Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll probably read this and fall on the floor laughing that anyone would ask such a dumb question, bit I'm new to working on cycles other than oil change or replacing a worn chain.
So, here it goes:
I have a 1983 GL1100 Interstate that I'm converting to a trike.
I've figured out the issue of reverse gear.
I'm currently going with a differential from a 240SX & building a custom IRS for it.
Someone brought up that car drive shafts rotate opposite to Goldwing Final Drive, so my question is, would it be possible to take two final drives & modify them to make one final drive with two axles to drive two wheels for a trike?
Let the laughs begin, but if you have any real info on this, please share!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess that would work as long as I don't have a vent tube aiming downward. If so, could add a p-trap to it to aim it up & keep diff oil from draining out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Typically you tap the vent for a plug as the new drain, then install a vent into the old drain plug hole. This kind of thing is done all the time for off road 4x4s. Since you are doing IRS that just makes it easier. With the high pinion you need to run the oil level a little higher so the pinion bearings don't starve. A lot depends on the diff. I'm not familiar with the 240SX, so I don't know the details.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
But the 4 cylinder wings rotate the same direction as most car drivelines. 6 cylinders rotate the opposite way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts