Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had been out shopping at Home Depot and was leaving. I was easing out in parking lot, dragging my feet on a slow take off. My leftfoot and toesgot hung on a speed bump and myheel hung under the saddle bag crash bar so I doubled my foot up, nearly broke my big toe and sent the weight of the bike downon my heel andtendons.It happened so fast I did not have time to react.Excruciating pain for about 20 minutes. Now foot and toe and tendons are all swollen and really sore.

Nothing feels broken just very sore. Iced it down but. :X

Lesson is to watch those dang speed bumps in the parking lot.:gunhead:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Any bad bruising or discoloration? If so you better go get x rays done, might not be bad idea either way...B safe, hope you heal up soon either way...

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

That sucks man! but I'll bet you ain't the first....:needahug:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your injury. I agree about the x-rays. Not sure, but cold packs might help reduce the swelling.

I get nervous when I see a rider with his feet off the pegs. They should be up on the pegs as soon as the bike is moving.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

now did you learn not to drag your feet........ it sux

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

I worry anytime I see someone dragging their feet like that. 2 of my brothers do it all the time. It's a good way to break bones in your feet and ankles. When I took my first MSF course in 86, that's one of the first things they told us, "GET YOUR FEET UP AS SOON AS THE BIKE STARTS MOVING!" They explained why and I've been doing it ever since. As soon as the bike's clutch starts engaging, my feet are up and they stay up until the bike comes to a stop. It's not hard. Practice it. I also practice coming to a stop and taking off again without putting my feet down. Your story is an excellent case in point of the dangers of dragging your feet when going slow. Hope you didn't break anything and you heal up fast.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that's why I avoid Home Depots. :ROFL:

Sorry to hear that. I ballast my feet just off the ground when in stop and go traffic at lights and backed up 4 way stops moving up a car at a time and stopping again. I call it slo-mo frog leaps. But you really gotta watch the road surface when doing that. I think a speed bump would have been something I'd notice before it got to my feet, however.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:ROFL: ok..ok...Well castigated...No more foot draggin. Learned my lesson. Guess I need to folow Rudys advice and stay away from Home Depot. :dance:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
:ROFL: ok..ok...Well castigated...No more foot draggin. Learned my lesson. Guess I need to folow Rudys advice and stay away from Home Depot. :dance:
I have a suspicion that there are "other reasons" rudy stays away from the HD.

Gee, Steve are you okay? Are you milking this for all it's worth with the lovely wife.

BTW... that is a mighty fine avatar shot you have there...

On the spring break ride we are going to have to plan a day, start early and buzz up to the 'Lupes and hike Mckittrick Canyon.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I've done similar things myself but always managed (so far) to avoid any real pain. You would think that after almost 40 years of riding I would know better.

Think again.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Just sore today. Nothing broken, I was lucky. Learned my lesson. I think, until next time. LOL. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

On my 2 4 cyclinder wings my feet are on the pegs before the bike is moving it seem's like.
But on the 1500 with the boards it seems to take a little longer to get the feet up.
Wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Won't help, they have speed bumps at Lowe's too.:action:I saw a guy pretty well mangle his foot when he managed to get it caught and ran over it with the rear wheel. Not only damaged his foot but I heard he also did a bunch more damage to his leg and shoulder when the foot solidly pinned to the ground didn't move but the bike was. It pulled him right off the bike which then fell on him. Never, Never drag your feet when riding a motorcycle.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
DrifterTex wrote:
......Never, Never drag your feet when riding a motorcycle.
+1, and also don't leave your foot under the shift lever when making a left turn. :shock:

Wilf, another good reason to get rid of those stinkin boards. :D Sorry, I just can't stand them on a Wing, for several reasons.

John

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Lesson is to watch those dang speed bumps in the parking lot.:gunhead:
Wrong.

lesson is to pick up your feet.

Are you one of those duck-walker types that I see on Harleys??

(Edit to say) - Sorry - got it wrong - you're one of the water-ski-type riders???

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

you're one of the water-ski-type riders???
LOL..yep, thats it!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Then stop it. You'ze-a-gonna hurt yourself even worse next time. Ever follow a highway patrol officer? Those feet go up on the pegs at 0.01 miles/hour, and come down when the bike has quit moving entirely.

Me thinks you need to visit a website and spend a few $$ on a DVD?

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

(oh, and before anyone flames me for picking on someone, I'll just as easily poke fun at myself, at any opportunity. I really just want to see a water-skiier to not do that any more. It should only be harley riders that waterski and duck walk.)

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your foot Drifter Tex !!! I see folks draging there feet (BOTH) around here all the time. In the stop and go stuff I do keep my left foot close to the ground when I know I'm only going to move a little. but if I see folks move in front of the line then I use the cluch/brake thing. I have had a kid on a street fighter ask me at the next light how I do that, so I took him to Smith's parking lot up the street and showed him how it's done just like the MOST trainded me a million years a go. But T-Rex's were had to drag your feet from. Thank You for reminding us all not to drag our feet. Hope you heal quick and get back to riding veary soon.:bowing::bowing::bowing::brokedown::action::action:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

ouch ...:shock:...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.