Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean I really cranked on them to the point I broke the head off the 1 any ideas of how how bad I might have messed things up
So, go back in and fix it.
You're probably the only person in the world who has ever had to do his carbs more than once. . :devilish:

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome well that mistake help me figure out that exhaust was loose from heads when I had gas spraying out of them see I just bought my goldwing a few weeks back first 1 I've owned it has good bones though

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Well I messed up I screwed pilot screws in all the way til I couldn't turn them anymore now my 83 gl1100 aspencade is is smoking and flooding really bad I did this during a rebuild today
The pilot screws didn't cause that. If you did a "rebuild" today you didn't do it right, a thorough rebuild takes a professional a couple days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pilot screws didn't cause that. If you did a "rebuild" today you didn't do it right, a thorough rebuild takes a professional a couple days.
You could be very well right that I didn't do something right but I did have carbs torn completely apart and back together again in a little over 11 hours and I'm going to do it again and be more ocd about it this time

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,726 Posts
there is more than just removing and putting parts back on.

the extra time a Pro takes, is using the UltraSonic cleaners to get all of the tiny idle circuits clean.

Various solutions have been used, for bigger parts at my work, I used Simple Green & water.

for carbs, I would use Carb Cleaner and watch the tank, you don't want to over do that process.

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Important to know the float settings are critical and aftermarket float valves almost never work.

Reactions: Luciferjoker

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
60 Posts
Well I messed up I screwed pilot screws in all the way til I couldn't turn them anymore now my 83 gl1100 aspencade is is smoking and flooding really bad I did this during a rebuild today
Listen to what the others are telling you, I've got lots of great advice in this forum. But I'd also take the time to search YouTube Videos, this guy: "Kanuck Korner " https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBjwLfyCR6hIZOhqCgX83kA

does a take down of 1983 Carbs.

That said: DON'T JUST WATCH ONE VIDEO! You get to see how different folks go about it and like Dave0430 Says. Don't skip cleaning the parts thoroughly.

I myself bought a parts bike and am in process of rebuilding that carb set. If I screw it up, I still have a set of fuctioning carbs to put back on the bike to get some ride time in.

Although I'm not so sure that's going to happen this summer. I drive School Bus and nobody wants to work these days. As I have the $100,000.00 asset (bus) sitting in my driveway, I keep getting called out. But we've got a heat wave in Oregon right now, so perhaps I'll get the bench work complete.

Good Luck! Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Listen to what the others are telling you, I've got lots of great advice in this forum. But I'd also take the time to search YouTube Videos, this guy: "Kanuck Korner " https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBjwLfyCR6hIZOhqCgX83kA

That said: DON'T JUST WATCH ONE VIDEO! You get to see how different folks go about it and like Dave0430 Says. Don't skip cleaning the parts thoroughly.

I myself bought a parts bike and am in process of rebuilding that carb set. If I screw it up, I still have a set of fuctioning carbs to put back on the bike to get some ride time in.

Although I'm not so sure that's going to happen this summer. I drive School Bus and nobody wants to work these days. As I have the $100,000.00 asset (bus) sitting in my driveway, I keep getting called out. But we've got a heat wave in Oregon right now, so perhaps I'll get the bench work complete.

Good

Good Luck! Alan
Everything went great except for the new gasket for the plenum it's leaking really bad

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
60 Posts
Like I said. There are many videos out there. Another Guy that did a review of the $30.00 carb kit specifically said that the Plenum O Rings appear to be smaller and suggested use of Permatex "Only on that gasket".

Again, it's your bike and most shops won't work on the older wings. I've had to do repairs over in the past by pressing on when I should have done some research first. Take the extra week to research the problems you will experience by not taking the time to do it right in the first place and don't skimp on the parts.

I got a bad Water Pump last year. Sure they replaced the pump, but the Gasket Set, Oil, Anti-freeze, and time for the do over outweighed what I saved on the pump.

Alan

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Like I said. There are many videos out there. Another Guy that did a review of the $30.00 carb kit specifically said that the Plenum O Rings appear to be smaller and suggested use of Permatex "Only on that gasket".
The only place you can get a good plenum gasket is Randakks. I would bark at anyone I saw using gasket sealer anywhere near a carburetor.

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
Dave, Dave, Dave................. We know Randakks is the place to go, but I was commenting on this video:

Anyhow, I was thinking about TIG Welding the halves together! :)

Alan
I know you were commenting on the video, me too. If you weld the halves together you can't get the carbs off, probably never get to seal off either.

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
60 Posts
I know you were commenting on the video, me too. If you weld the halves together you can't get the carbs off, probably never get to seal off either.
Dave. I know it's hot outside. It hit 115* in Oregon where I live today. But I was joking about the Carb Welds.

I apprieciate all the help I've received directly in this forum as well as indirectly reading others posts, but sometimes I have a dry sense of humor. Please Forgive! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts