Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the first time in 26 years of riding I dumped my GL1100 this morning. Wasn't going very fast, (construction zone had traffic crawling) and ultimately I and the bikeare fine (thankGawd forengine guards!) yet I am still a bit freaked by the whole experience :shock:. Lady in the cage ahead of me stopped short and as I apparently didn't, :X

wonderful feelings were generated by not a single cager offering any assistance, it's amazing how easy it is to pick up a >700 Lb bike when you are ticked off

read an article yesterday of a rider dying while racing down a Chicagoland expressway at 120 MPH, but at least he had a helmet on... <sarcasm mode off>

Let's all be carefull out there, I know I will be

j~

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I dropped my 1500 in similar circumstances last year. Crawling along past road works very slowly with my 30 year old son on pillion, traffic all restricted to one lane. The car in front of me slowed but its brake lights were not working and when I realized it I braked hard and lost the back wheel on the loose gravel. Incredibly whilewe wereon the ground the car driver behind me started sounding his horn because I was impeding his progress!My sonjumped up like a man possessed and made a grab at him through the window and grabbed the keys from the ignition and threw them into the nearby field. A couple of road workers helped us get the bike up and they had a good laugh at the cager trying to find his keys in the bushes. Can't say if he found them. I'm not condoning my sons actions but I understand why he lost it and it sure did take my mind off my sore ankle, which turned out to be broken!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Jonathan,

I admire you for admitting it!! It wakes us all up to read confessions like that !

I dropped one in 1967 doing 75 MPH , showing off!!

Dropped one in 1972 slow on wet railroad tracks on an angle in the dark, no excuse though!

Almost dumped it a week ago in my gravel drive way, thought I blew out my knee keeping it up !

If you got to dump it ,make sure you keep your leg out from under it, throw it down and sit on it side ways!

check it out for leaks for a while, good luck!

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Well if we are all going to get honest here, I was backing my bike into the garage last week, most of the way in I realized that the boy left his bicycle almost in the middle of the garage, so rather then put the stand down and get off as I should have I reached over andtried to move his bicycle, well needless to say I over extended and downmy pride and joy went, she went donwn gentle on to the guards. As I got off and looked at her, even though I was some what pissed I had to smile at how peasefull it looked. Like a big old sleeping hippo. Got her back, up thank the lord no damage at all, with the exeption of my pride for being so lazy in the first place. And oh ya the boys bike should be returning to earth any day now :eek:)

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Goldwinger, thanks , you gave me a good chuckle, picturing you reaching for that bike then maybe a few choice words as the Wing layed down for a short nap!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

:X A guy got killed here in Toronto today...went in to a guardrail at about "excessive speed"...unfortunately, the guys on the (what I call either "crotch rockets" or "bullet bikes") racing bikes are putting our insurance rates out of sight.

When I am cruising on the freeway at 60 m.p.h., and these guys "shoot by me like I'm standing still", I just get very angry. In addition to putting our insurance rates up, they are making us all look bad in the public's eye.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

It's the smae story over here dean. The insurance companies use any excuse to up the rates, even though most of the bikers killed are either not at fault, no other vehicle is involved or they don't have fully comp rates so there is no payout anyway! So-called open European market and all we have is two (British owned) companies doing motorcycle insurance and they keep the prices up between them.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Seeing as it's confesion time, I have to fess up that I've dropped (actually slid) my 1200 twice. Both t imes at walking pace on gravel. In futuer I'll probably welly it through the gravel, might stand a better chance of keeping the wheels down.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Speaking of dropping precious objects.

Picture this .

I had just bought my dream machine after many years of yearning , a 1500 se . On picking the bike up from the previous owner , iwarmed it up before taking off gently , to negotiate around the parked car in front----whooo to many revs - chop the throttle off !!! and we all know what happens when you do that at slow speed and big chunk of steering lock on a wing. I GOT 2 FEET AND DROPPED MY WING :?

Can anybody beat this clown i doubt it ?

Lucky for me it missed touching the parked cars . My only excuse is that it was my very first ride on a wing. Five months on i'm still wary at slow speeds but improving now i know about draging the back brake with power on and where did i learn that---- here on steves pages. ;)

allan

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Hi all,:D

Good to see topics like this as we at some stage all fear the worst I own 1500 and I had an exsperience but on my 850 suzuki the road was wet concrete road was doing about 10 mph went to stop applied my back brake gently and the back of the bike started to overtake the front,quickly off the brake countered steered and all was ok.

Now I was thinking if I was on the goldwing with linked brakes what were the chances of me losing the bike all together both wheels would have locked with the bike sliding away from underneath me.Does any one have simular thoughts are linked best or not.:shock:

All the best guys

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I dropped my 1500 once on gravel as I was pulling into a hotel car park. Gently braked and down the bike went on the crashbars. I hate gravel now as its is so unpredictable. I locke dthe back wheel once when riding in Dublin. Behind a bus in the wet riding slowly (about 20mph) and the bus stopped but had no brake lights. I braked hard and locked the back wheel and had to release the brakes as the rear of the bike started to become the front. When I let go the brakes the bike straightened up and then I feathered the brakes for a dignified stop. I've heard this before that the back wheel is the one that locks on the 1500 and never the front, but that was my first experience of it myself.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I dropped my Harley in a way that can NEVER happen with a 'Wing. The starter solonoid went out one day and I had to use the kicker. I failed to notice it was in 1st gear and as I kicked it (fortunately it did not fire) it rolled forward and fell over. Fortunately I was able to break it's fall with nothing more than a scuffed mirror and derby cover.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I guess I must make my confession too. I dropped my Wing four times since I got it in early May this year. Once was in my garage.I had just pulled in, kicked out the side stand, and started to get off the bike whenit became obvious that the stand hadn't come out all the way and was folding back in. That was the second one in the garage, the first was pushing her backwards out of the garage. The other two were practicing at low speeds making sharp turns, forgot about the linked brakes and tapped the rear. The only good thing about this is that they all occured in May and I haven't fouled up recently. I really think the crash bars on this bike are great!

My bike was wrecked before I got it and has some road rash on the bars. I was going to replace them as part of the restoration but think I will wait a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Dropped my 1500 once at low speed turning into my sister house in the country. Wet leaves + those horrible K491 tyres made the bike slide and end up on the bars. No damage to the Wing, broken little finger for me. At least the bike was okay! :D

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

A bunch of us were on a Sunday ride recently, when one of the women riders forgot to put the sidestand out on her bike and itfell over. Thankfully, her bike is something like aHonda 650cc so not a full blown Wing and no damaged occurred.

So, I told her about this thread and not to worry as once you get the conversation started, everyone does something stupid on their bike that usually ends up in a drop of some kind.

I also told her about the message I had read where someone forgot to put the side stand back up and dropped the bike that way!

So, of course, we finish our gas station break, and I take off ... with the friggin'sidestand still out!

Heard a good bang and looked down and saw it. Luckily it didn't cause me to wipe out, but I sure looked like an idiot.

Of course, I only did it to make her feel better ... no really ... really ... :shock:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

:D:D:DThat sounds like something I would do. Ya gotta laugh.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,497 Posts
imported post

I've never dropped mine. :rollingeyes:

But I had it up to 185 mph today.

It gets 96 mpg at that speed.

And 40,000 miles on a set of tires.

I'm 30 years old and my bike will run forever.

I own the Golden Gate and Brooklyn bridges.

Any questions?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Hey, I think your bike really is going to live forever!!!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This post is almost 5 years old! :(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.