Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

how long should a dunlap " elite" tire last under normal riding conditions?

1982 "1100"goldwing I way 200pounds

don't worry about the mule , just load the [email protected]#$%^&*.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Depends a lot on how you ride and the loads you carry. I just replaced a DunlopElite 3 on the rear of my 1500 this week. The tire had around 25,000 miles on it. The tread wasn't too bad but there was a lot of cupping, I could have gotten a few thousand more miles out of it but the noise on the curves was beginning to annoy me. I ride mostly solo, especially in the winter. The woman who hangs around here isn't impressed with cold weather riding.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I am never able to get that kind of mileage from any kind of tire,,,Elite III's or II's,,,,,,if I get 13,000 to 16,000 miles from a tire before its completely worn thru to the air its good ,,,,, and I will ride one all the way down., I ride everyday ,commutor, grocery shopping etc. I average about 125 miles a day 5 days a week.
The Elite III Exavid is useing is most likely a radial tire,,,, not all of the Elite III are.. They do not make a steel radial for my rim sizes.17 in rear and 19 inch front., you can get them for the 16 inch rear cast wheel and the cast 18 in. front.
I think they must last longer.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

I have E-IIs on my 76 with 15k miles. Still looks good enough to go another 10k. Almost always ride 2 up.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

For me, it is not so much how many miles I can get out of a set of tires. But more my feelings about how safe a tire is.
A near new tire in both tread and age, performs much better than a tire 3/4 warn out or more. I like to think of tires, especially on a heavy Touring bike, a lot like my brother does on his airplane. A tire failure or blowout is not the same as with a car!!
That being said, I don't feel 5000 miles on a motorcycle tire is exceptable. But after 8000 - 10,000 miles, I feel it's time to start thinking about a new bologna. This, as I agree with what has been stated above, depends on ones riding conditions and riding style.
Just my 2.765 cents.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
The Elite III Exavid is useing is most likely a radial tire,,,,
Nope, it's a bias ply. You can't get an E3 radial that will fit in the 1500 swing arm.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

i have elite II on my 82 aspencade only got about 6000 miles was not wore out but getting there front still looks like new after 10.000 miles thought i would get more out back tire.i ride solo 90% of time.weight about 190#put new tire on just to be safe.:waving::waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.