Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just ordered a Dunlop D404 150/90-15 for my 84 Aspy. Is this a mistake?:shock: I now see that 491's are what people talk about on this forum.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

491's are most popular with US riders. Not so popular in Europe as they take a good few miles to warm up properly. Haven't heard of many 1200s using 404s.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

austinstreetman wrote:
I just ordered a Dunlop D404 150/90-15 for my 84 Aspy. Is this a mistake?:shock: I now see that 491's are what people talk about on this forum.

I just put a new set of 491s on my 1200I, seems to be the most popular for this model. I looked at all the others.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

After reading many posts on this topic on this site, and talking with more experienced 'Wingers,I've ordered a set of Metzleler ME880's for my 1984 Aspencade. The Elite II's may be more popular, but I've never felt comfortable with them in the wet and the compound is too hard.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

keener wrote:
After reading many posts on this topic on this site, and talking with more experienced 'Wingers,I've ordered a set of Metzleler ME880's for my 1984 Aspencade.
Hey Keener :gunhead: I dont know who you were talking too, :stumped: but i can assure you they were not any more experienced than the "Gurus" :weightlifter:who use this forum. :clapper:All these guys are a cut above the rest.

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I'm also looking into replacing my worn 491s with the Metzeler 880. What is the major difference between a radial tire and a bias-ply tire. I noticed in the denniskirk rag they put a "Be conscious of the differnence between radial tires and bias-ply tires when switching sizes." They also have the Metzeler as the "Top Pick". I was kind of bummed when I found out the Metzelers don't have raised white letters like the 491s. I'm not a big white wall fan. Thanks...Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jim, what model Goldwing do you have. I was under the opinion that you could only put bias ply tires on all but the 1800s. I don't think the rims of the previous models would accept radials.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Sorry, Redwing. I know you're a big fan of Bridgestones but...

As for mounting radials on a 1200, information gained from this site and other sources, strongly advise staying with bias ply. I e-mailed Dunlop re the Elite 3's for my bike and was told to stay with bias ply.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Redwing, I didn't mean I spoke with 'Wingers with more experience than the gurus on this great site. I meant I had spoken with additional experienced 'Wingers over and above those who so professionally offer valid advice and comments on Steve's site.

This is always my first source and shall remain so. Sorry for the unintentional slight!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Jim, what model Goldwing do you have. I was under the opinion that you could only put bias ply tires on all but the 1800s. I don't think the rims of the previous models would accept radials.
Exavid, I have a 85 GL1200i. The tires are worn and from what I have read here better safe than sorry. I just did get the bike last month, and could probably get another season out of the front but the rear needs it for sure. I figured I would get them both replaced and have the carbs tunes at the same time.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

keener wrote:
Redwing, I didn't mean I spoke with 'Wingers with more experience than the gurus on this great site.

This is always my first source and shall remain so. Sorry for the unintentional slight!
Hey keener :waving: Thats ok friend, you dont have to apolgise or explain your mesg to me. I just have to support the "Gurus" on this forum :weightlifter:because they are all very shy and they dont like praisingthemselves. :crying:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

keener wrote:
Hey keener :waving: Yes Bridgestones on every vehicle i own including my Honda 50cc. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
keener wrote:
Hey keener :waving: Yes Bridgestones on every vehicle i own including my Honda 50cc. :clapper:

I would not run a Bridgestone-Firestone on my wheelbarrow, much less my wing or autos....

dean_3326

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
I would not run a Bridgestone-Firestone on my wheelbarrow.
Hey dean_3326 :waving: hey man i dont have a wheelbarrow. :whip:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
I would not run a Bridgestone-Firestone on my wheelbarrow.
Hey dean_3326 :waving: hey man i dont have a wheelbarrow. :whip:

Hey Redwing,:waving:

You are welcome to borrow mine,, you won't have to worry about tread seperation ...

unless you hook it up to your :18pink:.:shock: :baffled:

I just got back from a 100 mile run in 78 degrees and sunshine.:clapper:...It don't get any better unless you go farther....:goofygrin:

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
I would not run a Bridgestone-Firestone on my wheelbarrow, much less my wing or autos....

dean_3326
I've had Firestone tires on my Dodge 3/4 ton for years. I'm on my third set with just over 200,000 miles on the clock. A lot of these miles were racked up on rough roads in Mexico and Alaska with a 3000lb. camper on board. In all that time I've never had a problem with one.

I do remember the Firestone 500 fiasco in years past, but they've been good to me. I had Bridgestone on several bikes and they served well. I've got Shinn in my wheelbarrow and it is also performing well, carried many a load of rocks and concrete for me.

I guess if I'd personally been stung by a brand I might feel as you do, but in all honesty I don't remember ever having a brand of tires that were bad performers. But then I might be a bit obtuse!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:

dean_3326
I've had Firestone tires on my Dodge 3/4 ton for years. I'm on my third set with just over 200,000 miles on the clock. A lot of these miles were racked up on rough roads in Mexico and Alaska with a 3000lb. camper on board. In all that time I've never had a problem with one.

I do remember the Firestone 500 fiasco in years past, but they've been good to me. I had Bridgestone on several bikes and they served well. I've got Shinn in my wheelbarrow and it is also performing well, carried many a load of rocks and concrete for me.

I guess if I'd personally been stung by a brand I might feel as you do, but in all honesty I don't remember ever having a brand of tires that were bad performers. But then I might be a bit obtuse!

:waving::15red::waving:
From what I have read from your posts I would say you are definitely not obtuse.
I believe you are the first person over 50 years old I have heard say they have never had any problems with any brand of tires, remarkable,,,,,,,especially considering how many years we have been here on this old earth..you must be living right to be so lucky.If you never had a bad performance with tires,You must not have ever had any B F Goodrich tires then. I suppose Firestone almost going bankrupt a couple of years ago because of faulty tires and lawsuits is nothing to worry about. I believe poor quality and workmanship was the culprit. But they want to blame air pressures......I guess everyone with other brands always kept proper air pressure and just the Firestone owners neglected to check it.....I do know Ford Motor Company dropped them..I do not doubt you have had good luck with some of their tires, The only brand that I have seen that were worse that firestone was B F Goodrich,,,,,. It is all a matter of choice, that is what is great about this country we all have choices.
..It is just my personal experiences and my opinions, We all have to follow our own path. I am sure someone somewhere has had bad experiences with each and every brand. I see Nascar Dropped firestone like a hot potato also....but I believe the Indy cars still run Firestones. Happy and safe riding to everyone no matter what brand they choose...It is all about having fun and being safe.
I suppose we have all run bridgestones on our bikes at one time or another sincea lot of them were equipedwith them from the factorys Happy Riding.
dean_3326..:12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Keener, you won't regret the 880s, they are about the best of the bunch for the 1200. The 491s are terrible in the wet, first thing we usually do when we import Wings from the sunny USA is dump the 491s for a softer tyre with more grip. Don't be apologising to old Redwing, he spends too much time disecting our posts for typos etc. Not much else to do in the wilderness that Redwing calls home! :p

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Not much else to do in the wilderness that Redwing calls home! :p
Hey BRowan :gunhead: At least everyone knows where my home is. :jumper:But we wont know where you have your tent pitched :crying:as long as you keepthe location on your profile blank. :whip:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I went over to Metzelers when I dallied with a K-100 Beemer between my wings, not to mention between my legs!:shock:I never went back to Dunlops, It's funny I came within a hair of buying a 491 for the front of my new/old 1200 today but the price difference was nil and the Metzeler rear is a 90 profile vs the Dunlop 85 and that will bring the Digital speedo more in line with reality. I got 30,000 miles out of my Front Metzelers on the 1100 and 17-20k out of the rear. The only whine I have against Metzeler is that their carcass is more permeable than Dunlop's. It's not unusual for a Metz to loose 4 psi every week or so. The Dunlops once broke in hold air forever. The Metzelers are much better in rain and are more sticky but not at the cost of hardly any mileage. I ran Marathons, then ML-2's on my 1100 with no problems so I don't think the ME-880 will be a problem on the 1200.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.