Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I think I was wrong once!
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have not used Dunlop Elite 2 or Eite 3 tires or have not used EBC Double H pads then please respect that a reply to this thread is not needed.:)

When I purchased my wing back in Jun it had a "like new" tire on the back and a ok looking tire on the front but after driving her only 6,000 miles I see I will need to put tires and brakes on my Chirstmass wish list. The brand tires I have are name brand but seem to have worn alot in only 6K miles.

I have a 86 Aspincade and would like your past experince with Dunlop Elite 2 or Elite 3 tires and / or EBC double H pad. After getting some replys to this post I may start a new thread asking for more information on other brands but for now I'm only intrested in hearing about these.

My questions are...
1) Do you like them?
2) Would you put them on your bike again?
3) Are they worth the extra $$?
4) How do they handle on wet pavment?
5) About how meny miles did you get from them?
6) Do you ride with a passager alot, alittle, or never?

Thanks
Larry

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
see you are riding a GL1200, like me, have not used the EBC HH pads, but IMHO, the OEM pads pull the bike up just fine, I have on occasion, had to stop very quickly, and they have never let me down, and don't see much point in going away from OEM pads.

I have ridden on the E3

(1) yes, they give a slightly harder ride, but have a very light feel, and can be noisy when cornering

(2) no, I had lamination problems with them, (this is not the norm though) and I prefer the softer riding Avons

(3) in my humble opinion, no.

(4) the tires are great under any circumstances, have the ability to flatten out tar snakes.

(5) not sure, I consider performance to be more of a priority than mileage.

(6) no passenger.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I had a Elite 2's on my 1200 when I got it, but they were 26 years old, 8500 miles on them, still looked new but they were 26 years old. I looked at 2's again, but price was prohibitive. I put a shinko 230 on the rear and loved it, but it only got 8000 miles, but it was also $80, and for the price, it rode like a Cadillac and stuck to the road like no other. When it wore out I went back to the Elite II......... 4000 miles later it's Bald to the bone! Had good tread when we left the house, drove 300 miles and it's now bald! Would I buy them again? Not a chance! Worst tire for wear I had ever seen.

I have Pilot GT's on my 1500 and love them, but they are not made anymore so I went with elite 3 on the front, only have a few hundred on that right now but others say they have good luck with them.

I put one of the newer Michelin commander II on the 1200 when we were in Tellico Plains and the E2 went on us......... Commander II so far rides nice and holds the road well, but only have about 500 miles on it so to early to tell anything else.

Oh, By the way...... I use sintered HH brake pads...... HUGE difference in braking power! I put them on my 1200 when I was pulling my trailer and had no issues at all with stopping. Just ordered another set for the 1500, will be doing the rear brakes this weekend when I put my Austone Taxi tire on.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I have a 86 Aspincade and would like your past experince with Dunlop Elite 2 or Elite 3 tires and / or EBC double H pad .... but for now I'm only intrested in hearing about these.

My questions are...
1) Do you like them?
5) About how meny miles did you get from them?

Thanks
Larry
I expect almost anyone .... not all, but dang near all .... who've had a GW long have had either Elite II or Elite 3 tires, many the EBC HH Pads.

On my '85 GL-1200-A I do have Dunlop Elite II tires F & R and this is the latest of several sets, I've also had Dunlop Elite GT tires (no longer made) as well as Bridgestone Spitfire Touring.

As to Elite II Dunlops then ....
1)Yes

2)Yes, if priced right
3)They wear better than cheaper tires so "yeah"
4)Haven't gone down, but I have felt what I thought was "slip" a time or two
5)10-12,000
6)Mostly one up now on the 1200, used to always have wife on it though .... she prefers we take the Trike when she's going.

As to EBC HH pads then ....
1)They were "OK", aggressively grippy even
2)Likely not unless I can't get OEM (I removed them early for OEM)
3)They weren't then or now, but if I could not get others ... yes
4)I did not like the EBC HH in rain
5)Removed them before wearing out, have them as spares now. I was more concerned by rotor life shortening. I can still stop her in a hurry with OEM pads using more pressure.
6)Mostly one up now on the 1200, used to always have wife on it though .... she prefers we take the Trike when she's going.

On the subject of EBC HH pads, they also turned my 1200s rotors a deep dark blue looking color and I noticed the rotors were wearing noticeably.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,947 Posts
I have E2s on my 76 that have over 22k miles. They are wearing great without cupping. I have never had a problem with them and I have ridden many miles in the rain. If available I will buy another set when needed.
I use E3s on the 93 and the last set was replaced at around 24k miles. The only complaint is they cup very early and then they sing to you. Very annoying but an acceptable trade off for the high mileage.

·
dlg14
178 Posts
I have E3's on my 1500 and stock pads which do fine so to answer your questions here goes.

1. Yes, very much.
2. In a heartbeat.
3. Yes.
4. I rode the Dragon with E3's in the wet and I'm still here, they handle great in the wet, in my opinion.
5. The front has about 18,000 miles on it and should go a few thousand more, the rear I expect to get at least 15,000 but you gotta watch the pressures.
6. I mostly ride alone :-(

Hope this was some help.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Love the E3's.E2's not so much.Had them on my 1200 and now the 1500.Tried the Pilot GT'S and they were OK,but more money and no better than the E3's.Have used the EBC's for quite a while and will continue to.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Now that the Michelin Pilot GTs are no longer made, the Dunlop E3s are the only MC tire worthy of my purchase. Never had a problem with them.

I regularly get in excess of 25,000mi out of them, but you have to keep your pressures up!! (42PSI front and 44PSI rear)
While not THE best in wet conditions, they are right up there. The rear will get noisy after it starts cupping.
I rarely ride with a passenger, but I do ride a lot of miles with a heavily laden bike while Moto Camping.

Here's a very recent shot where I just picked up a new front E3 for my bike (along with a CT for the rear) after an 18 day camping trip, which I just installed Tuesday

Those cheaper tires that are half the price are lucky to get anywhere near half the mileage and so end up costing a fair bit more in the not so long run.

As for brake pads .... stick with the OEM pads for decent performance and longer pad/rotor life.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
I use the Dunlop E-3's so....

My questions are...
1) Do you like them?

A passionate love affair is more accurate...

See responce #1

See responce #1

See responce #1

5) About how many miles did you get from them?

Don't know yet but above 8000 for sure! :grin:

Not very often, no....

Thanks
Larry
Alot has been said about the E-3's making noise after about 5000-8000 miles or so.. My responce is either repair the friggin' stereo or turn it up with some CCR and ride that thang!!!!:cool::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.