Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys ,
I have an 89 GL1500 and a friend just bought a 90 GL1500SE , we both will soon need new tires. We both currently have Dunlop Elite 2's , he called a local independent shop to enquirer on prices of E3's and the owners opinion of the of the Dunlop E3's was not that favorable. He told my friend he would sell him any tire he wants to purchase but in his experience 7000 miles he will be back needing at least a new rear tire. Just wondering what kind of mileage people that use this forum and have run Dunlop Elite 3's are getting. Neither one of us are canyon dancers ! Shop owner said in his opinion Michelin tires were the best mileage tires available but they are a little squirrely if you ride very hard ?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

My rear tire has 13000 +mi this is the second set. the first set only got 13000mi. but now i have centramatic's. I ride 2 up towing a trailer on long trips (2k-4k)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

On my 1500, my last set had 10,000 on them and very cupped and down to the wear bar. The set that were on the bike when I received it, had 10,000 and I put another 4,000 0n them which was @ 1,000 more than should have been. They got real squirrelly on damp roads. I won't use them again. They were better than the Metzlers I had on my 1100 is about all I can say good for the E3s.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have gotton 13-17k out of the front, and 16-19k out of the rear over my last three sets of E3's.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm hard on them, and the rear E3 on my GL-1200 got me 12k.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't let REDWING see this but my Bridgestone rear tire is cupping as much as my E3s did. Looks like I'll get about the same mileage out of the tire as I did on my E3 but the cupping is a bit worse.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

About 15000 on my 1100 before needing new 1.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I liked the E3s on my Valk. Running OEM recommended tire pressures they got 12,000 miles without cupping. I still run the E3 on the front.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

15-17k front and rear with 41-44psi. I ride hard and if I softened up a lil may be able to squeeze 20k.
psi and throttle make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

i CAN ONLY GET 8-9K OUT OF E3'S TRIED 2 SETS CALLLED THE FACTOR REP. hE TOLD ME NOT TO EXPECT ANY MORE THAN THAT PULLING A TRAILER. wE RIDE 750-850 A DAY REP SAID THAT WITH THAT KIND OF MILES THE TIRE WONT COOL DOWN:sadguy: i WILL NEVER USE E3'S AGAIN AT 220.OO EACH (OR 420.00 IF YOU LOOSE ONE IN MICHIGAN AND NEED ONE REPLACED.) i CHECKED AIR EVERY 2-3 DAYS DIDNT MAKE A BIT OF DIFF 41 IN BOTH. THEY ARE AWSOME IN THE TWISTYS BUT I HAVE TO RIDE 300 TO FIND TWISTYS GOING TO THE DARKSIDE ON THE REAR. mY VALK DOSEN'T SEEM TO MIND IT SO WHY NOT ON A WING?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I got 6000 miles from a front E3, 10,500 from the back. About average miles I believe. I found them extremely noisy and won't buy E3's again.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I got 6000 miles from a front E3, 10,500 from the back. About average miles I believe. I found them extremely noisy and won't buy E3's again.
Ted ... with those mileage figures, I can only assume those were on your 1800, just like T's were.

Note my earlier post regarding the 1800s and (motorcycle) tires.

Must have something to do with the radial construction.:?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Yep, I agree with Ken.

My E3s have 5,000 miles on them and still look brand new w/o any perceptible wear showing.

That's on a GL1500

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

How can anyone get 22k on a set.front maybe,... a friend had e-2 and went 17500, to check the air presure you didnt need a gauge they were so thin. i would have to see to believe

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

E2s and E3s are different tire compounds, just like the Bias E3s for the 1500s and the Radial E3s for the 1800s.

I regulary get in excess of 35,000 - 40.000km/22,000 - 25,000mi on my rear biasE3 ... and I ain't no dawdler! :readit:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I'm running E-3s and put 10500 on last year including the Dragon and Bluegrass Parkway. Rear is cupped, but still has about 1/3 tread left. Let ya know how I comwe out. They are noisy but still hold good.1999 1500 SE, not and don't let grass grow under me!!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Hi ken what do you think my problem is? i have tried a new gauge,had it calibrated. run 41 psi mostly 2 up and loaded (it is my tour bike) run 750-860 per day check when cool in am,it never seems to move maybe add air 1 a month, did north shore to newyork dc, all of blue ridge and skyline, dragon, lots of great roads in tn. in 8 days got home tires look like crap, sound bad, starting to cup on rear 8600 miles put it up on center stand there is a wobble just like the one i took off 3 months before we left it had 9200 on it. not a bad wobble but if you stand a block close maybe a 1/16th. i noticed darkside. can i get a 60 on back to drop rev's a bit and get better gear ratio's? on a another note i did the unthinkable i bought a Hardley 96 st lightning for my boy he turned 15 and got his permit but when i got it home to show it to him the damn thing already marked it new home:gunhead:sounds nice though. Hejust put a pan under it :wtf:I am spoiled i guess

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey backroads
If you haven't had a welcome to the forum you have it now.
I did the Dragon in Nov on my return leg to SoCal from Bar Harbor Me and NH.

The last 1/3 wears out fast, specially if ya don't let the grass grow under ya.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.