Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I live in Minneapolis, and bought a 1999 GL1500A last month. Front and rear tires are Dunlops Elite 3s.Both tires are belted bias, so it's not a radial-belted mix issue.

I like cold-weather riding, but apparently the front tire doesn't. I looked at previous threads here on the Elite 3 over the last couple of years, and there seems to be a general dislike for this line. I did notice some oflean andtracking problems since I got the bike, but haven't had that much chance to ride.I just put it down to learning how the bike likes to ride. It felt like the bike was having trouble balancing, especially on turns. Didn't want to keep the line.

The last week, I have been riding in cold weather, about 31 F to 20 F. The front tire seems to really not like cold weather, as the handling is completely different.The issues are much more noticeable as it got colder. It doesn't like turns, and has trouble staying balanced and straight. I have checked the wheel, bearings, steering stem, etc. No play anywhere. The only factor that is different is the weather. The front tire seems extremely rigid on the sidewall. Good tread, even still has the little feelers on the sides.

Would appreciate hearing if others have had trouble with this tire, and what is recommended for a 99 GL1500A besides this tire. The OE tire is a Dunlop K177, but they seem to be hard to find. Appreciate any info, Dick

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

I have relatives in Eden Praire and they head for Florida when it gets that cold. I don't know if you will find anyone who rides in 20 degree weather. I love the E 3s but I don't ride when it gets below 40.:waving:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

We have been doing a little riding in those kind of temps. I have never run the E,3s But I love my Michelin Pilots no matter what the temp.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

Sorry can't help you on this one, don't ride when it get that cold. And in Florida that abot 5 days a year.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I try to ride 52 weeks a year in NH, and have been out in -20+ or would that be.. -20-F :).

Anywho, I run my tires soft. Both, in the low 30's. Multiple reasons. Sand, Pesky black ice, etc.

I'm always sliding a little here and there, but if you grew up dirt bike riding, you get used to it, albeit having 850lbs going out from under you does take some getting used to... but the reward is the view in your rear-view mirrors of how the traffic has decided to slow and give the nut in the wing enuf room to crash :)

Oh... I'm running bald E2's.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

anythingoutside wrote:
but the reward is the view in your rear-view mirrors of how the traffic has decided to slow and give the nut in the wing enuf room to crash :)

Oh... I'm running bald E2's.
You really have to respect an honest man...:D :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

My Wing has a Dunlop E II on the front and I just recently replaced the rear with an OEM Dunlop K177. Believe it or not, my Wing seems to now track better than before.
When riding parallel with seams in the roadway or over a slightly uneven pavement transitions, the bike dosen't seem to "wiggle"? as much.

When the time comes(this coming spring, I will replace the front E II for a K177. This may be a mistake but I can't afford to play with different tire combos. Too expensive!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I didnt have any problems with my Metzelers on my V-Star in the cold, but I know the Wing is a different animal. First winter for me with the wing too.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i have a michelin pilot gt on the front right now, but had a dunlop e3 on the last 2 winters, & a dunlop e3 on the rear since early last winter & i had the dunlop k177 front & rear the first 2 winters i had the bike.

i will ride long distances down into the 40s (sometimes upper 30s) & i comute to work 8-9 miles each way down into the 20s.

i have noticed that when it is colder the bike seems a little more squerly even after riding for over an hour & especially at the begining of the runs. i personally have never really noticed a difference between the different tires under comparable conditions. i have just assumed that the tires don't heat up as much in the cold so they don't get the full grippyness that they would in 70+ degree weather.

i just with i could find a way to stay warm below 40 degrees without spending $1,000 on heated gear or having on so many layers that i can't move & it taking 15 minutes to get the stuff on & off.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I just put Elite 3's on my new to me 1500.I like them alot. I think 38 is as low as I have ridden. The tires were OK to me. I did put a Super-Brace on at the same time. That probably has a effect on it.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Have you considered that as the temperature goes down so does the tire pressure?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, I've had the E3s on my 1500A for quite a while now, and while it is true that almost any bias ply tire will be stiff in cold weather, I ride 25 miles each way daily, and I keep the pressure at 41/41, I have the super brace, and I love the way the tires handle all road surfaces compared to the K177s which were the worst, and the E2s, which were good, but not as good in a curve or wet roads as the E3s. I've ridden in temps as low as 20 F., usually don't ride if it gets colder than that, since I am not a spring chicken anymore. But other than being a noisy tire, I really like the E3s. And Arkansas has lots of curves, so I like to really lay it over at times and scrap the pegs a little, and the E3s stick like glue compared to the others. I plan on trying the Pilots that Rudy and others talk about all the time, however, I have to wear these things out first, and at the rate they are wearing, it will be a while. But over the years I've found that all bias ply tires take a while to warm up, I've had some that thumped so bad when they were cold, that you hated that first 10 miles or so, and were afraid to make any quick moves with them. Another thing, as a tire get older, the rubber stiffens, you might want to look at the dates on your tires and make sure they are not "old new stock" tires, since the E3s have been out only about 4 years or so, you could have some of the earliest tires, which would be stiffer with age.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I would suggest that just about any tire that you try will exhibit different characteristics over a range of ambiant temperatures, including the E III. Also, you say that the bike is relatively new to you and I can recall how I felt during the first few weeks of riding my Wings. A lot of the tracking problemsare rider induced until you get used to the bike. I have driven my E III equipped Wing in similar temps and experienced no special problems.--Other than being c- c ol-d.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, folks, for all the info. All good and helpful. Here's the update: It was the tire. I replaced it with a Metzler 880 tonight, and went for a 20-mile ride in 22 degree, clear weather. No more weaving, wobbling, weird tracking, etc.

But to be fair to Dunlop, upon closer inspection, the wear bars in the center of the tread were starting to show and that probably had something to do with the handling issues. They aren't very big, and I didn't see them until the tire was off the wheel and I could look at it in good light. But I am happy with the Metzler, and will probably replace the back tire with another ME 880 over the winter.

So far, no snow or ice on the streets here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. However, that is going to change, probably tomorrow. At least, if I have to put my little red rocket sled up for the next 3 months, I know the front tire issue is resolved. Thanks again and I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving. Dick

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem with my '85 Aspy with E3's, Dick, so you are not dreaming! Nothing dangerous by any means, but when I'm riding below 40 degrees, there's just that slight wobble that grabs your attention. Oddly enough, even after putting onsome miles riding the tire never seems to "warm up" and lose that pull/wobble/squirreliness. It really doesn't bother me enough to want to get another tire; especially since I only have about 3K on this one. I live just South of you a few miles, so we're riding on the same kind of roads for the most part. 35E and 35W can have some weird stretches that just want to pull the bike one way or the other, too; I've never been able to figure those out!

Let's both keep an eye on what's happening with the tires and see if we can figure this one out. Thanks for posting this thread, Dick, I thought it was just me!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Ok, I will chime in here. I have an E3 on the front of my 1500. The tire has close to 11k on it now but its no where NEAR being worn out. Like DickKelso said have too noticed a bit of a wiggle on mine. On my 1500 its just something I noticed lately. I do need to have the steering head bearings checked as I have begun to feel a bit of play from that area of the steering. The tires I am just chalking up to getting worn in good. Its going to be replaced with a Michelin Pilot GT. The coldest I have ridden here is 26deg.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I have a venom up front on mine no problems with it and its near the point of changing exedra on the back got a metz Marathon M2 for the front next

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.