Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need a new set of tires for my 84 Interstate, who on here is running the Dunlop elite II or elite III seres tires on their Wing?

How well do these tires work in Wet weather?

Thaks for your help!

Mike

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

I have an E3 on the front of my 1100 Interstate and it semms to work quite well. I survived a central IL thunderstorm on it.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I have E3s on both ends of my 1200, and like 'em fine. They are a little louder than the E2s were, but are fantastic in the rain - and don't "follow" tar snakes, and cracks like the E2s did.

Mine have 10k miles on 'em, and look like they might get another 7 or 8k. I'd get 'em again, and will probably put 'em on the 1500 as well.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have them on my 1200 and the ride well, The front tire has about 20 K on it now and will replaced shortly with another E3.

Ritchie & Lyn :waving:

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

whoo hooo, it has been a while since this can of worms has been opened....no dunflops for me..

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I know some gl1500 owners who don't like the E3 in the wet and they think the rubber is too hard. Some of them went to Metzelers instead.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I dont like riding any tire in the rain :) that being said, I have the EIII bias tires on my 85 now and had them on for about a year.
I like the feel of them, they do make a lot of noise when cornering, I just turn the radio up :)
Everyone has a different outlook on their choice of tire, I have never used other than Dunlop or Michelin on my Wing so I cant compare with other makes.
My next set of tires will be EIII

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I've hot 12,000 miles on my Elll's, & another pair in the garage waiting. Don't mind the noise - it's a "motorcycle" enjoy it. :action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

I'm on my 3rd set of E3's.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I like the fact that they don't tend to follow tar snakes and they're much better on steel grated bridges as well.

I seem to ride a lot in the rain and haven't had any issues with them.

The definately howl in the corners as they get worn but you get used to it (kinda).

:waving:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I did countless hours of research on tires for my 1500.

The Metzelers had too many reports of tread separations & scared me off. Long story short, all the info I could find got me to Avons & E IIIs.

Once, I actually brought it up at a goldwing group meeting [who all knew wingers from all over] & they had the same conclusion + Bridgestone, so I justwent with the EIIIs. A coin toss between them, for me at the time.

After 40+ years of big bikes &endlesstires over 400k miles, I'd say the EIII/GL1500 combo is the best I've had, so far.

I'll always be looking for something better, though.

Most important is to look at manufacture date 'stamped' in tire, it need to be 4 digits, last 2 digits are the year made.

Tires only have a shelf life of 6 years [this is regulated in the UK, but NOT in the U.S.].

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Im running E3, i dont usually go out if its raining, but if it rains while im in the road. i always continue my trip, and always have had good braking response on my E3

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I have EIII s on my bike. This is the second set and other than the noise, I like them.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I've run about 10,000 so far on my E-III's since June of last year and have had no problems. Good grip in the curves and I'm not bashful about dragging a peg now and then. There is another thread on this site called "Best Tires for GL1500" That has a lot of comments and a couple of other suggestions for 1500 and 1800 wings.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I do like them in the rain. I have felt very confident in the wet stuff but honestly haven't had any real scarry moments though.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I had elite 2 on my 84 and couldn't wait to get them off. I then put e3's on and loved them.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I've had 5 sets of tires on my 04 1800A.

Original set of Dunlops that came with the bike. First rear tire replaced at 900 miles for a nail :X. 2nd rear tire and front tire replaced at ~9,000 miles due to severe cupping. (first summer = 2 sets of tires)

Changed to Metzler ME 880's. Must of had a bad rear tire because the bike wobbled from the day they were put on. Changed them at ~2800 miles. Got tired of the wobbles and the road noise.

Purchased Avon Venom's. Very smooth and quite grippy at first. Got noisier as they wore and finally started cupping at ~17,000 (second summer = 2 sets of tires... a pattern?)

New set of Venoms, rode for 3,200 miles and picked up a screw. Not the tires fault. New Venom on the back only. Rode for ~14,000. Front tire wear getting bad gripping the road edges and grooves. Back just starting to cup. Was on a long trip to San Francisco so I broke down and bought a set of Dunlop Elite III's.

Elite III's so far have been much better than the original set of Elites that came on the bike. Ride well, not to noisy and hold the road pretty well when I take a turn a little more aggressive than the wife likes. She never complains, I can just feel her legs tighten up slightly against me.

In Summary so far I can vouch for the Avons and the Elite III's. I won't put another set of Metzlers on.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have EIII on the front of mine with never a problem

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.