Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered front & rear Dunlop Elite II's and delivered to me while vactioning in NH. Upon arrival the rear tire matches exactly as my current, but the front tire shows a load weigh of 67H versus 72H (currently on bike - 85 Ltd). I know there is a difference in loag weights but should I be overly concerned. I am thinking of returning but seek the expertise of my fellow Goldwingers to advise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Per the manual, the front only requires a 67H so you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 90Blazer. Why would someone move up to a 77H? Does it has to do with getting better front end handling due to increased weight?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
guess the best way to explain is that higher # results in better load rating and safety,tread design and tire pressure can make tire better handling but alot also depends on type of roads ridden and physical loading of mc and speeds etc,there is no "best" choice but alot relies on owners preferences

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Check the date on the sidewall of those tires before you mount them.

The bike only requires a 67H on the front, but I believe it was the older tires that were 67 and were increased up to 72H in the last few years.

Needless to say the 67H will be just fine IF it is not too old.

I just replaced my front EII with a battleaxe rear tire mounted backwards. It is also a 67H but the new tire has twice the tread depth and runs so smoothly that there is now zero handlebar vibration, plus it tracks perfectly over rain groove and tar snakes. I wish I had used one of these a decade ago!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Neoracer & Unionjk. I xchecked the date on the tires, if I got the right number the rear were 1312 and the froint 4412. So I am assuming that the rears were manufactured in the 13th week and the front in the 44th of 2012. That's if I got the right number.

In terms of physical loading I ride two-up and usually no more that 10 miles above the posted limit.

Having ridden on the 72H front for the last four seasons, do you think there will be a noticeable difference other than the fact.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Thanks, Neoracer & Unionjk. I xchecked the date on the tires, if I got the right number the rear were 1312 and the froint 4412. So I am assuming that the rears were manufactured in the 13th week and the front in the 44th of 2012. That's if I got the right number.

In terms of physical loading I ride two-up and usually no more that 10 miles above the posted limit.

Having ridden on the 72H front for the last four seasons, do you think there will be a noticeable difference other than the fact.
None at all, sounds like you are good to go!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
tire dates

actually surprised at the tire dates,i thought that they had quit making them at least a year before that,guess i was wrong
not that i'd ever want to go back to them after getting my first set of E3's

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
actually surprised at the tire dates,i thought that they had quit making them at least a year before that,guess i was wrong
not that i'd ever want to go back to them after getting my first set of E3's
I thought the EII's were obsolete also, I have run nothing but them on my 1200 for the last decade. However I hate this EIII on my rear wheel, it is loud and badly cupped with only 1/8th of it used.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I first started inquiring about the Elite II's I was warned about "old" dates; I checked with the supplier and they confirmed to me about the tires being manufactured in 2012. Thanks to all that provided feedback. It is always appreciated. Going to finished my week of skiing in NH and head back home to Canada. Hopefully, the snow has melted and spring will come early. Itching to ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.