Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

About a month ago I took a little trip on the Wing, about 200 miles, and on the last 50 or so miles noticed a little funny feel to the way the bike was handling. It was a little hard to keep it tracking straight and was a little sensitive to balance. Not bad, just a little unusual cause it had allways been so easy to handle. I chaulked it up to my just being tired from having such along day.

A day or so later, I was cleaning the Wing up and noticed that therewas a little play in the front wheel bearing. At the kindurging of a forum member, I replaced the bearings hoping that it wasthe root of the strange behavior.

Not to be. In fact, it's steadily becoming worse. So bad in fact that I not sure it's even safe and certainly not enjoyable to ride. It feels like there's low air pressure in the rear tire and the tire is distorting. I checked the air pressure and it was 32lbs front and rear.

I have put the bike on the center stand with the rear wheel suspended, it seems to feel as though it's coming from the rear wheel,and checked for loose bearings or some kind of movement to no avail. With the wheel in gear and free wheelingthe tire shows no sign of distortion and runs true. The tire hasapprox 70% of it's tread with slight cupping. I seem to recall that this is normal for Dunlop's because of the weight of the Goldwing. Is it possible that the cupping would cause the unstable condition?

The front tire is also about 70% tread with no sign of cupping.

Any thought's on this?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cupping per se isn't going to cause the problem you are describing. First, 32lbs front and rear sounds low to me. I'm not sure which model you have but 1200s use 38/44 and the 1500 recommendation is 40/46psi. So I'd try kicking up your tire pressure and see what happens.

Also have you checked your swingarm and steering head bearings for any free play and slop? One cause of squirreliness is bad shocks, how is the oil level in your forks and rear shocks?

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Good morning exavid,

The Wing is a 86GL1200A with 55K miles.

The service manual calls for 32 psi front and rear but doesn't specify which brand of tire. Maybe the Dunlop use's higer pressure? I'll boost the pressure to see what happens.

I haven't checked the swingarm or steering head for wear other than trying to shake or wiggleeverything to see if I could feel any play. Everything seemed to be tight.

I haven't checked the oil in the shocks. The front does seem to have excessive dive when youapply the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
Good morning exavid,

The Wing is a 86GL1200A with 55K miles.

The service manual calls for 32 psi front and rear but doesn't specify which brand of tire. Maybe the Dunlop use's higer pressure? I'll boost the pressure to see what happens.

I haven't checked the swingarm or steering head for wear other than trying to shake or wiggleeverything to see if I could feel any play. Everything seemed to be tight.

I haven't checked the oil in the shocks. The front does seem to have excessive dive when youapply the brakes.
33zip,

here is the Dunlop fitment chart and pressures recommended...

Recommended Front Tire:

Tire : 491 Elite II|Size : MT90B16|Loaded PSI : 36

Click for Info

Recommended Rear Tire:

Tire : 491 Elite II|Size : MV85B15|Loaded PSI : 40

Click for Info

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Good morning Dean_3326,

Thanks for that information. I'll get the air pressure up to spec's and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have found that cupping is usually caused by running the tires to low in pressure. If the FORD explorer incident taught us, put the tire pressure towards the max of the manufacture of the TIRE not the vehicle

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Good morning to all.

I'm upping the air pressure and making a run to the post office in just a few mins. See if that makes any difference.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I run my tyres at 36 front 35 rear normally then upto 45 rear for passanger and trailer towing at 55k you may find the rear suspension is affecting handling, try uping the air pressure a few pounds see if this helps, it might be an idea to check the rear suspensionbushes and swingarm bearings for wear.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well I'm back from the post office and I have to say thehigher air pressure definnitly made a difference. The handling is much improved but it's to soon to say if it's completely fixed. I'll be able to take a longer ride this evening. In the mean time I'm going to see if the oil is okay in the shocks and forks.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

While I'm thinking about it, Not having a Honda dealer in close proxemity, what oil can I use in the forks and shocks that I can get from the local auto parts store?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
for front forks usually you can use tranmission fluid... not sure about the rear shocks
Progressive calls for 2oz. of Dextron II. According to Wayne C. on a November post to this forum the Honda OEM shocks take 259.5cc each. Sounds like you can use ATF or fork oil or just about any motor oil of SAE15.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, Dextron II it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.