Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I know thismay bea big can of worms but, I really want to hear from other's about experiences with tires. I currently have Lop Elite II'S and I feel like they stiff and noisy. Are the other brandsany better? I'm new to GW world and really want to put good tires on it this winter. Thanks,

Steve

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Elite II's are reckoned to be too hard, take ages to heat up and bad in the wet. What model Wing have you got?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Bro, look at the pages on the bottom and click on Pg.5 and scroll down to "Tires" Should I buy Metzlers, It may help you? Buying tiresis aVery subjective thing, but depending on which model Wing you have certain tires are better than others and these guys know fron experience which are best depending on the climate where you live?! If I had a 1500 I'd probably try the Metzler 880's, but it's an expensive try, right!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

My choice of tyre has always been Bridgestone, Cage and :18red: :clapper: The G701 for the front of your :15red:and you have a choice of the G702 and G703 for the rear. :jumper:This is only my 2cent worth. :weightlifter:Merry xmas to you.

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Once again the subject of tyres has come up and I keep saying only nobody is listening ,,,there are pages and pages about tyres on the forum ,,,If you type in TYRES,,not TIRES in the search box you will get all the info you need ..:waving::waving::waving:.cheers Ciaran

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Dunlop is coming out with an Elite III series of their 491 tires. You may want to hold off until spring to replace yours as they seem to have resolved the poor dry and wet weather handling problems and the III series still has the long life capability of the old II series.

Vic

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

On most GW forums the Metzelers seem to get the lions share of the vote. If your tyres have enough meat on them it might be worth waiting for the opinions on the Elite III. But I guess by the time they arrive and people put miles on them and report back it could well be summer time, in that case you will need to make a decision sooner.
Tyres is like oil. Loads of opinions, not all of them useful either.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Seems thatmost ofthe tyres that are made for Wings have issues, to say the least. Mezelers 880 loses chunks of rubber, Dunlops don't have enough grip, Bridgestones cupping or wearing too fast... nothing seems to be perfect.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
Seems thatmost ofthe tyres that are made for Wings have issues, to say the least. Mezelers 880 loses chunks of rubber, Dunlops don't have enough grip, Bridgestones cupping or wearing too fast... nothing seems to be perfect.
no problems with the bridgestones, :clapper:just over 11000 miles on the last set, if riders took the proper care of the tyre they will wear out in normal miles, check the tyres every trip when cold.

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Bridgstones are like race tyres grip like hell but only last the summer

what milages are you getting with your tyres

i got 7000miles out of my Bridgstone G701/2s and both are shot up bad now

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

If I recall correctly, the Elite III's come in a radial. I've never had radial's on a motorcycle. How do they handle/ride? Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Dunlop are already advertising the Elite III as being better in the wet and longer thread life for starters. We should start hearing the reports soon enough when riders start clocking up miles with them.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I asked the same question in sept. when I got my 1500.The bike came with Dunlop Elites.There wasn t much tread left so maybe it isn t a fair comparison.I installed the Metzlers as per the advice of this forum.I notice a big difference in th e handling.The Metzlers are way better handling.I have only 2500 kms on them .Hope this helps..Trap

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks to all that replied. I've decided to go with the Metzlers. I had a set of them on a vtwin and they were great. Thanks again to all.

Steve

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

found bridgestones excelent when first fitted butthey seamed to wear out real quick

and as i ride everyday all year i need a tyres that can go the distance who is getting the best milage out of tyres?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I'm rebuiling a GL1500 and was wondering if anyone could tell me the correct size Metzeler tires to use?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.