Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just sent the DUNLOP TIRE co. an e.mail concerning the discontinuation of the ELITE II's .
I informed them that this was a mistake if they think the Honda Goldwings were going to end up in the junkyard as soon as the other makes and that the E III was a good tire but even with it many of us cannot run a matched set of Dunlop tires on our bikes and I and many others were prepared to quit running Dunlop tires in favor of a different brand .
I hope you will all support this move by me and give your comments here.
======================================:11black:


Thank you all,,,,,,,,, picasso,,,,,,,aka Steve Kizziah
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
imported post

OK, you asked for it.:)

I don't like them. Had a set on my old '80 GL1100I. Dipped out something terrible and rode like crap. EIII's on my first '88 GL1500. I thought they were OK until I put Pilot GT's on it and WOW what a difference!

Nothing but Michy's on the 1500 from now on.

Probably EIII's on the old "Rent-a Mule" GL1100
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

But what about those of us with the 17 inch rear tires?? We can't even get an E III for the rear.
And talk about crap have you ever ran a 404?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
imported post

Woo. I hated my E2s. Love my E3s. Can get 'em for both my 'Wings.



The E3 is a better tire. I think there's a better chance of seeing an E3 in your size, than there is Dunlop bringing back an obsolete design - for the sake of folks with 25-year-old scoots.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

That would be fine to me.
obsolete??? What is the 404? Same tread pattern crappy everything else..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
imported post

I don't have a problem with the 404's. I just got 18,000 from a front. Removed it during the winter. There was still 3 to 5 thousand miles left on it. I get 10 to 12 thousand from the rear. 81 GL1100. Any other tire will cost twice as much and will not deliver twice the milage.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,195 Posts
imported post

You're just going to have to face the fact they are not going to bring back a tire with the possibility of maybe a couple thousand sales. They probably already sold the molds to the Chinese.
A friend just bought an IRC tire for his VTX and it's a good looking tire, made in Japan, not China, and does come in a size to fit 80-81 1100s.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I do not understand how ya'll get such high mileage from a tire ! Do you go over 50 mph ever ? I mean I just am amazed!! I do about 50/50 on highways and on backroads , tires are balanced and watch inflation very closely.Of course I carry all my groceries and beer home on the bike , haul garbadge, very rarely go 2 up , never burn rubber, never pull wheelies and frequently exceed the legal speed limit. I am fully dressed most of the time.The bike that is !!My wheels are good and my wheels turn very freely and I never touch a brake unless I have to , and I don't downshift excessively . Man I just don't get what I am if anything I do wrong. Also I rarely go just a riding with the guys , my bike is all I got , NO CAR OR TRUCK DO I OWN .????
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
You're just going to have to face the fact they are not going to bring back a tire with the possibility of maybe a couple thousand sales. They probably already sold the molds to the Chinese.
A friend just bought an IRC tire for his VTX and it's a good looking tire, made in Japan, not China, and does come in a size to fit 80-81 1100s.
Yes but what are the sidewalls like ? before mounting an E2 you can stand on the beads and that tire will support my 210 lbs and many will not . I just don't feel safe on a tire with weak sidewalls. I had a rapid deflation at about 75 mph with a cheng shin on the rear that the po had put on in order to sell with new tires . Man that experience scared me pantsless!!! So I try to go with what I kn ow , you know .I have ridden the E II's flat at highway speeds , not something I suggest but I had no dough for a new tire ,just kept plugging and refilling with air but by the time I got to where I was going most of the time it was flat again. If I had to go around the world I would like a supply of something that I trusted even flat But if that tire by IRC holds a Vtx 1800 up it should work ,,, maybe I'll check it out
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
Woo.  I hated my E2s.  Love my E3s.  Can get 'em for both my 'Wings.

 

The E3 is a better tire.  I think there's a better chance of seeing an E3 in your size, than there is Dunlop bringing back an obsolete design - for the sake of folks with 25-year-old scoots.
Well like I said If I can't get a full set of them I am going to change brands.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
59,728 Posts
imported post

IMO, I would scrap the Dunlops and stick with Michelin Pilot GTs. Only way to go from my experience with them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
IMO, I would scrap the Dunlops and stick with Michelin Pilot GTs. Only way to go from my experience with them.
Yeah John, but he'd have to buy a 1500!:cheeky1:



We all agree Pilot GT's best tires, but only made for 1500's. He has an 1100.:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

I hate dunlops and I would not put them on a wheel barrow ..Every bike I bought that had dunlops on them I changed to either bridgestones or Avons ,For me dunlops are the total pitts in tyres ,but there again we live in a different climate to you guys in the USA . Ciaran
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
imported post

Dunplops ! not for me been winging 26 years, first thing I do is change the tyres. Any brand even some of these new Chinese tyre got to be better than Dunplops.:waving::waving::waving: Incoming!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
200 Posts
imported post

I always liked the Elite IIs but they got too expensive so I went to the Cheng Shin Hi Max. Similar in tread pattern (rear), ride, and wear but a lot cheaper. It doesn't bother me at all that they are made in Taiwan.

Q
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Where's Rudy :cool::cool::cool::cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have never liked Dunlops either. My new 1800 came with the new D250 Dunlop Radials. All was well till the first day rode it in the rain. There is really no way to explain it to anyone until they try it, I do not ride aggressive in the rain, I ride like Grandma. Still dunlops in the rain slip and slide.

I call it surfboarding, you are coming up to a stop and downshift into second gear trying to use the motor compression to brake on the wet road and the rear starts surfing down the highway.

I have always liked bridgestone tires.

Even for the older bikes the bridgestone B-45 Battlax has a very good tread pattern and grips the road well and should be available in the 17 inch rim.

There are some really good tires still made that are forgotten in the new world of new things.

Avon tires are good tires too, and available in many sizes, The Avon is a very popular tire for the heavy Yamaha Venture touring bike. They get some really good service out of them.

Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
imported post

Boy, am I confused now! After reading all of the above postings on tire selection I don't know what to do.

I am going to replace the tires on my '81 GL1100I this spring and was going to get Dunlop 404's because that's what on her now. From what I understand, there are limited choices in manufacturers for the sizes that I need (17 rear, 19 front). The P.O., my Dad, has only ever ran on the 404's and highly regards them. Keep in mind that this is my first and only bike and I'm a relative newby with only one season and 10k km in the saddle.

So, what are my choices in tires? Why do some of you express a dislike for the 404's? I ride mostly by myself, sometimes two up with my wife and rarely loaded to the max with camping gear and a small trailer in tow.

Regards,
Rick
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
59,728 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
IMO, I would scrap the Dunlops and stick with Michelin Pilot GTs. Only way to go from my experience with them.
Yeah John, but he'd have to buy a 1500!:cheeky1:
We all agree Pilot GT's best tires, but only made for 1500's. He has an 1100.:)
Oops! Teach me to read a tad bit closer, eh? :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
I do not understand how ya'll get such high mileage from a tire ! Do you go over 50 mph ever ? I mean I just am amazed!! I do about 50/50 on highways and on backroads , tires are balanced and watch inflation very closely.Of course I carry all my groceries and beer home on the bike , haul garbadge, very rarely go 2 up , never burn rubber, never pull wheelies and frequently exceed the legal speed limit. I am fully dressed most of the time.The bike that is !!My wheels are good and my wheels turn very freely and I never touch a brake unless I have to , and I don't downshift excessively . Man I just don't get what I am if anything I do wrong. Also I rarely go just a riding with the guys , my bike is all I got , NO CAR OR TRUCK DO I OWN .????
When you say you watch your tyre pressures very closely, are you keeping them on the recommended pressures or running them higher as most of us do?

Ran 38 front and 41 reat on the 15 and same on the 1800. Get the sort of mileages talked about here, but then again I run Birdgstones not Dunlops.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top