Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone, i have new Dunlop E3's to go on my 86 goldwing i just bought. The tires that came on this bike look very old and they read Dunlop K491 Elite gt are these a very old model? just curious, Thanks, Bryan

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You should be able to find a 3 digit numerical code on the tires for older tires. Its usually next to the U.S. DOT tire identification number.

Example: 228

That would mean the tire was made the 22nd week of 1998.

For tires made after 2000, there is a 4 digit code.

Example: 1506

That would mean the tire was made the 15th week of 2006.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Mike, is there any way to tell on these bikes whether it has say 21000 miles or 121000? od does not show one hundred mark. Bryan

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Without any way to get the bike's history from the previous owners, it's really hard. Parts will be much more worn, foot pegs, brake handles, clutch handles, overall tightness of the bike, but even that's hard to judge. Depending on the state it lived, you may be able to do a title search, to see how often it changed hands and was re-registered. Even then, some states don't track the mileage. Best way would be old receipts and previous owner knowledge.

If it was a northern bike, only ridden 6 months a year or so, I would feel good about the 21,000 mark.

My first wing an 85 Aspy came from Murfeesburo, Tennessee and I got it from the third owner. The 60,000 miles were legit.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Hey, you confused me with the subheading because the GT are Michelin Pilot's. At least that is what came to my mind.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

:baffled:

:dude::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1982 naked gl1100
2,576 Posts
imported post

americanmototire.com lists the K491 as an Elite II, not a gt. So if they say elite gt, they could very well be an older model.

I took some old Spitfire's off my bike that are marked very much unlike the way the new ones are now.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well they look to be very old and are getting replaced now before i ride this bike. This might sound crazy but they looked like tires i saw on a few bikes in the 80's i just thought they cant be that old can they. Bryan S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.