Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

james013168 wrote:
Thanks for the info westgl. Will that give me more power to run extra lights? I put light racks on back of my bike and two small driving lights on front but hooked them up to switchs so I can turn them on and off as I want.
James, you can also save a lot of power usage by converting to LED's. My light bars took 18 bulbs alone & I also have the stock turn lamps a 2 55w driving lamps. The extra alt. is a great thing to have. With mine, I will just disconnect the 3 yellow wires and if the add on alt gives up ghost, I'll nreconnect the yellow wires and be on my wat until I can get alt repaired. With the 1000 thro 1200 this is the only option if you want to run multiple lights. Good luck with your Baby, James:waving::waving::waving::waving:;);););):cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

If I had to redo my poorboy I would look very seriously at this one, due to the fact that I have an '84 standard. It's hanging out there looking ugly like this one (personally, I think this one looks better) and my mounting points for the upper portion of the alternator were much different than the interstate/aspencade so I had to utilize hose clamps and make my own "extension" out of a piece of angle iron. This looks like it would have been much easier on a naked bike.

Plus, I'm new here and had to find some place to make my first post so I could keep my account :)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I see written:

when is comes to conversion kits. I chose the Dupli-Tech kit over the Poor Boy simply because the major moving parts are encased rather then in the open so to speak.

On the poorboy the moving parts are not "out in the open" they are a belt behind the radiator as on virtually all cars, and the alternator is behind the sidepanel.
Look at that alternator, all electrical and completely exposed. How will it cope with rain- especially being so low down. What do you do when the belt snaps- not quite the 10 min job on a poorboy I imagine. Sorry, but It looks awful....Steve

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

Ditchbanker, welcom to the forum. Just for your info, you don'y have to post if you don't feel you have anything to contribute. There are hundreds of members here, that have been here for years that don't have any posts @ all. Most of those joined to have aquestion answered, to be able to access a piece of tech knowledge or to download a manual etc. This is the best there is out there & we are glad to have you. Even if you just browse. Ride safe & enjoy. Don't for get your Meds tho'.:D:D:action::action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:Angela

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Thank you wolfy for this information. This really puts my mind at ease. When I receive and install mine, I'll give you an update. This forum is great!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
imported post

Question,..... I've noticed the Dupli Tech conversions are mostly on 1200 and then noticed a conversion on an 1100,....... is this available for Both:????:pumpkin::waving:Bob

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

badorderbob2..............I think the Dupli-Tech kit is for the GL1200. You
might want to call them and talk to Marty about this.

http://www.dupli-tech.com/contactus.html

Second riding season on my Dupli-Tech conversion and doin' great. No
complaints or issues. :action:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

The argument that all the electrics are hanging out in the elements really does not hold up.
Have you looked at the alternater on your car lately? Every time you run down a dusty dirt or gravel road it's covered by dust and all from the front tires. Rainy days, Same thing.

If you think it is a problem, make a case for it. Just remember it has to breathe, or it will fail in quick order.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
imported post

I did go back and re-read the posts and also understand now:(, this is for a 1200 not an 1100! At least it's another alternative to the 1200 stator failure to choose from wither you like it or not;)!!:pumpkin::bat::waving:Bob

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Guys. I wonder if your -comment would change if that unit was a supercharger instead of an altenator. We have all seen and heard the phrase " to each his own". Well I think that fits here. I think that idea is a good one but like so many I prefer Don's. And that is what I have got.:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
Put the super charger on the other sideto balance it out! :action::action::action::action::action::action:

:byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

Just an update of my own on this kit. I have had a 1200 with this mod for about 3 months now, I have added about 6k miles to it and so far have not had ANY issues with it at all. The PO put a good many miles on this kit as well and had no trouble either.

You get a distinct whine when accelerating up through higher RPM as the out put increases but not that noticable really. I have ridden in heavey rains at freeway speed, through mud, and almost everything but ice with no trouble. VERY pleased with it... looking forward to running dual 55w hella lamps and all the other lights, heated acc etc I can add soon as I can afford it.

A1

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Are the car type alternators immune to rain Chris? I know you rode in rain but I would like to know for sure if alternators are okay exposed like that long term. I seen an Indian motorcycle at a bike show a few years ago and the alternator was way out front exposed, I did wonder how that would fare in the good old British weather.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

I am not sure I would say WATER PROOF or not bro but for the amount of water I can get it to take in a hard downpour at freeway speeds I have seen no troubles. Now I have seen videos of Samuri, Jeeps and Rovers with snorkels on em even that did not seem to hurt their Alt. by going into deep creeks but again that may not mean anything at all. Perhaps they have some for a resistance built in???

|A1:?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

One question that some people ask is if there is a gl1100 DupliTech kit, well there is now. After a few phone calls and sending parts from my bike they made a kit for it. After studying the Poor Boy kit and Dupli tech kit I went with the Dupli tech. I dident feel confident to do the install myself so I got the guys at Presision Cycle in Sylva to do it. They did a good job and got me up and running again. The alternator does not stick out much and is not much bigger then a big fist. Any questions feel free to contact me.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Just a side point on the cost of the Geo Metro Alt. You can get it at O'reileys for $146.60 THAT INCLUDES the $43.50 Core charge. So if you can find a core to send back $103.10, plus they were very helpful with the electric stuff also. One guy that works at the Battle Creek, Michigan store told me about a solder tablet you put in your brass conection, get it hot with torch, put your wire in let it cool, shrink tape - electrical tape your done. I've looked at everyones ideas and pictures, built my own for about $300 that includes the best new timimng belts I could get, the Gates Belt and I ate the core charge on the alternator. Hope I helped. Skip

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.