1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

picture in Yellowstone NP...

:action:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Happens quite frequently. Usually followed by some idiot getting out of his vehicle with his camera, walking within about 20 feet for a picture.

Occasionally followed by the sound of ambulances.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Anybody know what is the best "strategy" for dealing with a roadblock like this? I'm thinking just stop and let them pass - whether they're coming head on or from behind or cross paths? I have heard they can "stop traffic" and then they may be right alongside. Is "don't move" advised?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

. . . . . they look delicious. . . . . . :)

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

well at least they do keep to their side of the road

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

A friend and I were in Yellowstone last July. We came up on a line of stopped cars. About 200 yards up the highway there was a herd crossing between the cars from right to left. The traffic wouldinch forward as they found gaps in the herd.

This continued until we came to the area where they wereSTILL crossing ... :shock: we decided to stop about 50 feet from where they were crossing and wait for an opening ... you know ... like waiting on traffic at rush hour. :action:

When it came we sprinted on down the highway.

But it was a beautiful site. They were crossing the highway then swimming the river to our left. It was awesome.

Did not get a single picture ... did not even think about it until we were on down the road. :baffled: It was very unnerving to be that close to such big animals out in the open ....

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
. . . . . they look delicious. . . . . . :)
:dude:Yes, Yes they do - that is some of the best "steak" I've ever had too.

That might even be a bit too much for me to handle at one sitting though...:cheeky1: Plus, I really won't have room to "pack" more for the road :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Monk wrote:
A friend and I were in Yellowstone last July. We came up on a line of stopped cars. About 200 yards up the highway there was a herd crossing between the cars from right to left. The traffic wouldinch forward as they found gaps in the herd.

This continued until we came to the area where they wereSTILL crossing ... :shock: we decided to stop about 50 feet from where they were crossing and wait for an opening ... you know ... like waiting on traffic at rush hour. :action:

When it came we sprinted on down the highway.

But it was a beautiful site. They were crossing the highway then swimming the river to our left. It was awesome.

Did not get a single picture ... did not even think about it until we were on down the road. :baffled: It was very unnerving to be that close to such big animals out in the open ....
Yeah - that's what I'm wondering about. My wife is a picture hound and she'll likely be shutter bugging from pillion. I've heard of the major crossings and that they may even come up alongside - I bet they stop and "sniff" too. I wonder if it is best to "freeze" or if you can move about and take pictures from your seat or if it would "spook" them. One thing for sure - I would not want to be at a dead stop with a stampede of these critters coming through. Anybody recall the scene of the hunt in "Dances with Wolves"? That is what I'm thinking about...:shock:thundering across the high plains - roads be damned :action:

Wish you got some pics - that would be cool. At least you have the experience of a lifetime - and that's great!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

corventure wrote:
There used to be an ad on TV about those SUV's!
??? What SUV's? :?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I was in a cage about 12 years agoin Roosevelt Nat Park, ND coming down a road when I saw a large herd of Bison within 1/4 mile of the road obviously coming to cross the road. I pulled over giving them plenty of room to cross. A few minutes later, when they were about 100 yds from the road, an econobox came from behind me andstopped within 20-30 feet from where the herd would cross.

There was a HUGE bull leading, followed by many smaller bulls and the main herd. As the lead bull came to the road , he peeled off coming nose to nose with the econobox. I mean about 2 feet away! :shock: Then he just stood there staring at the driver. He seemed to be saying "Stay put and you won't get hurt, mess with my family and you WILL get hurt!"

It took 10-15 minutes for the herd to pass, the young bulls took up the lead. When the last cow passed the huge bull fell in line behind and started making his way to the front as the herdmosied along feeding and walking.

It was great intertainment. I'll bet the people in the econobox were so intimidated they never got a good picture of the bull. To afraid to even move in the car. :D

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

If you do anything to make them feel threatened you are making a mistake, they WILL defend themselves and you will lose.

I would think to try to keep clear if they are in the road, if they are going to come close to you just sit as still as you can, bike in 1st gear and ready to go if you have to.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I grew up down the road from a private game farm and an indian family negihbor farm. Myself and the youngest neighbor boy would go over the fence and play "army". One day we decided to use chicken eggs for granades and we made quite a mess till one of our granades missed and smacked an adult buffalo on the back side and the beastie seemed to explode with energy and blasted through a heavey wooden corral hell bent to administer justice. On that day we thanked the great spirit for our lives as we escaped the rage of the enorumous beast! Bottom line, don't screw with a buffalo!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Last summer in Custer State Park, SD, we sat on the bike, engine running, as a large bull walked past us within about 5'. Apart from a sideways glance he didn't pay us any notice.

We were stuck in a line of traffic at the time. All through this my wife was shooting pics from the back seat.

Given the choice I would rather not repeat the experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

And that's why I carry a gun. The bigger they are..the tastier they are. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
. . . . stuck in a line of traffic at the time. All through this my wife was shooting pics from the back seat. . . . . .
Your Wife is a good woman, and that is a great shot. :)

I think my gal would have quietly pooped. :D

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
English Bob wrote:
. . . . stuck in a line of traffic at the time. All through this my wife was shooting pics from the back seat. . . . . .
Your Wife is a good woman, and that is a great shot. :)

I think my gal would have quietly pooped. :D
LOL I could see that...last year in Sequoia NP a coyote looking for a handout started to cross the road up ahead and noticed us - turned and I kid you not trotted towards us. As he approached my wife was snapping pictures with one hand and pounding on my back with the other. When he got to about 15 feet licking his chops she started screaming "go, go, go, go..." LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

Where I live, if you see predatory wildlife during daylight hours, the first thing you should be wary of is rabies. Maybe this one was just tame.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Is it just me or did the pic in the 1st post disappear:baffled:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.