Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duro Brand Tires

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  HeiriHornochse 
#1 ·
imported post

The price is right. They seem to be really high quality tires. Do they last as long and perform as well as Dunlops, Michelins, Avons?

Opinions are great, but experience holds more weight.

Seems logical to spend MORE for yourtires if theylast longer and perform better, and I know that Dunlops and Michelins have a strong following, but are the Duro's possibly every bit as good?

I really do not know and I am sure that several goldwings are wearing them.

The Previous Owner of my 1992 Aspencade was getting 9000 Miles out of the rear Mitzlers and 17,000 out of the Front Mitzlers.

Thank you in advance for responding.

#2 ·
imported post

Never heard of Duro tires but I don't get out much. I do see on this site that a lot of people like bridgestones. I can honestly say I do not like Dunlop tires.

#3 ·
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

#6 ·
imported post

I have run the Duro on front and rear of both my GL1200s.
Last pair got 6K out of the rear and 12K out of the front.
Reasonably priced and fairly quiet also. When the dunlops go away on my GL1500 I may see if they are available for it.
Bill :)

#7 ·
imported post

I had a bad experience with Duro tires. I ordered one for my Yamaha v-star 1300 when i had it and had it installed right before a road trip. Got about 400 miles into the trip and the bike was bouncing like crazy. Pulled over and talked with the rest of the group we were riding with and started discussing how rough the road was. They all looked confused and said it was as smooth to them as any other road.
One of them took my bike for a spin and ensured me the tire had a busted belt, knot something. It was after 12:00 on Saturday and we were in the middle of the boonies and afraid to get on the interstate we hit the backroads in search of a big Honda or Harley shop, anything at this point. Luckily we found a hole in the wall shop that had 5 tires in stock and just so happened he had the tire to fit my bike, which was odd because at the time only 2 or 3 companies made that size. Duro and Bridgestone and maybe dunlop. So he put the Stone on at a whopping $230. What was i gonna do, try to jew him down, we were in the middle of nowhere and he was supposed to be closed but had stayed late for inventory. After the new tire no more bouncing and sure enough the NEW DURO i had put on 400 miles ago had a huge knot in the center of the tread. NO MORE DURO TIRES FOR ME!!!

#19 ·
I had a bad experience with Duro tires. I ordered one for my Yamaha v-star 1300 ... ... the NEW DURO i had put on 400 miles ago had a huge knot in the center of the tread. NO MORE DURO TIRES FOR ME!!!
Well - this is an experience. And one, that must not happen, not on a new tire.
On the other hand side: according your bike list, this was <2007 and you tried it just once. I'll do a second try.
Once is never, twice brings up some question marks. Three times is the answer on the questions.

#8 ·
imported post

That is a sad experience. For what it costs in time and effort for a shop to install and balance a tire, it just makes sense to install a trusted and road proven tire that lasts 50% longer and performs better. I will stick with the Name brands that everyone loves. I hate that you had such a bad experience.

Live is an adventure
Enjoy the adventure

Tony

#9 ·
imported post

I recently put some IRC Durotour RS-310's on my 75 GL1000. So far they seen to be riding pretty good. I don't ride the GL1000 all that much so I do not have many miles on them.The only complaint I have about them is that they tend to jump around on grooved or uneven pavment.

I have Metzeler ME880's onmy 81 GL1100 and I cannot say enough good things about them at 16,000 miles they are about 2/3 worn and I will replace them with the same. They seem to hold better on wet pavement than any bike tire I have ever had.

Peter

#10 ·
imported post

Duro is the brand of tires that came on my 2001 Coleman popup camper from the factory. I do recall that they had a higher weight rating than many others for the size, which would imply a better tire- maybe-

#11 ·
imported post

I work at an RV dealership. Duro tires and my bike
NO WAY !!! Have seen them on some campers. Not impressed.

#12 ·
imported post

Ive not had experience with the duros, but I will say +1 on the metz 880's. Have 10,000 on the front and ithas only used about half of its tread. looks like i should get another 5-10 thou on it. the rear has about 3000 and looks like the day i put it on. Had dunlops on previously and the metz's are head and shoulders above for me.

#13 ·
imported post

Hi Ferrarimx,

First, I know nothing of Duro tires.

Riding in the gulf area, you have sandy roads and surprise rainstorms. I think you'd want the tire with the most tenacious grip you could find. I don't know, but doubt that will be a bargain brand.

A tire thatsticks poorly and lasts a long time is a double negative.

#14 ·
imported post

Although brief in its scope this has been a good discussion about one of the more important safety aspects of owning and maintaining our Goldwings. Getting the best tire is for the most part a compromise in either mileage or performance. There are some that go to the dark side and install Automobile tires that are not only cheaper, but get 35,000 miles before having to be replaced. I do not like riding on the dark side. That being said, I would like to find a discussion area where the differences in brands of tires are examined and evaluated. How many plys, load rating, mileage, performance, construction, reliability are all factors. If you know of a good site, I would truely be interested in reading and exploring everyones experiences. Tires are expensive. Having them installed is time consuming and expensive. Finding a trouble free and long lasting tire is one of the most cost effective ways of enjoying our Goldwings.

Your help in directing me to some good tire discussions would be greatly appreciated.

FerrariMX5

#15 ·
imported post

Tire threads are everywhere and tires are discussed ad nauseum it seems, whenever possible.

Everyone has their own opinions and likes/dislikes.

For every tire made SOMEONE loves em, while many hate em.

On my Goldwings, I love the Dunlop Elite 3. As I said that some readers just started thinking about throwing an egg my direction.

Tire threads will never die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.