Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone know if its possible to fit a DVD player to a Goldwing. I'm playing with the idea of fitting a car type DVD screen to the bike (perhaps on the pilots backrest) with teh DVD unit in the trunk. I'm wondering if I could interface the audio into the passengers headset only. I would need a waterproof screen of course. Does anyone know if this is possible?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
imported post

Hi Eric,

I had the same thought, since I just bought a DVD setup for my car (for the long Christmas trips with the kids). My set has two headrest mounted screens and a player with 6.5 foot cables. If your alternator can handle the output, I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless there just isn't room on your backrest. See, on my bike there's not too much room on the passenger seat, and even though I could use the velcro straps on the LCD screen, I think MY passenger might basically be trying to watch her knees instead of the screen because the backrest is so low/close. On the 1500 or 1800, though, you may have more room than my 83 Interstate.

Of course, even Walmart has the all-in-one players that have their own battery power source, and screen built into the unit which could also be strapped to your rest.

Just my two cents! :)

Jack
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

And after all that, :crying:dont forget that its a :18red:you are riding. :baffled: I watch all my DVD's at home in a nice soft seat with a glass ofbrandy and a big cigar. :grinner:Merry xmas to you all. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

Why have a bike, if you want to watch a film ,,,GO TO THE CINEMA ,or sit at home ,,,a passenger should be just as alert as the driver ,,,what happens if you hit a car and your passenger is watching a dvd ,:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:,you will probably see your passenger and the dvd flying through the air above you ...THINK SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY ..forget about the dvd ,it might save the life of your passenger ..cheers Ciaran
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
imported post

I tend to Agree with Wexman on this, but, if you are really set on having an "on the road DVD setup" maybe you could setup an enclosed trailer with a DVD and a sound system in it with solar panels and batteries. Then if you felt a sudden need to watch a DVD you could safely pull over, take off your helmet and watch a movie and/or listen to some quality sound in total and safe comfort.

Vic
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hurragh ! ! ! :clapper: The "Super Moderator" and a "Guru" agree with my comments. :clapper: I must have said something right for a change. :grinner:

Seriously,:crying:when on the public roads on your :18red::15red::1000liteblue: always think Safety. :clapper:You may never get a second chance. :crying:Leave the DVD's and indeed any other distraction at home, :whip: and just enjoy your wing.:leprechaun:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
imported post

Well Yellowwing...Seems like your getting some fun filled flack over this. If you're going to go high tech...what the heck.....get one that'll give you an image on the screen in your helmet, with some surround sound. :cooldj:Go BIGGER...install thumb and finger controls on you handlebars so you play some games too. Even BETTER, put in a multi-user internet system so you can play other wing riders on the road!!!!:clapper:

Kyle

You will only go as far as your imagination will take you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Well Yellowwing...Seems like your getting some fun filled flack over this. If you're going to go high tech...what the heck.....get one that'll give you an image on the screen in your helmet, with some surround sound.
Thats a great idea Kyle, never thought of that. Maybe even an adapter that will allow the passenger to attach the DVD screen to the helmet!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

What ever happened tosimply enjoying the scenery? Isn't that entertainment enough?

Marco
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Well Yellowwing...Seems like your getting some fun filled flack over this. If you're going to go high tech...what the heck.....get one that'll give you an image on the screen in your helmet, with some surround sound.
Thats a great idea Kyle, never thought of that. Maybe even an adapter that will allow the passenger to attach the DVD screen to the helmet!
Hey yellowwing, You walked head and shoulders into this cul de sac. :gunhead:Dont dig the hole any bigger. :crying:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing -

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to steal your sig line and start using it in my e-mails. :) :D

Great minds think alike, no? :cool:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Eric, I can see a couple of solutions to your DVD problem. One of course would be going to a side hack and having a full home theater setup with a 15" LCD TV/Monitor, and four speaker sound system with subwoofer. One other possibility would be to give your passenger a set of LCD goggles like these:

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/v190.htm



Both of these would eliminate the problem you're going to have with image washout in direct daylight. If you've ever used a PDA or Laptop outdoors, you'll know that the image is pretty hard to see, just about impossible on a sunny day. :goofygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,776 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
And after all that, :crying:dont forget that its a :18red:you are riding. :baffled: I watch all my DVD's at home in a nice soft seat with a glass ofbrandy and a big cigar. :grinner:Merry xmas to you all. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:


Hey pardner; can you get Cubans in Ireland...:clapper:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:




Hey pardner; can you get Cubans in Ireland...:clapper:



Hey Shooter, I think you mite have to go to Cuba to get them. :grinner:Merry xmas to you. :santawaving:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hey Redwing -

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to steal your sig line and start using it in my e-mails. :) :D

Great minds think alike, no? :cool:
Hey jsmith24, Thats going to cost you big bucks $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $. :clapper:Merry xmas to you. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

If any of you were at the British Treffen you may have seen the light parade that was done around the camp site due to police non-cooperation. There was a guy with either an 1800 or a 1500 (not quite sure which) taking part with two what appeared to be 6 inch monitor screens on his bike. They were on the fairing mounted below both pockets just in front of his knees as he rode past. He was playing aDVD music disc through the speakers while the DVD played the videoon both monitors. I tried to get a closer look but never saw him again after that. It looked quite amazing in the dark as part of the light parade. It would be deemed highly illegal however if used on the open road whilst riding. It looked like the ultimate posing equipment and drew a lot of attention.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
If any of you were at the British Treffen you may have seen the light parade that was done around the camp site due to police non-cooperation. There was a guy with either an 1800 or a 1500 (not quite sure which) taking part with two what appeared to be 6 inch monitor screens on his bike. They were on the fairing mounted below both pockets just in front of his knees as he rode past. He was playing aDVD music disc through the speakers while the DVD played the videoon both monitors. I tried to get a closer look but never saw him again after that. It looked quite amazing in the dark as part of the light parade. It would be deemed highly illegal however if used on the open road whilst riding. It looked like the ultimate posing equipment and drew a lot of attention.
I did see it Littlejohn! It was in the marquee with thetrikes having some work done, wasn't it an orange 1800! The monitor was actually built into the left side lower fairing vent! Never got to talk to the owner as he wasn't about when I was there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
316 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Eric, I can see a couple of solutions to your DVD problem. One of course would be going to a side hack and having a full home theater setup with a 15" LCD TV/Monitor, and four speaker sound system with subwoofer. One other possibility would be to give your passenger a set of LCD goggles like these:
I have a set of these things. They are handy but are very hard on the eyes.20 minutes tops is about all I can take before headaches and this sort of precludes watching long movies... Others may be able to wear them for longer without problems.
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

I saw that orange 1800 with the DVD screen as well. He had a lot of odd stuff on that bike, wires all over the place. The DVD in the fairing vent looked a novelty, but it didn't serve any useful purpose as the riders leg obscures it when riding. Looked cool though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
413 Posts
imported post

got a better idea give her the DVD and remote and leave her at home;)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top