Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought a Saddleman seat for my 1100. It's dark brown and I would like it black. Anyone ever dye a seat before??

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I know for a fact that Shrek snr. ( Colin) did some parts for his seat many moons ago and it has done very well over the years and shows no sign of deterioration. His is the origional "vinyal" type finish, not leather or anything.:)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I did mine. I changed the paint color on my bike, so I wanted seat and all the brown parts to be black.

I used SEM. I wanted asemi-gloss, so the automotive paint store added "some" gloss additive to an otherwise flat black. I bought a quart tospray but, they do have spray cans in gloss or flat black (not semi).

The vinyl seat turned out perfect, and looks betterthan new. I also used it on my dash, front plastic covers, vinyl pouches, handle bar covers, and grab bars. Three years and it is still perfect and no flaking or fade. And, I douse Armor all as a cleaner.

For my truck, I bought a pair of really nicebucket leather seats and sprayedDupontdye about 2 years ago. The seats are both leather and vinyl. Very disappointed in the results. Don't get me wrong, Dupont isa very good product if not better than SEM (Dupont cost twice as much). The dye seems to be very very compatible with vinyl, but the dye did not stick to "my" leather.

They say the seats are dyed at the factory, but leather may actually take a different color product/process. They say vinyl dye works on leather, but it is really for vinyl. Many times it will work on leather and the paint store said I should not have a problem, but it just kept flaking off my leather. My truck is a work truck so I still have not redone to seat dye/stain/paint. My flaking on the leather started immediately after applied, but it is still perfect on the vinyl portions.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Can you ballpark the cost per can?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

They say the seats are dyed at the factory, but leather may actually take a different color product/process. They say vinyl dye works on leather, but it is really for vinyl. Many times it will work on leather and the paint store said I should not have a problem, but it just kept flaking off my leather. My truck is a work truck so I still have not redone to seat dye/stain/paint. My flaking on the leather started immediately after applied, but it is still perfect on the vinyl portions.
Many times with leather . the dying process need the leather to be dried. Then like a leather cathers mit linseed oil has to be added to keep the leather soft.

linseed oil being natural to leather gets soaked in. Vinyl does not have any oil taken or added. It is manufactured.

I am pretty sure this is why your dye is flaking off of the leather.

How old were the seats.

Look at any leather sterring wheels, the part where always rubbed gets shiny. In part due to the weariung of the surface but also has to do with hand and dody oils in the material.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Can you ballpark the cost per can?
Found a dealer near me. Went this AM and got a spray can of the stuff. $11.00 and change. Say's on the can that the can has to be at least 70 degrees. Soon's it warms up a little here I'm going to try it!!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I did a vinyl seat last summer with the dupli-color "vinyl and fabric paint" sold at Autozone. I put 3 light black coats on a brown seat and it has held up great. (so far about 4,000 miles. I did the backrest also and made the mistake of putting it on too thick. It did "crack" the paint surface after about a month in the sun. I took some lacquer thinner, removed the "thick" paint and re-sprayed it. So far holding up great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.