Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 138 Posts

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I had my 82 GL1100 out today for a few hours, and while my wife on the back was quite comfy in the 90 degree weather, I was sweltering from the heat pouring out of the engine - especially going up hills. I was literally dripping and trying to hold body parts (one at a time) out in the airstream.

It would seem the Goldwing fairing is a little TOO efficient in hot weather. I'm sure there must be aftermarket wings and such that clamp on somewhere to direct air in behind the fairing for hot-weather riding. Can anyone point me to such a thing before I go out with some aluminum and design something myself?

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
imported post

Not to take this thread on too much of a tangent, but I'll chime in here. If not for the fact that I was wearing my helmet on my very first motorcycle 19 years ago when I was cut off by an idiot in his pickup truck, I would not be here right now. I swerved left and opened the throttle to try to squeeze through (my only option) but didn't quite make it. I went over the hood of the truck, flew through the air and landed directly on my head at about 30 mph. Crushed the top of my helmet in, but my head was unscathed. Other parts of my body didn't fare so well, but my head was intact, so I'm here writing this today. I've never ridden without a helmet. Not even once.

Now that I live in Ohio where there is no helmet law, I'm astounded to see that (my rough guess) around 10% of riders wear helmets. If I didn't have a helmet, I wouldn't ride.

As for the heat problem, I've ordered some wings, and I'll report back once I've installed them.

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
imported post

Well, I started this thread, and I'll continue it now, including the tangents.

I bought and received a pair of the Baker Built wings. I've put them on the bike, but haven't had a chance to try them out - I will report back with the results once I do.

As for jackets, I too have a Kevlar Joe Rocket jacket. I bought it back when I had my GSXR750. It's got armored shoulders, elbows and back inserts and it's waterproof, but more importantly, it's modular. It's got a waterproof windproof liner that you can snap into it, and wearing just the jacket with the liner, I've ridden comfortably with just a T-shirt when it was 40 degrees out (and this was on my GSXR, which has no fairing to speak of, and you get the full blast of the wind). My hands froze inside my gloves, and I'd end up shoving them down in the engine to keep them warm, but I was warm in the jacket.

For warmer weather, the insert comes out, for warmer still weather, it has all kinds of vents and such that zip open all over. And for god-awful-hot weather, the lower half of the jacket zips away entirely, leaving just the armor and a thin mesh that lets wind right through. Like you're wearing no jacket at all, but you keep the armor. And, it has a built in back-pack you can use to stuff the liner and jacket parts into should you need a change while you're out riding. Of course, now with the Goldwing, I just stuff it into a saddle bag.

I can't recommend it highly enough. It was around $300 if I remember correctly.

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
imported post

OK, I got the Baker wings for my 82 GL1100A. It took me about 15 minutes to put them on, and then I found the instructions, so it probably would have taken less. Quite simple.

End result is amazing. We went out on a long ride on a rather hot day yesterday, and the wings blew away all of the engine heat that normally cooks my legs. I am more than pleased with them. The effect is most noticable at 40 mph and above.

So end result: I love them. Well worth the $80. Problem is solved!

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
imported post

Having lived in Canada until recently, I can tell you this - NEVER use UPS to ship anything across the border. UPS has a flat brokerage fee plus added fees based on value and weight, end result that you can expect to pay a minimum extra $30 customs/brokerage fees on anything shipped from the US. Fedex is much cheaper, around $15, and good old post office cheaper still - and whether or not the post office charges duty is pretty much a crap shoot. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind it.

The end result was, when I lived in Canada, if I wanted to buy something from a US vendor, and they only shipped UPS, I would go find another vendor.

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
Damn, that's a good looking bike! One more thought on the cover deal. It's entirely possible that the covers could make things run cooler. When working on light aircraft I have more than once flown one with the cowling off (prove it FAA). It's pretty common for an aircooled aircraft engine to run cooler with the cowling to direct the airflow than with the whole engine exposed. The same could be possible with the covers. Who knows?

That's normal for an aircraft engine. Being air-cooled, it depends on airflow for cooling, which is why each of the cylinders have large fins on them. With the cowling on, the baffles seal against the top of the engine, directing the large amount of incoming air down through the cylinder fins and out the bottom of the cowling. A common cause of high cylinder head temperatures in light aircraft is degraded baffles. I'm surprised you didn't overtemp and destroy the engine flying it without a cowl in place.

1 - 6 of 138 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.