Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed new tires on my 1200 when I purchased the bike about a month ago. I had the back tire installed before I got the Dyna Beads in, so I just had it static balanced thinking when I got the Beads, I would install then.

I had the front tire mounted at a different shop, and didn't have them balance the tire because I had the beads. Per the instructions, I put in 2 ounces of Dyna Beads, installed the new valve guts and but air in.

Delima: At low speeds (under 35 or so) the front end bounces like crazy. At highway speeds it's as smooth as ice.......... But so is the back tire that I had static balanced.

Im thinking of having the front tire taken off, capture as many beads as possible and getting it static balanced as well.

I know over time, the tire will change and may need re-balancing, but what if i was to but about 1/2 ounce or so beads back in? If they arnt needed it won't hurt, and when they are needed they will be there. A small amount would still give imbalance, but shouldn't be anything like I have now.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

How did the tyre handle before you put the beads in, did you have time to ride the bike first? I'm just thinking the tyre might be mounted badly.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Didn't ride the tire at all with out the beads. I mentioned the other garage in my post because the guy that installed the tire is an absolute Motorcycle Genius. He called my problem when I told him to not balance it...... He's a great guy and knows his marks. I am absolutely certain that he has the tire installed correctly.

He said that it wasn't that far out of balance and really quizzed my wanting to install the Dyna beads. I installed them not just for the ride I was hoping to get, but to help prolong tire wear and life. With the amount of low speed bounce though, I don't see how that's possible..... along with many more fork repairs because of it.....

The tire is a E II

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Perhaps there is some liquid inside the tire causing the beads to clump.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

From the FAQ section on the Innovative Balancing web site.....

At what speed do the beads start to work?

A: The balancing principle is based on centrifigal force, and enough
force is developed to keep the beads in position at approximately
25 - 35 MPH, but the exact speed is dependant upon tire diameter.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrot
I know over time, the tire will change and may need re-balancing, but what if i was to but about 1/2 ounce or so beads back in? If they arnt needed it won't hurt, and when they are needed they will be there. A small amount would still give imbalance, but shouldn't be anything like I have now.
I think your theory is right on myself.

I have a 1 ton dually truck and have wasted a lot of money getting the tires balanced. Every time, the wheel balancer will zero right out just fine.

But, once mounted up on those big hubs and the rear drums, I get the same damn vibration at 65 mph. Always at 63-65 the wheels start jumping. Going faster just makes it worse.

So, today I ordered up dynabeads and I intend on throwing in about 2 ounces and leaving the wheel weights where they are. The weights will take care of the side-to-side dynamic balance, and the beads can handle the up/dn static balance issues.

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

I put Dyna beads in my 1200 front and back and they are as smooth as glass however when i bought my front tire found out the tire was bad and it wobbled sent it back and they tested it and it was bad. they sent me a new tire put the beads in and all is well. I tell this story cause bad tires do happen and my Dyna beads experiance has been good will use them from now on. Oh yeh I don't think they make the E 2 anymore I could be wrong. check your date code on the tire may be really old

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I think Down is right on there. I haven't had any problems with the beads. I don't even balance mine. I would check that tire to make sure it's OK. I'm fairly certain that the E 2 is no longer made. Now, that being said, there's nothing wrong with using the beads and weights, in fact it's suggested on the bigger tires by the Dynabeads manufacturer. Balancing the tires and then putting the beads in should only help, but there's people that say that it only makes it worse. I wouldn't know about that though because like I said, I've not had any problems with them.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have posted that I just put a new front tire and CounterAct beads in mine. The ride was MUCH improved. I, too, think you may have a blemished tire. Oh yeah, and I was checking the pressure today, before a ride, and the new schrader valves would stick open! A quick shot of air pressure cleared it right away, but that would suck if you were on the road and checked air pressure, and they stuck!!! Live and learn, I guess. :?jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

When mounting the tire if you use to much grease and it gets inside the tire, the beads will clump together(making them useless). ArmourAll or something similar will work better. I have been using them and love them.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The tire rides great once you get it over 35 MPH, but below 35, it bounces. I went for a ride last night and it was bouncing so much I started laughing.......

I'll have to mount the camera and film it.

The guy who installed the tire was familiar with Dyna Beads. As much as he tried to talk me out of them, he knew I was going to use them, so he made sure he didn't use to much soap (or whatever they use)and then I let is sit for a couple of days.

As stated before, the installer also checked the balance of the tire and said it wasn't bad at all. Im guessing, based on that comment, that I probably could have put in half the amount and the tire would still ride great at 36+ and better at 35 and below.

AZgl1500: I have an F-150 that the rear tire is doing the same thing, rides good till 65-70. So I also got 4 more ounces and valves for that as well....... Please post your results...... I'll wait......

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Several threads on dynabeads on this forum.... they only make things worse at low speeds, but start to correctly distribute at higher speeds... that speed is not the same for all tires..

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

I have used Dyna Beads before and loved them and never had any issues. And they were installed with a new set of tires. No dampness in the tires from the start and the tires were not static balanced ... We just installed the beads and went on my merry way.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
jobe05 wrot
I think your theory is right on myself.

I have a 1 ton dually truck and have wasted a lot of money getting the tires balanced. Every time, the wheel balancer will zero right out just fine.

But, once mounted up on those big hubs and the rear drums, I get the same damn vibration at 65 mph. Always at 63-65 the wheels start jumping. Going faster just makes it worse.

So, today I ordered up dynabeads and I intend on throwing in about 2 ounces and leaving the wheel weights where they are. The weights will take care of the side-to-side dynamic balance, and the beads can handle the up/dn static balance issues.
I had the same problem with my motorhome. Come to find out, the tires had to be balanced AND the tires trued on the vehicle. A large vehicle repair facility had to be used, not your local Goodyear dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Just to mention, that tire blemishes/lumps mostly happen AFTER a run up to speed. Maybe that tire WAS fine on the tire machine, but after running, and warmed up, sumpin happened? Just a thought. jimsjinx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.