Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say that this fall I put new tires and Dyna Beads on the wing and it rides great. Thanks to all the people that suggested these.:bow:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I like them, just be aware that if you have 90 deg. stems that you must shoot a little air into them first before checking the pressure. If you do not then sometimes a bead will be sitting in the stem when you check the pressure and will then hold the valve open causing all of the tires pressure to leak out. Just a simple puff of air first prevents this from ever happening.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I like them, just be aware that if you have 90 deg. stems that you must shoot a little air into them first before checking the pressure. If you do not then sometimes a bead will be sitting in the stem when you check the pressure and will then hold the valve open causing all of the tires pressure to leak out. Just a simple puff of air first prevents this from ever happening.
How do you determine the proper amount of Dyna Beads to put in the tires?

Do you use the same amount in front and rear tire?

Can they be used on car tires on the bike?

Chief

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
2 oz in the front and back with nc tires, 3 oz in a car tire on a motorcycle, but I would dart with the 2 oz and see if it takes care of any issues. I didn't add any to my Austine Taxi when I installed it, rides perfect!!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I keep hearing about these. It's hard to believe tiny little plastic beads could have any effect on tire balance. Do you use them in tires that have already been balanced with weights, or as an alternative to balancing with weights?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I keep hearing about these. It's hard to believe tiny little plastic beads could have any effect on tire balance. Do you use them in tires that have already been balanced with weights, or as an alternative to balancing with weights?
You do not have to balance the tire first. You only need the dynabeads. You don't need the weights. If the tire is already mounted the rim, you can add the beads into the tire through the valve stem.

They are not recommended for car tires, but they are recommended for truck tires.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I had like 5 weights on my back tire and 1 on the front ...removed them and added dyna beads... it was very smooth after that

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
You do not have to balance the tire first. You only need the dynabeads. You don't need the weights. If the tire is already mounted the rim, you can add the beads into the tire through the valve stem.

They are not recommended for car tires, but they are recommended for truck tires.
Why are they OK for MC tires, but not for car tires???

Chief

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
From their website;

"We don't market to cars, SUV's or minivans due to the overall style of those tires, which usually have a low aspect ratio. We classify tires with a low aspect ratio "low-profile". Low profile tires often need lateral balance correction that can only be rectified with the use of standard wheel weights applied to both the inside and outside rim.
So that means that while Dyna Beads should not be used as the sole balancing method for these tire types, you can use Dyna Beads as a "Maintenance Amount". Using a combination of weights and Dyna Beads results in higher tire mileage and a reduction, or elimination, of future rebalancing requirements."

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I just applied them,,never read any instructions but I thought I would set the tires bead with air first, then let the air out and apply the beads, then I also rotated the wheel some so the beads would stay at the bottom of the tire and the valve at 9 oclock, the reason for this is because I read of a fella that got beads between his tire and rim, I bet he didn't set the bead first..And when he applied air, it was at 6 oclock and the beads shot up in between the rim and tire causing him a air leak and a pain in the butt.. Wow......... I put in 2oz. per tire

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I have used Dyna beads as well and was very happy with them. I have found an alternate source for them that is much less expensive though. The bead balancers are available through auto parts stores. You can get 10 ounces of them in a bag for less that the Dyna Beads from Wing Stuff or Chrome World.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I purchased a 12 ounce bag of them on Ebay some time ago and placed them into a cleaned out plastic honey bottle with the small dispenser on the lid (looks like a glue bottle with the pull off cap).
I also took about 8" of clear tubing and connect that to the bottle and around the valve stem (with the valve removed) then it is an easy process to insert 2-3 ounces of beads into a tire.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
is that ounces in weight or volume?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Most tires for motorcycles and scooters list 2oz. by weight. I put Dyna Beads in my Silverwing scooter to try them out. At 100mph with the wheel weights I could feel a bit of vibration but wasn't sure that it was wheel imbalance. I ran it up to speed again with Dyna beads leaving the wheel weights in place and it seemed to be a bit smoother. Hard to tell for sure because the orignal run didn't have a strong vibration. The last run was with the wheel weights removed which seemed about the same. It would seem to me that leaving the wheel weights in place should be the way to go because then the beads wouldn't have so much unbalance to overcome. I couldn't tell the difference with or without the weights. The instructions say to remove the old weights but I don't know why.
BTW - Even a 600cc scooter can go through some gas running a bit over three miles at 100mph. I think the average mileage at that speed would be about 25mpg or half of what it usually gets at highway speeds.
One thing I had a problem with was getting the beads to go into the 90 degree rear tire valve. No problem in front which has a straight valve. In the rear the beads wanted to jam up. I found that vibration on the tire stem sped things up very well. I used a four foot long vinyl tube (I had it on hand) that allowed me to put almost the full 2 ounces of beads in the tube at once. I used my HF vibrator saw without a blade held against the tire stem which let the beads feed in smoothly.
When I change tires again I'll probably just hand balance them with stick on weights unless I can corral all the beads I have in the tires now.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
My 1800 had 5 weights. On the back metzler 880 and 2 on the front Dunlop e3
After adding 2 ounces front and 3 in back I removed the weights it was very smooth at any speed ...my buddy had a vibration at certain speeds on his 1500 ..after adding the beads vibration gone .. and he left his weights on

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I have used Dyna beads as well and was very happy with them. I have found an alternate source for them that is much less expensive though. The bead balancers are available through auto parts stores. You can get 10 ounces of them in a bag for less that the Dyna Beads from Wing Stuff or Chrome World.
canuck, are you speaking of the Counteract beads? I have been searching a little online today and it looks like the prices are all over the place on the same bags. I may be missing something I guess? Are all they're actual beads the same for motorcycles and trucks?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.