Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My points seem to be tougher than i thought. What is this dyna i keep hearing about? Will it make life easier? How much?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

where do i find this electronic ignition at? Sounds like its been good to you.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dyna-S DS1-3 Electronic Ignition:

Fits 75-79
1 year factory warranty - for Honda GL1000 Goldwing - set and forget - no more messing with points... creates a stronger more consistent spark
$145 Item # 20-014

http://www.crescentmooncycles.com/html/electrical___ignition.html

About 2/3rds down the page. You may want to get the coils for it too.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Just be aware, folks that have installed them have indicated it can be hair pulling experience to get them timed right the first time but once set you never have to re-set them.

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
imported post

I like points if they are good quality points not the crap with the plastic rubbing block and cheap spring. The OE points (if you could get them)installed correctly will never give problems between scheduled tune ups and can be made to work on the side of the road at least well enough to get somewhere if need be. Nothing wrong with electronic if it's reliable. I know nothing about the Dyna setup but aftermarket electronic ignitions I have seen installed on cars have always been un-reliable. I will admit electronics have improved over the last 25 years.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I replaced the points in my 76 Suzuki GS750 in the spring of 77 with a electronic unit (I think it was a Dyna unit but that was a couple of years ago so my memory is a bit foggy) I sold the bike in 89 and never had any trouble with the ignition.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I installed a Dyna on my GL1000 last week. Installation leaves a lot to be desired. No room for the washers on the screws that hold down the plate, yet without the washers the screws won't hold the plate. No way to get the timing correct on both banks without grinding away some of the plastic on the pickup modules so they can be slid closer together. Still, considering how I hate fiddling with the points and timing on the GL1000 with the stupid timing mark location, the Dyna is a relative piece of cake. Once it's set, it's set for good.

BTW: I bought it on Ebay for $125 with free shipping. It arrived at my home in Oregon from back east in just 2 days.

Q

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
I know nothing about the Dyna setup but aftermarket electronic ignitions I have seen installed on cars have always been un-reliable. I will admit electronics have improved over the last 25 years.
I installed my first electronic CDI ignition system in a 1970 Volkswagen in 1970. I last heard of the old car still running in Nome, Alaska with the CDI still in the car. I converted the ignition system of my Rotax 582 in my Avid Flyer homebuilt aircraft from points to aHall effect triggered CDI system in 1988 and never had a bit of trouble with it in the ten years and more than 1000 hours I flew it. I will convert my 1000 to Dyna once I get it rebuilt and ready for the road. You can always carry the old points with you if you're a belt and suspenders type guy but I doubt a properly installed system will give any difficulty, they've been selling them for a good length of time now too so any bugs should have been exterminated.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I like points if they are good quality points but I like the electronic system better since no points system can maintain a dwell or timing set. Again the Dyna has an outstanding record and there must be thousands still in use. I’ve installed five systems, two of my own and a few friends and never had a bit of trouble with fit or setup.

Hey exavid, my first electronic CDI ignition system was in a 1966 VW around 1975. My cousin is still driving it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well with christmas i will have to wait for CDI. So for now i installed new BLACK BOMMER cb450 points with the extra copper ground. I am sure i will get the CDI later though. Adjusting the points almost made me crack and go koo koo.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

I have a Dyna earlier model on my 76 and a Honda electronic ignition on my 78. Both have worked perfectly for me. Once they were set, that was it.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I've never had a Goldwing with points but put the Dyna in all the Kawasaki KZ650s. The best single improvement there is period. I know you can fix points on the side of the road, that's just great because you have to quite often :)I'd rather ride than fix.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site oldgrills! :waving::waving:

Would that be old automobile grills or barbeque grills? Or was that a type and you like oldgirls? Anywhich way it is welcome. Here's the installation instructions if they don't answer your questions start a new topic on the technical forum asking for help with the Dyna. That will get more notice than tacking onto the end of an old posting.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/instruct/D31-3.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.