Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Dynabeads installed and am quite a ways from needing new tires. I have found that with the right angle valve stems, unless I blow air thru the stem first, when I check the tire pressure, about 25% of the time the valve will stay hung open due to a bead getting stuck. Not a big deal, just an annoyance to rectify.

Anyway, I see Big Bike Parts brand TPMS is on sale and I'd like to take advantage. What I'd like to know is whether the little beads will sneak into the TPMS sensors and screw them up. I've never had one get all the way thru the valve core but.......

Any expereinces with this?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Hey Andy, thanks for the heads up on that, I am just now going to try these beads out to see what all the fuss is about.. Now if that happens I will know about it in advance..Thank you...

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Should not be a problem.
Having the beads getting caught in the valve stem can be avoided "most" of the time by tapping on the valve stem a bit "before" checking the air pressure. It is also a good idea to have the valve stem in a position that when it is tapped... the latent bead can roll out. Anything from 4:00 to 8:00 position.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I just can't get into this bead thing, I spin balance my tires with lead weights. If you have beads in there, then I would definitely put the stem near the top. Those beads must be awfully small to get stuck in a valve stem.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If you have beads in there, then I would definitely put the stem near the top.
I think you have it reversed.
The stem should be near the bottom so that the beads can drop out of it.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
If you're worried about TPMS damage from balancing beads, you may wanna look into the "CounterAct" brand beads , rather than DynaBead brand - I've had far fewer of these in stems. The manufacturer's documentation talks about these flowing more freely (teflon coated and prolly 'pixie dust') so teir balancing effect begins beow the 30mph that is so often touted for DynaBeads. Also, IRC, CounterAct has some sort of "won't damage TPMS" warranty/guarantee or at least statement, where DynaBeads does not.

Also, there are filtered valve-stem valve-inserts that will keep teh beads away from he sealing area once you've installed the beads and replace the valve-insert with the filtered insert.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
DynaBeads, TPMS, and other options

I have used DynaBeads on 3 bikes and they work fine...even with TPMS. Most recently I switched to RideOn balancing and self sealing fluid. I disabled the TPMS because the OEM sensors on the inside of the rim cracked and I didnt want to have parts rolling around inside. I found that I never missed the TPMS anyway but now have new found confidence knowing that not only will my tires continue to be balanced but if I catch a nail or screw on the road, all I need to do is remove it and it self seals.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I personally, used CounterAct beads, because they "included" special schrader valves to be used with the beads. They still hung up with glass dust. Stuck open! I NEVER check air pressure unless I'm near an air source to blow the dust out of the valves. I would also wonder if these beads will damage a TPS system. Other than that, the beads work for me. jimsjinx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.