Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking at buying a Dynatek electronic ignitionfor a 76 GL1000. Anyone have any experience or comments about these? Thanks

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Just installed one today on my 79. I'm not all that impressed with the installation. The way the pickup units are mounted to the plate doesn't leave enough room for the washers on the mounting screws. Then in order to get the timing correct on all cylinders I had to grind off some plastic from the pickup modules to get them close enough together.

Anyway it runs fine and I'm looking forward to not having to fiddle with points.

Q

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes those are an exercise in frustration. How they can continue to sell a product without making changes to it is amazing. First off the coils are mounted to the main plate in such a way you cannot use washers to hold the plate secure. Without the washers the screw heads are not large enough to hold the plate.

It is a very bad design and one does have to be inventive to make them work.

If there is anything else out there, or any other brand, I would certainly give them a try.

Kit :whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::arguing::arguing::battle::battle:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I installed a kit back in the early nineties on the 78 GL1000 I used to own.
I don't remember having much of a problem with the installation. It seems
it took about 45 minutes to do the install.

I do remember having a much better running bike. Never had a single
ignition timing problem after the conversion. It really worked good.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

ebay has some listings that are even cheaper.

There's a new one there right now for 49.95.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well maybe the older ones were designed differently, maybe the newer ones are?
Maybe like tires there are two Dyna factories, tires are like that, one factory makes good tires that get a lot of miles and the other one makes tires that wear out quick. :D

I just had a very recent experience with that stupid Dyna ignition and would never ever install one if I wanted a reliable bike. It is the pitts. We just had a recent situation where a members bike broke down beside the road. We thought it was the fuel pump as yes the fuel pump was not real strong, those old pumps do not produce much pressure anyway, but this one would produce not even enough to build up pressure, it would work just a bit, but anyways after putting on a new fuel pump the bike did start, ran for about ten minutes , but when I got on it to check it out it died.
Would not start either.

So it was back to hum??? It was the Dyna ignition that had vibrated loose and naturally the bike would not run. I am firmly convinced that was what stopped the bike. The thing is just really poorly designed, with just the screw fasteners installed it does not mate with the main plate hardly at all. So very easy for the plate to vibrate one way or the other and pop out from under the screw head. Washers will not work, I tried several small size ones from Napa, there is simply not room because of the coils being so close to the edge of the plate and the area were the plate is fastened to the body of the bike housing. So after much trial and error, I found that another trip to Napa and some fasteners with just a tiny bit bigger head would barely work, I wanted to take a dremel tool to the coils, but was afraid to, wanted to make space for lock washers to firmly secure the gadget. But settled for the bigger screw heads.

Did not like the whole situation, not at all. It is ok as the owner of the bike now knows about the thing so if it does vibrate loose, beside the road, one can mess around with it enough to get it started, and worry about timing it later, but just the same it is a very poor situation.

The web site that sells Dyna shows a different designed plate, is it? or is it just a photo of generic variety? I do not know as that was the first 1000 wing I had ever worked on, do not know much about them, but do know I really do not like that Dyna ignition set up. Maybe the new ones have been redesigned, if not they should be, as room to fasten the plate securely to the housing is really needed.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Well maybe the older ones were designed differently, maybe the newer ones are?
Maybe like tires there are two Dyna factories, tires are like that, one factory makes good tires that get a lot of miles and the other one makes tires that wear out quick. :D

I just had a very recent experience with that stupid Dyna ignition and would never ever install one if I wanted a reliable bike. It is the pitts. We just had a recent situation where a members bike broke down beside the road. We thought it was the fuel pump as yes the fuel pump was not real strong, those old pumps do not produce much pressure anyway, but this one would produce not even enough to build up pressure, it would work just a bit, but anyways after putting on a new fuel pump the bike did start, ran for about ten minutes , but when I got on it to check it out it died.
Would not start either.

So it was back to hum??? It was the Dyna ignition that had vibrated loose and naturally the bike would not run. I am firmly convinced that was what stopped the bike. The thing is just really poorly designed, with just the screw fasteners installed it does not mate with the main plate hardly at all. So very easy for the plate to vibrate one way or the other and pop out from under the screw head. Washers will not work, I tried several small size ones from Napa, there is simply not room because of the coils being so close to the edge of the plate and the area were the plate is fastened to the body of the bike housing. So after much trial and error, I found that another trip to Napa and some fasteners with just a tiny bit bigger head would barely work, I wanted to take a dremel tool to the coils, but was afraid to, wanted to make space for lock washers to firmly secure the gadget. But settled for the bigger screw heads.

Did not like the whole situation, not at all. It is ok as the owner of the bike now knows about the thing so if it does vibrate loose, beside the road, one can mess around with it enough to get it started, and worry about timing it later, but just the same it is a very poor situation.

The web site that sells Dyna shows a different designed plate, is it? or is it just a photo of generic variety? I do not know as that was the first 1000 wing I had ever worked on, do not know much about them, but do know I really do not like that Dyna ignition set up. Maybe the new ones have been redesigned, if not they should be, as room to fasten the plate securely to the housing is really needed.

Kit
i have installed 2 dayna systems ( one you know about ) and the other on rudys 1000 . rudys was just a bit differnt in the plate . installed as per . no problems . but i will say that they had differnt boxes that they came in. so maybe there is old and new . but it would be nice to know if a mod was made. as i plan on putting one in my 79 . if and when i ever get it done . just like anything else---when thy work--great . when they dont---####@$!!!### . know what i mean ? wayne

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. I have had my share
of frustrating mechanical experiences with my beloved
Goldwings, also.

It could be the kit was not the DS1-3. Perhaps Dynatek
has changed something in the design. It might be worth
a call to their support line or an email. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the comments ,pro and con. I think I will pass on this for now untill I have a chance to talk to dynatek as 2slim suggested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.