Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysentery, Flat tire and Rained on! GREAT RIDE!!!

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Brojees 
#1 ·
imported post

But it was a great ride.

Straight line driving can be boring though I love it though when you twitch your bum in the seat and feel that crisp resistance. But when the bike wigs when you wag and wags when you wig, you slow down quick. You do some slow speed manuevers and the rear end has that delightful precision of gelatin....Uh OH!!! Quick check shows a tyre rapidly losing air....Uh OH!!!

Never fear, you have your inflation goo as a last resort and your handy plug kit right there in the starboard pannier. Wee nail hole, luckily the plug worked and I was able to air up and keep going.

Now as to the dysentery....Wonder if the plug would work there as well?

#3 ·
imported post

Brojees

I know exactly how you feel. We just returned from a trip to the Oregon coast. While going through Salem the rear end got that wierd feeling like your in ruts andthe bikewants to steer itself. I pulled over and sure enough a nail puncture. I did the same thing... plugged the holeand got to the local Honda dealer. I have to give those guys a big "thank you" at CYCLE COUNTRY in Salem, they got me back on the road within an hour. Now the interesting part. We were about40 miles east of Prineville on Hwy 26, right at the Ochoco summit and I hit something and get another flat. Brand new tire with 200 miles on it gone flat, 6:30 pm, 100 degreesand now we're in the middle of nowhere. This time the tire had a 3/4" tear in it and I never thought it would hold air. Plugged it and it held air and we made it to the next town. We stayed at the Sky Hook Motel in Mitchell and in the morning the owner (Dennis) offered to drive me to Bend (60 miles away) to get a new tire. I have a great deal of gratitude to people in Oregon... thanks.

All in all... great trip but I could do without the flats. I now have a extra rearwheel and tire to take on the next trip which is next Tuesday. We're heading up north into the Yukon.

#5 ·
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
The Plug may have worked on you problem but don't accidently use the "Fix a Flat" there!?!!:goofygrin:
I think I see your point, succinct as it is!

#6 ·
imported post

XCLR8N wrote:
All in all... great trip but I could do without the flats. I now have a extra rearwheel and tire to take on the next trip which is next Tuesday. We're heading up north into the Yukon.
Okay, I give up, how are you carrying a spare tire?

#7 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
XCLR8N wrote:
Seen pics of guys carrying spares tied to their bikes going to Alaska !!:baffled:

#8 ·
imported post

The real laugh would be having the front tire fail with a spare rear tied on! It's almost axiomatic that whatever you carry as a spare won't be needed.

#9 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
The real laugh would be having the front tire fail with a spare rear tied on! It's almost axiomatic that whatever you carry as a spare won't be needed.
Leatherman??:goofygrin:

Pete

#10 ·
imported post

I live in an area that is growing very fast and a lot of new construction. I have had one flat and and one friend has had two this year. He plugged them and kept going:dance:

#12 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Leatherman??:goofygrin:

Pete
It's the next step beyond the Swiss Army Knife. I carry a good sized one in my right cubby. It's a folding pair of pliers that has a Phillips screwdriver, two sizes of flat tip screwdrivers, file, awl, knife blade, wire cutter, long nose plier and a few more that I can't recall at the moment. The things come in a Leather carry case hence theappellation I suppose. I have a smaller on I often wear on my belt, especially when driving buses, always have a screw loose other than the one behind the wheel.

http://www.leatherman.com/

#13 ·
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Do you not have "Leatherman's" over there "SilverFox" ?:baffled:

A great tool, amust have when your on a bike !:clapper:
No no guys, you misunderstood my quoting,I was just joking with Exavid about how his Leatherman was his only essential toolkit,of course we have Leathermans tools here. I have one, well it's not exactly a Leatherman, you need a mortgage to have a genuine one, but it is a cheeper version. Not so good quality but it is standing up to my use and i've had it a few years now. Even Helen has a cute little tool that you probably know, a Vitrinox creditcard sized tool kit. It is wicked, has an amazing array of tools on it, and she keeps it tucked in her leather cigarette pouch.

I keep the mutitool at home, sinceI am a builder my tools in the van cover when I am away, but canI find a screwdriver at home, no chance, but I always know I can turn to the multitool in the third drawer down in the kitchen.:clapper:

So if I ever see a horse limping past the house I will be able to leap outside and extract that stone from its hoof!!:goofygrin:

I have yet to make up that extra little tool kit to carry on the bike, but I have taken notes from the postings and have a good list of necessaries to include.

Pete

#15 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
So if I ever see a horse limping past the house I will be able to leap outside and extract that stone from its hoof!!:goofygrin:

I have yet to make up that extra little tool kit to carry on the bike, but I have taken notes from the postings and have a good list of necessaries to include.

Pete
First off you'd be better off it you jump outside and pull a thorn from a Lion's paw, theoretically it has a better payoff.

As for that extra tool in thekit, a small pair of vise grips can be worth their weight in gold.

#16 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
First off you'd be better off it you jump outside and pull a thorn from a Lion's paw, theoretically it has a better payoff.

As for that extra tool in thekit, a small pair of vise grips can be worth their weight in gold.
Nah, yellow brick road doesn't run past our gaff.

No way am I putting vice grips in my toolkit, I can only imagine the excruciating pain, Helen of Croy could cause me with those if I did something wrong!!

Pete

#17 ·
imported post

SilverFox,

I got a hunch she can throw a couple looks that are worse than the vice Grips:X, the ole' "Viking Death Stare" !!!!!:goofygrin:

She's also known as "Helen the Red":chopper: isn't she ?!

#18 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
No way am I putting vice grips in my toolkit, I can only imagine the excruciating pain, Helen of Croy could cause me with those if I did something wrong!!

Pete
You don't carry pliers either?

#19 ·
imported post

I know I do, but then La Reina del Mundo never resorts to physical violence.

#20 ·
imported post

Have only the GW tool kit at the moment, have only been doing local trips out so far, however, I will be gathering a small tool pouch together, based on my experience and some of the bits and bobs that you guys recommend. Main "accesory" will be breakdown cover with the RAC or AA, that way, I know the bike will get picked up if a real problem occurs. To be honest I am too long in the tooth to be doing much roadside repairs, played that game for years and it's time to let others do the work.

Did a nice 150+ round trip to the coast yesterday, met a few Wing riders and amazingly the sun shone on us all day.:)I am slowly but shorely getting Helen used to the time in the saddle. Met one couple who had a 1500 with one of those ride on ride off centre stands, boy, if theyare still available, I got to get my hands on one of those, the guy was shorter and older than me but made it look so easy!! He had a well loaded trailer behind too.

Didn't get dysentry, but the tum is a bit dodgey today, from too much greesey food, burgers and chips play havoc, and need to be close to the loo today!!

Definately going to get some tyre repair goo, strikes me, that would be a good investment. One stray nail and the wing is out of the game, bad enough on a small bike, but not for me a rear wheel removal by the side of the motorway, with trucks thundering by at 60mph!!:(

Pete

#21 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Have only the GW tool kit at the moment, have only been doing local trips out so far, however, I will be gathering a small tool pouch together, based on my experience and some of the bits and bobs that you guys recommend. Main "accesory" will be breakdown cover with the RAC or AA, that way, I know the bike will get picked up if a real problem occurs. To be honest I am too long in the tooth to be doing much roadside repairs, played that game for years and it's time to let others do the work.

Did a nice 150+ round trip to the coast yesterday, met a few Wing riders and amazingly the sun shone on us all day.:)I am slowly but shorely getting Helen used to the time in the saddle. Met one couple who had a 1500 with one of those ride on ride off centre stands, boy, if theyare still available, I got to get my hands on one of those, the guy was shorter and older than me but made it look so easy!! He had a well loaded trailer behind too.

Didn't get dysentry, but the tum is a bit dodgey today, from too much greesey food, burgers and chips play havoc, and need to be close to the loo today!!

Definately going to get some tyre repair goo, strikes me, that would be a good investment. One stray nail and the wing is out of the game, bad enough on a small bike, but not for me a rear wheel removal by the side of the motorway, with trucks thundering by at 60mph!!:(

Pete
Get a plug kit as well and allow the plug to be your first line of defense not the goo. If you have ever seen a tyre dismounted after using the goo, you will know why I say this!

#22 ·
imported post

Exavid wrote:

Exavid,

Sorry, I should have been a little more discriptive. I mount it on the front of the bike and look through it. No, really, I meant when we go on trips, I take the trailer.

You'll have to excuse my timing to your question but I've been away all weekend.

Steve

#23 ·
imported post

The photos are back!!

Left from home

Waved at the new neighbours

Dropped by Mum's to check on her before I left.

and rolled out for my trip!

#24 ·
imported post

Nice place Brojees, a tad difficult to see that "Yellow Brick Road" but nice!!

Mum could do with a visit from a double glazing rep!! And a quick check over with a Geiger counter wouldn't go amiss.:goofygrin:

Pete

#25 ·
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Nice place Brojees, a tad difficult to see that "Yellow Brick Road" but nice!!

Mum could do with a visit from a double glazing rep!! And a quick check over with a Geiger counter wouldn't go amiss.:goofygrin:

Pete
Mums a spry old bird to be sure. You knew I was tinker's get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.