Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

KTM reveals race-ready electric motorcycle, production within 2 years
If you had any doubts that electricity is the future of off-road performance, this bike should eliminate them. KTM has created a fully functional electric, zero emissions enduro prototype and intends to put it into production. In keeping with its "Ready to Race" slogan, the Zero Emissions Motorcycle is a full-on competition bike, in which capacity it will be evaluated and developed before going on-sale as little as 24 months from now.

Update: KTM finally got around to issuing a press release, details from which follow the jump.
The Austrian company is releasing very few details of the Zero Emissions Motorcycle, but has revealed that it develops 29.5lb/ft of torque and carries lithium ion batteries capable of lasting 40 minutes under "race conditions" and that can be fully recharged in just one hour. In comparison, the Quantya Strada that we rode around our Brooklyn office develops only 23lb/ft. It's difficult to compare the two models' ranges as "race conditions" are hard to define, but Quantya says the Strada should be capable of about 25 miles off-road, which sounds like a rough equivalent.

KTM's battery pack and electric motor together weigh 17kg (for a total machine weight of 90kg or 198lbs. That's 7kg lighter than a KTM 125 EXC), but some of this weight will be offset by the elimination of the clutch; exhaust pipes and canisters; fuel tank and other necessities of internal combustion. The company expects that the Zero Emissions Motorcycle will carry a small price premium over a KTM enduro of similar performance.

Discussing the thinking behind the Zero Emissions Motorcycle project, KTM board member Harald Plöckinger says the lack of noise and emissions means "We can bring now the Enduro sport again more near in the centers of dense development and cities." Indeed the greatest advantage electricity brings to dirt bikes isn't the number of spotted owls that will be saved (comparatively cars, homes and industry all pollute exponentially more than all motorcycles put together), but rather the access that the power source will be capable of granting and preserving.

Seeing the competitive advantage the Zero Emissions Motorcycle would provide KTM and the environmental and political advantages it would give both the company and the country, the project is being part financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry for traffic, innovation and technology.

KTM
[align=center] [/align]

World's Fastest Production Electric Motorcycle - 2010 Mission One from Mission Motors

Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on TTXGP on June 12, the first zero-emissions motorcycle race on the Isle of Mann.

The first Mission One motorcycles will be delivered early in 2010, First year production will be 300 units. The first 50 units will be offered as the Premier Limited Edition version at a price of $68,995. Yes, a bit pricey for the average rider but I will be surprised if these don't sell out.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
imported post

Out of my budget sadly, but oooh, wouldn't that be nice to have in my garage ;)

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Pretty Cool actually. However, unless they are charging it from solar power or wind power, it certainly is not zero emmissions producing except when on the track. Somewhere, someone has to use a dirty old coal fired generating station to produce the electricity to charge it. Another scam that rates right up there with green power and electric cars.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
imported post

What? You mean that guy in that fancy new Toyota Prius is not quite as smug as he thinks he is? :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

I don't see that working for an enduro. The distance and time it takes to ride an enduro race,even the C loop is much longer than 40 minutes. Even a motocross race is 45 minutes plus 1 lap.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

Pretty Cool actually. However, unless they are charging it from solar power or wind power, it certainly is not zero emmissions producing except when on the track. Somewhere, someone has to use a dirty old coal fired generating station to produce the electricity to charge it. Another scam that rates right up there with green power and electric cars.

If you are lucky enough to live in a place that produces power from green sources like Hydro then it is a close to zero emissions.:D:D

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Aitkameg wrote:
If you are lucky enough to live in a place that produces power from green sources like Hydro then it is a close to zero emissions.:D:D
Wait a minute! Hydro as in water isn't green unless there's a bunch of algae in it and in that case it isn't flowing fast enough to generate electricity.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

I don't think I could get use to riding motocross without the sound. I think it would be scary jumping over a large jump in silence.:action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.