Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing tires on my 1500 noticed that the e3s I am taking off have the forward arrow pointing backward. What would be the reason to mount the tires that way?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The arrow points to rotation. If it points backward the guy who mounted it either didn't notice it or didn't believe it. The rain sipes on a front tire look like this from the front: /\. On a rear tire they look the same from the rear: /\. They go that way so when the tire is SLIDING, water will be swept out from under it. A rear tire slides under acceleration much more often than braking; a front tire only slides when braking.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I agree, it was a mistake on the installer's part...He had too many beers before he started or he has changed so many tires he had a new guy do it, and the new guy messed up...This is a good reason to do them on your own,,I know you are but for most guys in the motorcycle World it's a wake up call...Always check that after you pay someone to change them..And hope they tightened all the bolts and nuts....

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Well... it does point backward (at the bottom of the tire) and forward when it's at the top. :)

The real kicker is that it'll point UP when at the rear of the tire.

... or someone mounted it wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The only time an arrow should be reversed is when you install a rear tire upon a front rim. Not only does the tread get reversed but the ply's inside the tire too. They are laid in the tire for maximum strength for braking in a front tire and maximum acceleration in a rear tire.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Changing tires on my 1500 noticed that the e3s I am taking off have the forward arrow pointing backward. What would be the reason to mount the tires that way?
So, how many miles did you get out of those tires, that were put on backwards?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the bike with 45k, I have only put 200 on the bike, tires have good tread, but they are old.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
If the arrow is at the bottom of the tire, pointing to the rear, (backwards) then it is mounted correctly. The arrow points to the correct rotation of the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Could be the tire was mounted correct rotation at first, then as it wore off tread after many miles of riding it was turned around opposite to regain the lost tread when riding more miles.
This way the tire never really wears out. What you lose in one direction you gain back in the other direction.

Or more likely maybe what the others have said LOL

·
Honda Guru
2,074 Posts
Redeye's right on…. forget about the 'top' or the 'bottom' business. The arrow is supposed to point 'in the direction of rotation'. It is properly mounted.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Could be the tire was mounted correct rotation at first, then as it wore off tread after many miles of riding it was turned around opposite to regain the lost tread when riding more miles.
This way the tire never really wears out. What you lose in one direction you gain back in the other direction...
...reminds me of this free energy machine:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.