Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

this winter i am going to change the air filter to a K/N. Was wondering about these new e3 spark plugs that they are on the speed channel. Does anybody know about these plugs? I ride a 1988 1500-6

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

I would seriously rethink changing to a K/N air filter.

It gets that "extra flow" because of poorer filtration.

I know nothing of the e3 spark plugs, but I would consider them no better than any of the name brands available.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I would seriously rethink changing to a K/N air filter.

It gets that "extra flow" because of poorer filtration.

I know nothing of the e3 spark plugs, but I would consider them no better than any of the name brands available.
what would be a good air filter then, i have had a k and n in my van and seems to be ok

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

They had them on power block a while back. I don't remember which show, but they did a dyno run and pipe sniffer with standard plugs and then e3diamond fires. They actually did produce a little more horsepower, I don't remember how much, but it was pretty low, but it actually did show a decent improvement in emissions. I put them in a VW Rabbit and it actually improved my numbers when I went for smog, but it also brought my NOX numbers up a little. I got rid of the Rabbit, and I haven't put them in my suburban, so I can't speak for logevity, but given the minimal horse power gains I'm not sure you'd see much benifit on a bike, but you might.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

I personally would just go with the oem unit. They don't need changed often enough to worry about the price. But, any good name brand paper unit will be better than a K/N oil washable filter.

I removed a K/N from my '94SE and threw it in the trash. You have to consider that when the K/N is filtering the best, is when it is almost stopped up.

There are any number of independent tests made with scientific measurements showing that the K/N filters come in dead last for "filtering efficiency". That means they allow more dirt past the filter element than any paper filter.

Here is one test I have bookmarked:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

another:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

and here is a thread in our forum on the subject. Note that some think you might as well leave the filter off the carbs as to use a K/N and think you are treating your engine well.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=56707&forum_id=1&jump_to=567956#p567956

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I personally would just go with the oem unit. They don't need changed often enough to worry about the price. But, any good name brand paper unit will be better than a K/N oil washable filter.

I removed a K/N from my '94SE and threw it in the trash. You have to consider that when the K/N is filtering the best, is when it is almost stopped up.

There are any number of independent tests made with scientific measurements showing that the K/N filters come in dead last for "filtering efficiency". That means they allow more dirt past the filter element than any paper filter.

Here is one test I have bookmarked:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

another:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

and here is a thread in our forum on the subject. Note that some think you might as well leave the filter off the carbs as to use a K/N and think you are treating your engine well.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=56707&forum_id=1&jump_to=567956#p567956
thanks for the info. nix on the air filter change, I will stay with the oem. Still wanting any info on the spark plugs though.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

My 88 likes the NGK iridium. Gas mileage was all over the place a lot before with plain NGK,Nippondenso,Autolite, but now is more consistent.
Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
My 88 likes the NGK iridium. Gas mileage was all over the place a lot before with plain NGK,Nippondenso,Autolite, but now is more consistent.
Just my 2c.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Well for what it's worth, I do run E3's in my 81GL verses NGK OEM's. I ran them all summer and personally I preferthem because,........ Oem's gave me hard starting after sitting for a while, and seemed to carbon up more. Now with that said, I am running a carb conversion if that makes any difference and running the E3's seems to fire better without any hesitation like before. I do believe it has given me a little better MPG. I haven't run NGK's Iridiumn to compare butE3's are not cheap. But Like I said before Overall, I do like them best!!:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If your plugs are showing carbon it's not being caused by the sparkplugs. You most likely have a carb(s) running overly rich.

I agree with John, K&N filters don't improve the bike's performance. I've taken K&N filters out of my 1500 and 1800 soon after I bought them and replaced them with OEM filters. K&N aren't as good doing the prime job of filtering, that of stopping little particles of dirt going down my 'Wing's throat. Since most people clean and re-oil the K&N filter periodically it's impossible for the filter not to degrade with time. Not the same with the paper element filter, just toss it and replace for 100% function.

Man, I wonder how many different snake oil spark plugsI've seencome and go in the past 50 years. Flush electrode sparkplugs, "Fire Injector" sparkplugs, three electrode and four electrode sparkplugs, split electrode plugs. After all that the vehicle manufacturers are still putting the old standard plugs in their new cars and bikes. They don't do that because they are cheap, they do it because the snake oil plugs don't provide any advantages. No manufacturer would pass up something that simple if they though it would improve their product's performance, they are in the business of maximizing performance and fuel economy. They have already engineered as much practical hp and economy they can get out ofa given model, they have to or the competition would cream them.

Save your money, buy more gas to ride with.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

Just saying:
My 2002 Civic came with NGK double platinum and last a lot longer than conventional plugs without misfiring. Supposed to last 100k... i thought 80k and many years was long enough so i replaced mine with something similar.. Denso TT(platinum)only $1.99 on sale.
Other car manufactures advertise 100k until a tuneup is needed. I was told they have double platinum plugs in those cars also.
I agree that SOME of those fancy plugs don't work very well depending on what engine you put them in. I never had any luck with the "surface gap" ones that were supposed to work great in outboard 2cycle engines.
Split fires work great in some things and others you can't tell any difference. 87 Polaris ATV 2cycle loved them and so did my 85 Dodge Colt. The Colt didn't have much power so any improvement was noticeable.
Helped top speed on both.. 57mph on the Polaris with regular plug and 60mph+(too fast anyhow for the tires and i let off the throttle) with split. The COLT was 90mph with regular plug and 97mph(too fast for that small car) with aplit. They both had better throttle response right off idle also. Not as much noticeable difference on V-6's.
Testing iridiums now and will see how long they last for the money. Kawasaki 650 ATV starts better and my 88 Wing likes them. They work fine in the 78-750 but haven't been able to tell if anything has improved. It just hums along. I can actually hear it running. lol
I have tried different Bosch's. 35k miles on the regular single platinum. The center electrode is just too fine and even though it is platinum , it wears too fast. Not really an expensive plug anyhow if on sale. The Bosch+2 aren't any better. 2 side electrodes didn't really help the thin center electrode that wears too fast.
Champions for the lawnmower. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.