Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Something I have not done before is wear ear plugs when riding. Now that I'm getting to the point where I can't hear, see or remember $h!#, I think I might start trying to preserve what I have left.

Now what was I going to... Oh yeah!

Do you wear ear plugs when you ride? If so, what kind?

JB

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i wear ear plugs when i ride my dads harley..... go figure
he doesnt have a ferring or windshild on it so by the time you ride 55mph for an hour or so you cant even hear anything i just put on the cheap squishy ones but when im on my HONDA which is quiet and has a ferring to block the wind in my ears i dont wear any

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

Never wore them.:action:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I always wear them if I intend on highway speeds. In town errands not so much, but highway, always. Plugs simply make the ride more comfortable for me.

I wear a soft plug, disposable. I use them a few times and then toss them. Heros is a good brand but I'll use a no-name plug in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

I wear ear plugs if I'm going to be reaching highway speeds (45 mph+) for any extended period, especially for on the highway.

I use plastic plugs and wash them regularly.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

When I was younger and riding sport bikes with little or no wind protection, I would wear soft earplugs sometimes. However, once I got a quality full-faced helmet I no longer found the need.

I have never worn ear plugs riding a Goldwing (specifically one with a fairing and windshield). Probably never will for a number of reasons. (BTW, I always wear a full-faced helmet. That makes a big difference regarding this entire issue.)

First, I want to use my intercom system for conversing with my co-rider for a number of reasons, including the safety of another pair of eyes watching the road for me.

Second, I can also hear my portable GPS voice prompt through the intercom system as well.

Third, I WANT to hear all of the associated sounds of the road for possible indications of an upcoming traffic hazard or other hazards of any kind.

Fourth, when doing scenic touring I WANT to hear all the sounds of the surrounding enviroment. That's half the fun of the ride.

So, no ear plugs for me...

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

When I wear a helmet, no. Otherwise, only if I'm on the highway at speeds 55 MPH+ for a long period of time.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I wear a half helmet,so I wear soft ear plugs all the time,and its not for the noise, its for the wind.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Only when following Harleys (in a toy run, parade, etc)or riding anything other than a GW. Don't need them on the 1500 or 1800 GW, too quiet as it is.:)

Gene:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Nope, I have never worn them. I like to hear the sounds around me. Plus use the intercom and/or listen to road music. Have to have some good road music going.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

No problem hearing the radio or any other sounds with ear plugs and I think there are alot of very loud metric bikes not just Harleys!!!

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Tire plugs work just don't add the glue..

Oh sorry wrong forum!!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Nope, I have never worn them. I like to hear the sounds around me. Plus use the intercom and/or listen to road music. Have to have some good road music going.
I'm with DrifterTex here.

and here too...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Like posted above...on a stock Goldwing....no ear plugs needed!
I don't wear them at all. My half-helmet does a decent job of muffling wind noise in the warm months and in the cold temps, I wear a full face helmet.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

WakeAir wrote:
Wingle wrote:
Tire plugs work just don't add the glue..
Actually the glue makes a better seal, plus you'll notice how quiet the wife gets too. :cheeky1:
Yes. Especially if you use it as lip gloss for her. Something for both of you. Nice surprise.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

Long hauls on the Interstate, yes. Putzing around on country roads, no.

I wear a 3/4 helmet and when I get up around 70MPH the wind noise is noticeable. It's just more relaxing for me to not have that in my ear for two hours straight.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I have partial hearing loss so I want to protect what I have. If I am going to be on the bike for more than a quick ride to town, then I have the plugs in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.