Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Earles forks: What are they? Can they be put on a Goldwing? If so, what would the cost be?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Earles forks are a BMW invention. They were invented in the late50's and are often fitted to BMWs with sidecars. I don't know if they can be fitted to Goldwings but I can ask some of my BMW mechanic acquaintances before the weekend, unless you dig up some the info beforehand.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Those Earles were designed by BMspecifically for sidecar setups and were supposed to be very strong while giving a soft ride (just what you need at the front of a rig as it helps minimize the horrible wobbling bars effect).

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I've seen a fair lot of Goldwing outfits, but never any with Earles forks. Seems to be well suited tfor BM's as they are popular.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

dery wrote:
Earles forks: What are they? Can they be put on a Goldwing? If so, what would the cost be?
I asked a BMW owner about this. Hes well up on the tech side as he repairs them etc. He says no, can't be done.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
I asked a BMW owner about this. Hes well up on the tech side as he repairs them etc. He says no, can't be done.
that is not the full picture Eamonn. The Earles front endsI have seen on a GL1500 have a 38mm stem diameter. I think the GL1500 has a 42mm diameter and the one I seen an adapter had made to make the steering tube smaller in the diameter to the Earles accept. This is I believe a common way to adapt the Earles to other machines.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

check out the united sidecar association site. there are leading link earles (front end will rise not dive when braking)... and a "conversion kit" from eml, but it is for sidecar bikes only and very pricey.... the leading link earles I believe are in the $2,000 range

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
check out the united sidecar association site. there are leading link earles (front end will rise not dive when braking)... and a "conversion kit" from eml, but it is for sidecar bikes only and very pricey.... the leading link earles I believe are in the $2,000 range
...and used ones don't crop up too often either.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Good afternoon Gentlemen. My husband owns a 1989 Goldwing 1500 Interstate and when he bought it, it had a 1991 EML GT3 Sidecar attached. It has Earles Forks on the front to help with the sidecar handling. He wants to take it back to a two wheeler and was trying to figure out whether he would have to replace the Earles forks with standard Goldwing forks or if he could leave the Earles on? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

OK, I can field this inquiry.
Have '95 SE sidecar rig with UNIT FORKS Leading Link front end[made by company below]. Had it on9+ years,from when I bought/installednew hack.T'ismy 4th sidecar rig, in 40+years driving hacks; 2w/ leading link forks &2w/o [BMW, Moto Guzzi, 2 Wings]. Would NEVER go back to standard front end, as L.L. forks steer like power steering, do NOT dive in hard braking; make handling a heavy sidecar rig a pleasure.
Now, UNIT SIDECARS is in U.K. They filed bankruptcy about 2 years ago; were bought out by another British company.[ http://www.unitsidecars.co.uk ]. If you go to web site: http://www.sidecar.com [United Sidecar Association, the National Sidecar Group]and check out their Forum, you can ask questions and find out all about L.L. front ends. There are other brands out there, tooand USCA siteis the place to learn.
F.Y.I: A moto-cross ridernamed Earls in England, inventedfirst leading link setup for off-roading thatis known of. That's where the other name came from.AND, you would not be able to drive a SOLO motorcycle safely with L.L. forks on, unless they were specifically adjusted to do so[like my1968 & 1969 BMWs were].
TTFN and RIDE SAFE.....papasmurf

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I rode a 1958 BMW R50 with Earle's forks solo for some 20,000 miles. I made the foolish mistake of trading it in on a new car.

There are two positions for the leading link on the fork. One is for side car use the other for solo use. Those that know will tell you not to ride solo in the side car position and vise versa.

That R50 was a wonderful machine but being only 500cc it was rather weak two up. Smooth, quiet and it would start by pushing the kick starter with your hand. I killed a partridge and a sparrow with it. Actually the passenger's knee took out the partridge. Ouch!

Lyle

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

St Feather wrote:
Good afternoon Gentlemen. My husband owns a 1989 Goldwing 1500 Interstate and when he bought it, it had a 1991 EML GT3 Sidecar attached. It has Earles Forks on the front to help with the sidecar handling. He wants to take it back to a two wheeler and was trying to figure out whether he would have to replace the Earles forks with standard Goldwing forks or if he could leave the Earles on? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
You'll need a complete standard 1500 fork setup to go back on the bike. Selling the sidecar complete with all it's mounting hardware will more than pay for a new setup for the front end. Once you get the swap done then you can sell the Earles Fork front end for a good price.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

It CAN be done. My husband has a 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500 with Earles Forks and we just removed the 1991 EML GT3 sidecar. The forks are for sale as is the sidecar. I would appreciate any idea of a fair price for the forks. I have seen everything from $250 to $1000.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

The bike is at a friend's shop right now and has had the sidecar removed. Still working on getting the mounting hardware removed, then going to get it all prettied up. Then I have to figure a fair price for the 91 EML GT3. He's eager to go back to two wheels.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

That sure is a beautiful Bike. The sidecar is already off and when I get it cleaned up from sitting over the winter, it will be for sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.