Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at an early (88 or 89) 1500 at a dealer in Indiana. It was just traded in and they could not tell me the exact year and I don't know enough about the 1500's to wager a guess. My question is about what i think is an oil leak. This bike was not a garage kept baby all its life by a real bike lover, but it is not a junky Piece of Crap either. The bike had been cleaned up for display, but under the foot pegs, at least on the drivers side, there is a dark film that when I wipe my finger over it , it comes off a dark dirty black, much like I usually find on the engine of a late 70's chevy truck...I have had a few of those. what are some possible causes of this oil? best case and worst case senarios welcome. I have looked through the tech files and read the history page and really appreciate all the info available. Looking forward to some ideas on diagnosing this problem. there are 151K miles on this Wing. it does have reverse on it. It was traded in because last owner decided it was too big..so no idea how many owners or any other history at this time. Thanks in advance. Deputyb.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,743 Posts
imported post

The driver's side?
If you mean the left side, there may be a leaking shift shaft seal, but I think we'll need more info.
Why don't you ask the shop that's selling it what it is, and if they will fix it before the sale?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yep, the left side. I am up too early today. The bike is priced very reasonable, under 3K and they won't touch it for that price. Iwill ask, but the salesman did not impress me as being real customer oriented. It is not a Honda Dealer.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If it is not a big drip, I would not be overly concerned about it. There are more important things to look for. How does the bike run and ride. Does it run and idle smooth, does it accelerate smoothly, does it shift properly, and does it make any unusual noises? Does it overheat? Does it start easily? Does the oil look black, or is it obviously new? Does it have a trailer hitch on it (a sure sign it has more wear than the mileage would otherwise indicate) What is it's overall cosmetic condition? You said it is not perfect, but not trashed either, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a bike with that many miles at that price from a dealer.

I have a 1200, and from what I have read on here, the 1500 actually seems to be easier to work on in a lot of ways than a 1200, though it sure doesn't look that way.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys!. I plan to do a lot more checking on the bike (like Jerry suggested) . I just wanted to be sure that leakage was not a deal killer. I would expect it on a bike with those miles/years but have not been around bikes that much. There is a big bike race in Indy and the dealer had a lot of employees there so I have not been able to find out a whole lot on the background or whatever else they may know. Yes it does have a trailer hitch on it. Jerry, I have read that about the 1500's as well. I too have a 1200 and just 'love' (insert sarcasm here) to work on it.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Its possible to be the shift shaft seal .If the oil is on the lower body panel covering the exhaust headers , I would expect the valve cover gasket and end cap are old/hard and leaking . My 94 has this type leak and the shift seal was replaced in my case.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

peice o'cake....butttt.....it was traded in...why??...find out...to upgrade?....or a shifting or carb problem??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.