Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, the story starts like this I was headed home from visiting a buddy up in Allentown PA. I was headed South East going about 60mph out of Culpeper VA just enjoying the ride when it felt almost like the back tire had lost a lot of pressure, almost like the wobble on steroids if you will. It lasted for about 4 to 5 seconds which was long enough for me to start slowing down. I pull off to the side of the road and climb off of the bike to check the tires. Nope, still inflated to proper pressure. That got me scratching my head and after a while of looking around I decided to climb on and ride the rest of the way home since it was only 30 minutes away. I start the bike up and the radio comes on saying that we just experienced a 5.9 magnitude earthquake :shock:. I know, I know, it's a small one as the Californian's would say but it was my first let alone my first going down the road at 60 on a bike. People were saying that it lasted about 25-40 seconds but to me it was only about 5 seconds. My house is actually about 10 miles away from the epicenter of the quake too (thankfully no damage other than a few things falling off of the walls). So my question is what would you do if this happened to you? If you have been in a quake and on a bike, what did you do?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
So my question is what would you do if this happened to you? If you have been in a quake and on a bike, what did you do?
Hold on ? Fortunately I haven't had this experience .

From your description though I might go check my pants .:ROFL:

Glad you were safe thru it all .

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

I understand the earth shaking was a result of somebody's poll rating hit rock bottom and the country shifted right.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
I understand the earth shaking was a result of somebody's poll rating hit rock bottom and the country shifted right.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
It happened right along the Bush's Fault line :readit:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I saw where it was caused by our country's founding fathers turning over in their graves.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:ROFL: I think the suspension on the bike absorbed most of it, but it was an interesting feeling. The press asked Obama about the fault line where it happened and he said "It wasn't my fault, it must have been Bush's" :ROFL: that's funny.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

You were probably about right with the time of the shake. People always overestimate it. Time just slows down during these things.

I haven't been on the road when a decent sized one hit. We had a 3.1 quake about 3 miles from me a couple of months ago. It lasted about 1/10 of a second. We felt a tiny little bump. It wasn't even enough to move the window blinds.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Glad you came out of everything OK Adam!!

We did not feel anything on the Outer Banks, NC

We do have to leave tommorw though, under mandatory evacuation.

We were hoping to stay until Friday AM, but oh well.:(

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

That's kinda what I was thinking. We had 2 more "aftershocks" of about 4.3 and they only lasted 2-3 seconds each. My wife and kids were freaked out by them, my reaction was "well, there's nothing we can really do about it except clean up afterwords.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

I was sitting here in my easy chair with the dog, scared the poop out of us. had the same problems though, pics off the wall, luckily, no cracks in the walls, but, having a well for water, I wonder if it might change anything

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

luddy wrote:
but, having a well for water, I wonder if it might change anything
You now have 007 water, Its shaken not stirred!;)

man thats bad :cheesygrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.