Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Red and I have been the grateful guests of Mr. and Mrs. Dubswing (Bernie and Lois) for several days now. Southern Hospitality is not just a concept tothese two, it's a reality. Never have we been treated better..... our thanks to them.

Bernie has graciously led us on several local rides, his favorites, while we wait for the car transfer. And the only question I have about East Tennessee is: why did Davy Crockett ever leave?

The roads here are the match of any of the world, any...... and we've been on some. Curvy, smooth, filled with scenery and interesting scenes... I can see why he loves it here. The Knoxville area is beautiful. I wanted to post some pics about our stay here, but I forgot my camera cord and have to wait until we burn a disc at Wallies, which we will do shortly. But I do want to acknowledge Bernie and Lois as being among the best hosts in the entire universe! We've had a great time..... will be back with some photos in an hour or so.....

After being here on the edge of Appalachia, I have to wonder: why does the spiritual home of American Motorcycling seem to be in Sturgis, South Dakota? I think it should be here, near and on the Blue Ridge, in Appalachia, which I think has the best riding roads of all America. Just my non-humble opinion, of course!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
The roads here are the match of any of the world, any......
After being here on the edge of Appalachia, I have to wonder: why does the spiritual home of American Motorcycling seem to be in Sturgis, South Dakota? I think it should be here, near and on the Blue Ridge, in Appalachia, which I think has the best riding roads of all America. Just my non-humble opinion, of course!
I'm thinkin' this has the potential of paralleling an "oil" thread!!! :shock: :cooldevil:For example, while I have always preferred the Rockies, my best ridin' buddy always liked the Great Smokies & all...I cannot find a single complaint about the Black Hills & the Badlands...except maybe they could be BIGGER!!! Ever rode the Needles Hwy?? Mysterious, at least. Lots to LOVE here in the USA!! :clapper:

I even love Nebraska...once I get off good ole I80...;)(and they have Rest Areas on I80 that are 2nd to NONE, anywhere!!)

("If you can't be with the one you love, Honey"...you know the rest) Happy Trails, CJ & Red...:band:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

The black hills have some nice roads. Spend a little time there and you can ride nearly all of them (however, i don't like the gravel ones). I will never have enough time to ride the great roads in Eastern TN and NC. If i did then parts of SC and WV would be next. Just got back from there. Went this year and last. Will go back next. Rich

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Yea, I've spent time in Knoxville and Maryville. My brother lived there. Unfortunately the last time I was there was last summer at my brothers funeral.

We did take a drive up to Cades Cove and ran around the area. I notice their deer are the size of little puppies but maybe they have just inbred a lot in that particular area. I love curvy smooth roads and the Area East of Knoxville is fantastic. How could there be a better riding area?

Weirdly enough though, after a while I get sick of curvy roads with too many trees on each side and long for straighter flatter highways with a log view ahead. It's most likely because that is what I grew up with. After a trip around the tea kettle last fall through Montana, Idaho, Washington, and northern Nevada, I told my son I did not want anything else to do with curvy mountain roads and refused another ride up 6 mile canyon road. I took the interstate instead. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

CJ,

Did you guys go to the Bel-Air Grill? They have great burgers and excellent milkshakes (made with some half and half), shakes may be a little pricey, but they are good!!

I spent a lot of time flight testing our terrain flight radar system back in the mid-90s and we lived by the airport for months at a time. I never had a Wing there, but those back roads up to Gatlinburg are a lot of fun.

Glad you and Red made it safe and sound.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Great to hear from you, sure sounds like your having a blast. You will be writing about your new adventures for months, good for us. I have not road where you are now except by cage many many moons ago. But the Black Hills are absolutely beautiful and have a not of spiritual history as well as good oh American history. God, isn't our country wonderful.:clapper:

Keep that lady of yours safe and sound, as I have no doubt you will which means you will be riding safe as well. :action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

Spider

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Whoa! Didn't mean to be contentious! Red and I ride the Black Hills, including the Needles Hwy, nearly every year, and we also ride the Rockies.....

but, I have to say, I've seen more motorcycles down here than anywhere else.

Gonna try and post a pic or two, but, I'm working off Bernie's machine and I don't know if I can or not! Here goes.......

Red getting wet in Idaho......

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000159.jpg

Camping in Kearney, Nebraska, just before meeting MDKramer and Gina....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000168.jpg

Arrival at Dubswing's house, (Dubswing right), after surviving the Thunderstorm Nightmare.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000178.jpg

Dubswing, CJ, (Red the photographer) taking an "atmosphere break" on one of Bernie's local favorite roads.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000208.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

CJ, I'm looking forward sooo much to riding there. :clapper:In fact I have attentively been making plans for 2010 where you are now. I'm originally from North Dakota, so I'm partial. Oh, that picture of Red in the rain, hmmmmmm, I know I'm not blind too. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I see them now. Great pics. Real down to earth.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

hey Jack & Red,

We are in sevierville and would be glad to see you and can either show you or tell you some really great rides here.,

Or as always just glad to see any members, if interested , let us know, we'll pm the number

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Good for you both,,,,,,,,, looks/sounds like your making the best of it. Nice pics too,,,, looks like you found a little "hole in the wall" joint for lunch. Those are the best;)

What is your planned route from there? Are you heading back west, or are you going to wonder around aimlessly?? :cool::action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you guys are having a great time! now, where's that phone call? You guys gonna make it down here on the BRP?

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

cuz, nice pics. looks like the ride through the worst storms that part of the country has seen in a long time, was worth it! and you were following it to a TEE. im glad you are keeping us all informed and letting us all "ride" along with you through your words and pics. :clapper:here i am again hollerin atcha! let us know where your travels take you from dubswings house, so we can keep you in our hearts!
hey the weather channel is calling for a lot less rain on your trip back, so enjoy this one man!:waving::waving::waving: im wavin atcha as you go by! cya man. :18yellow::18yellow::18yellow:keep on rick

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

It's great to see the two of you out having fun again..

Ride safe and enjoy the time together.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

CJ and Red are leaving for the BRP this morning and I'm back at work wishing I could ride with them. They are planning on getting to South Carolina. Sorry I didn't get them to Cades Cove; weather and their business with the car kept us from seeing everything I wanted to show them. Just not enough time to do it all. Lois and I have had a wonderful time with CJ and Red. They make a great riding team and we couldn't have asked for better people to share our time with! They should have a great day to ride today. They will go thru Gatlinburg and hit the BRP in Cherokee.

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

As I said before, thanks all.... and let me give Dubswing and his wife further accolades:

Dubswing went unselfishly out of his way to house us, entertain us, arrange for the perfect car purchase for my cherished Red, and all in all showed us the greatest hospitality. Dub is a skilled rider, a rider coach, and he knows these beautiful roads like the back of his hand. Thank you, Dubswing (and Lois)!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

CJ is too kind. He knows that I am a harda-- with a cold-cold heart!:dude:

This forum has some great people on it and it helps bring them together with others. What a wonderful way for folks to get to know each other. Thanks to Steve Saunders and all who contribute to this great forum!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

and life is good---enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Whoa! Didn't mean to be contentious! Red and I ride the Black Hills, including the Needles Hwy, nearly every year, and we also ride the Rockies.....

but, I have to say, I've seen more motorcycles down here than anywhere else.

Gonna try and post a pic or two, but, I'm working off Bernie's machine and I don't know if I can or not! Here goes.......

Red getting wet in Idaho......

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000159.jpg

Camping in Kearney, Nebraska, just before meeting MDKramer and Gina....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000168.jpg

Arrival at Dubswing's house, (Dubswing right), after surviving the Thunderstorm Nightmare.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000178.jpg

Dubswing, CJ, (Red the photographer) taking an "atmosphere break" on one of Bernie's local favorite roads.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/P1000208.jpg
Betcha the AIR in the last photo is free.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.