Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read a discussion here not long ago about removing frozen brake caliper pistons.

I've had to do a lot over the years but a pair of frozen calipers I recently got off ebay were not at all amenable to my usual ways.

In the past I have always managed to remove them with compressed air, while they were wrapped in a large towel to protect me.

I read here about using a grease gun + zerk.

They came out so easily with hardly any physical effort on my part.

I took a 10mm diam bolt with a 1.25mm thread pitch & cut the bolt to 10mm length. I then drilled through it lengthwise a hole with a #3 wire gauge drill & tapped the hole at the head end with a 1/4" x 28 tap. Fitted a grease zerk, screwed bolt into caliper & pumped away. The frozen piston slowly came out. No damage to it or the caliper bore.

A big thank youto whoever suggested that.:clapper::clapper:

Now I have to take apart a frozen master cylinder....any tips?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Why not get a zerk fitting to fit in the hole for the bleeder valve and cap the hose line fitting? Would seem easier to do to me. Good idea which ever way you go with it, I like it!!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I used what I had in my garage. Didn't have a zerk to fit the bleeder thread. Too cold & snowy here to go searching auto parts stores.
Took about 15 mins to make the piece.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

The way I got my frozen pistons out was: With the caliper still connected, I put a c-clamp on one piston to hold it in and used the master cly.to push one piston almost all the way out. I took the c-clamp off and put it on the other piston to hold it in place, added more fluid and pushed the other piston out. Then the other one came out with a little wiggling

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
The way I got my frozen pistons out was: With the caliper still connected, I put a c-clamp on one piston to hold it in and used the master cly.to push one piston almost all the way out. I took the c-clamp off and put it on the other piston to hold it in place, added more fluid and pushed the other piston out. Then the other one came out with a little wiggling
You can always take a couple of brake pads and stick it in the caliper, then pump up the brakes. Remove a pad and repeat. Make the spacer thinner and thinner that way the pistons come out equally. But yes, much easier to remove the pistons while they are in the bike and full of fluid. Grease works, but has to be much harder to clean up afterwards.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
Excellent idea. I'll either find a zerk to fit or fab one like you did. It's rear caliper time boys and girls!
Jim(inSC)
Not to hijack the thread but, Jim, did you get your carb gauge set yet and get your carbs synced?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Yeah that's a good tip. I like to put them in the oven at about 250 deg F if they are really stuck and then they usually come out with compressed air. Mind you I don't reuse the piston seal after that!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

With the caliper off the bike I installed the old pads, then I placed an air gun with the rubber tip against the nipple opening (nipple removed) and gave it a shot of air. Both pistons come out against the pads just fine.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Use 2 paint sticks when blowing them out by air.

The are just the right thickness - the cups come out but not OUT...!

Watch where you put your fingers...pinching hurts...

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
imported post

Wingsconsin wrote:
Regards to you're avatar. . . .
any chance a distant relative?

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

oldgoat wrote:
I read a discussion here not long ago about removing frozen brake caliper pistons.
I read here about using a grease gun + zerk.
They came out so easily with hardly any physical effort on my part.
A big thank youto whoever suggested that.:clapper::clapper:
You're welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did it exactly like "oldgoat" did when using air failed to budge anything. I also saved my "new tool" when the job was done. All I need now is the torque specifications for the banjo bolt & the other two bolts. Would anyone be kind enough to share that info with me? I'LL ADMIT - SINCE I INTEND TO SELL THE BIKE ANYWAY, I AM TOO CHEAP TO GO OUT & BUY A MANUAL! Any & all help will be much appreciated. THANKS!.......FredT

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Maybe I just haven't had a super stuck piston yet but so far just leaving the fluid in the system and pressing on the lever has got them out very easy. And its nice because you can see right away if a piston was hanging up. I know right then which piston had crud behind its seal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.