Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last week my old Toyota Corolla started running rough, it turned out to be a bad plug lead. But for a few days I used Easy-Start in the mornings. That blew the head gasket, eat a big chunk out of it. One of the local Toyota mechanics told me they aren't allowed use Easy-Start because it can even burn holes in pistons.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

It has been my experience that if damage happens, way too much has been squirted in there. The stuff I use contains ether, and all that is required is just a little "poof", with no puddling of liquid. On engines with the rope pull starters, I couldn't imagine ever being without my can of starting fluid. I'll never be without it. It is also a great diagnostic tool, for when yer not sure if the problem is fuel or ignition... :waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Yeah starting fluids can be very very bad if not used right....We had this one Perkins diesel engine in a lift truck, aka forklift, it needed a little shot to get it to crank on cold days..OK this new kid, Victor, was a helper, went to the docks with one of our fuel guys, Lester, fill the lifts with fuel, check all fluids, and crank them....Well sir this young man knew that one lift needed a shot of ether, he gives it a huge shot, I mean Hey if a little does good a lot is going to be fantastic!!!! Right????.....Needless to say he gives it a shot, puts the seat down, gets on it and hits the starter....What happened next would have took a slow motion camera to have caught every thing that happened...That engine exploded!!!!...The head strips the bolts off, the head hits the seat, now that head, seat, and Victor, are going up, but wait....There's a headache rack on it...So all three arrive at the headache reach in order, Victor, the seat, and the head...Now there is one more thing in play....A HUGE fireball.....That lift truck had been working a "cotton ship" thousands of bails of cotton, loaded on that ship the day before....So its covered in cotton lint!!!! It catches fire....

As we all know "What goes up....MUST come Down!!!!!!....In order they come down the head, the seat, and Victor into that ball of fire!!!!!....Lester wasn't too far away, him and two longshoremen grabbed the fire extinguishers off of the fuel truck. which is only a few feet away from that ball of fire!!!!...150 gallons of diesel and 150 gallons of gasoline, plus ten 50 lb propane bottles, on that fuel truck!!!!!:shock::shock::shock::shock:..They get the fire out, Victor kinda jumps, falls off that lift truck....Victor looks like a snowman!!!!!...Ambulance called....

Final results????...It was freezing cold, Victor had on a set of Carhartts, coat and pants, his hard hat, with a foul weather "snoopy" type liner, his mono goggles, gloves, with a scarf wrapped around his face....Victor was taken to the hospital, had a minor concussion, but his pride and joy was GONE!!!!!...His scarf had slipped down just enough to expose his mustache he had been growing for 5 years, of course you had to look close to see it before...OH and his nose did look like Rudolph's for a few days...:ROFL:...

Yeah it was funny afterwards, all you had to do to get his attention after that was to spray a little ether in the air near him....That lift truck???? Well we had to rebuild it, but that was another funny, Victor wouldn't get near that lift truck.....:ROFL::ROFL:...Ether can be and is very very dangerous...It can cause more damage than if you were to just go on and rebuild that engine or buy a newer engine...

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think you hit the nail on the head Mike. The tendency is to get carried away and use half the can in one go. That's what I did.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

It's all in how much you spray in the intake...a tiny, little...pfft is all it takes....like 1/3 of a sec....used it alot and never hurt anything...

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

slickster wrote:
It's all in how much you spray in the intake...a tiny, little...pfft is all it takes....like 1/3 of a sec....used it alot and never hurt anything...
I suspect that is supposed to tanslate in to you used it OFTEN and never hurt anything.

We used to use ether often to start the tractors, especially the diesels on a cold morning. It certainly does not take much to do the job.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
It has been my experience that if damage happens, way too much has been squirted in there. The stuff I use contains ether, and all that is required is just a little "poof", with no puddling of liquid. On engines with the rope pull starters, I couldn't imagine ever being without my can of starting fluid. I'll never be without it. It is also a great diagnostic tool, for when yer not sure if the problem is fuel or ignition... :waving:
Totally agree. Just a whisper of spray will do it.

I keep a can in the saddlebag along with a spark plug as diagnostic tools.:thumbsup:

JD

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

For those of you with a diesel , WD-40 will work as a starting spray and its less explosive.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I won't use starting fluid, or ether of any kind. That stuff burns HOT, and can explode under the right conditions. I have heard too many horror stories over the years about the damage it has caused. I tend to use Gumout carb cleaner as a starting fluid, if it won't work, there is something serious wrong with the engine. One of the people who told me not to use it was a small engine mechanic. He's also the one who showed me how to lock up an engine by removing a spark plug, putting the piston at BDC, and stuffing the cylinder full of nylon rope. When the piston gets close to TDC, it compresses the rope, locking it solid. When you are done with whatever it was that you were doing, just pull out the rope.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

It works well for seating large, stubborn tires, too...
This guy, I would give him and A-... Safe, careful, small amounts...

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/ABuvbUIzj2U&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I would never ever use any type of quick/easy start on any gas engine that I own or work on.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

IRAQI RAM wrote:
Chicago winters. Diesel engines. Block heaters don't cut the mustard. But starting fluid does.
Diesel Yes!Even then you got to be very sparing with it.Years ago I worked for a farmequipment dealer and have built quite a few tractor motors.You'd get them apart and the rings would be in 1/4 inch long pieces.The farmer would swear he only gave it a wiff once in a while.The sh*t will destroy a gas engine real fast.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I had an old International TransStar II...

Would not start without ether. I'd load it up at the filter.

That being said, a small gas engine like a motorcycle needs only a couple small shots like mentioned. Any more than that and bad things can happen like a backfire that can blow all sorts of things if too much is sprayed. I routinely usae the stuff on bikes that have sat for a while, spraying a couple short shots past the filter to get it to pop off...

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I learned my lesson on using starting fluid by watching a friend of mine trying to start his 67 Camaro at Orange County Drag Strip.

His 396 would not start and he used a shot of ether, nothing. Tried a longer shot and still nothing. He sprayed for about 2-3 seconds while turning the engine over and still nothing. He then proceeds to remove the distributor (at the back of the engine) and look down inside the hole to see if the shaft is turning.

While looking down the hole he let the distributor touch the edge of the hole and a 4 foot flame came up out of the distributor hole. He lost the hair on his head except for the very back, his eyebrows and eyelashes and his mustache. The first blast of flame dried out his eyeballs and the paramedics spent 20 minutes washing out his eyes before he could open them again. I wish I had a video of that because it would make a great safety video.

I don't use ether on anything. My diesel truck has block, battery and fuel line heaters. In the worst winter I ever went through I used Cummins recommendation of adding kerosene to prevent the Diesel from jelling up. So far so good....no more flames for me.

Henry

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ohhhhhhhhh good o'l ether now ive blown up some stuff with that god it brings back memories

in the winter time when a semi dosent start ether is the only way to get it to kick over trust me

ive blown up cars, pickups TONS of lawn mowers lol my 1st car was a real hunk of crap literally with out ether the thing would NOT start took everthing the motor had to just go 55mph lol

another choice to start a car or pickup or anything is wd40 it is flamable but not as flammable as ether

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

With the 5.3L Jaguar V-12, you need a can of ether in the trunk. On rare occasion it just won't light without it.

never figured it out. There's a few 80s BMWs that reportedly have the same issue.

I try to use it sparingly, but a few times a year, it's definitely required.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.