Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, im new to ebay, i've lost a couple of items on autions, i've bidded on the last 10 seconds with no luck, i've heard of people using auto bidder tools. is there any tool that you can recommend me to use? im afraid to google and download something with spyware... theres a great deal i found on ebay and i rly need it to repair my bike. thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I have learned a few simple things over the years about bidding on ebay. Never bid early. It just causes the final price to be higher. I use no tools to bid. Like you I wonder whar kind of secret stuff is learking in the program. I come up with the highest price I am willing to pay and post that in the last 5 to 8 seconds. Sometimes Iwin, sometimes I lose. But if I lose, The item went for more than I was willing to spend anyway....

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
imported post

Bidding in the last 6 seconds does it for me, but you have to make sure your computer clock is spot on accurate. I have my bid all ready to go, one press and it's there, and I have the clock up, next to my bid, and I watch the clock wind down like a hawk. With 6 seconds to go, I bang in my bid, and as long as no one else is bidding silly money, I tend to win.

Works for me

Kev

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

As stated above no matter what you use first you must figure out just how much you are willing to pay then be ready in the last few seconds to make that bid. Sometimes you will win sometimes not. But prethink what you are willing to pay and bid that amount not just enough to be high bidder. I have won many times using this method. You will only have time for that one bid so go as high as you are willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I never felt right giving my ID/password to some service.

Use 2 browser tabs/windows and put your bid amount in one of them so it's ready to go with one click.

On the other page sync with analog clock second hand. Reload the page a few times and notice where the second hand is in relation to the end of auction seconds. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.

I've nailed auctions between 1-3 seconds with this method. Of course, you must bid more than anybody else - that's up to your research to know how much to bid.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

All those "last second bidding" ideas work and I've used them myself. Problem I have, is I don't want to sit around waiting for the auctions to end, especially when they end at all kinds of goofy times in the day. I'll definitely give one of those tools a try.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

I'm in the camp of use the bidding service to place my max bid 6 seconds from the end. Then go to bed.

Also as mentioned before here a couple posts back: "Never bid early. It just causes the final price to be higher."

Truer words were never spoken..... It just starts a bidding war.

I prefer to be the single winning bidder on an item somehow overlooked by the rest of the crowd.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AirCutoff wrote:
I never felt right giving my ID/password to some service.
Myibay.com gives you two choices to do your bidding using them.

1. You can use their server (obviously you need to give it your ebay login stuff or it can't bid as you, for you). Free/donation

OR

2. Use the myIbay local client software and you never give out your info because your own machine is doing the bidding, not the myibay servers. $15 one time

Bad part about #2 is that in trade for this comnfort and security, you need to have your machine on when the auction ends and you are responsible for staying synchronized to the ebay time of day clock.

Either way you don't need to stay up / get up at 2:30 am to snipe a bid anymore.
And without sniping you pay too much if you win at all.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I'm in with the "do your research" camp...but you know...FleaBay (eBAY) will do all that for you, too. Like some here, I like to bid late (last hour?)and not provoke a "war". But I place my top bid right away, and eBAY takes care of the rest, automatically keeping you "in" by bid-ups of $1.00 or so, until you have been topped. I have never been locked out of bidding with money left over. If I lose, I have always been out-bid.:(

When I lose, there is the comfort of knowing that someone elsepaid too much (by my standards), based on research & local prices available in my area. Getting caught up in "auction fever" is fiscally dibilitating to an old, fixed-income fart like me! :3sum:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have used auctionsniper, but all of them are the same.

The winner is always the bid increment above number two bidder. Think about that.

Bid the highest that your wallet can stand the pain. If you are the most desperate, you will win with a buck or two over your nuber two rival.

If someone else is more desparate than you, can make them pay more. As number two, you cause them to pay one or two dollars more than your bid. Be careful, you could win so make sure you want it.

Good stuff is never cheap. Prices that stall out toward the end are on marginal value items. Valuble item take off like a rocket on the last day because the serious buyers are waiting to see what happens, and bid the last second. Maybe they already decided 7 days earlier, but they are not going to let you know. On a really good item, watch the item double or triple the last day.

Bid what you can afford.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I use an auction sniper, and I'm really quite happy with it.

But as stated, picking the absolute maximum you're willing to pay for an item and putting it into the sniper is the key.

I win most for less than I wanted, some for what I was willing to pay, and for those I lost, it saved me from getting into a "final hour" bidding war and paying too flippin' much for the item.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

as a word of caution sometimes when everyone waits for the last minute or so the guy selling the item can remove it as he thinks no one is going to bid on it or its going to go for a silly price, i have had this before. as the other say though bidding too early causes the price to go up

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

The only time I had one disappear out from under me, was an item listed with a "Buy it now" tag.

Although, if as a seller, I would be tempted to withdraw an item that appeared to be going way to low in price.

Mostly though, I have given up on ebay, they are too expensive to use as a service. I just use craigslist now, buying or selling. Tends to narrow down your marketing area though.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I use eBay for selling/buying & it's handy.

If I see something I HAVE to have, I just put my max amount into eBay's auto-bidder. It's honest, since I usually win for far below my max bid.

No need to have some service with all my info doing that for me.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Sometimes they yank it out; if they made a mistake.

Usually when I think it will go for a ridiculously low price, a surprise bidder appears.

Good quality items brings out the buyers, if only at the end.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

i lost 4 auctions this weekend :(! it sucks, two speaker grills sets, a set of turn signals for a friend of mine, and a set of saddlebags for a 1200 :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.