Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Maybe it's just my "sick" sense of humor, but I'm finding more and more enjoyment reading some of the listings. There are a lot of people getting into the parts bike business that have a genuine lack of knowlege about what they're listing. I love the listing that says GL1100 CDI box with a buy it now price of $149.00. Well, heck it is a black box with wires comming out of it, it must be a CDI box,but it's a turn signal self-cancel unit. The listing says that it's fully tested and working. :D

Another funny listing is the Ignition switch that fits Goldwings 80 thru 83. I fully appreciate the humor with this one because I have a 83 Aspy that has an ignition switch that's on its way out. That one year (83 Only) switch was not easy to find. In fact, I remember a thread about someone with the same year who was not able to get a switch for his '83, so he sold the bike for a lot less ($1500??) than he paid for it. If you need something, have patience, it will come along on the auction site sooner or later.

I once contacted a seller who was listing the Clarion radio, CB and intercom. He had a great looking control unit pictured. When I asked him about the electronics, he said Huh!! It's all in the picture. When I explained to him that what he had pictured was only the control unit, he realized that he'd sold the electronics with the fairing, not knowing what went along with the fairing.

Do you have any good stories??

Tim Z Toolman

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I bought an '83 Aspencade switch for like $15. The text in the ad stated the switch was from a 1981 GL1100. Common as dirt. But the picture looked like this below. I asked, and he said I would receive the switch that was pictured. Works great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Good stories.

But I for one am tired of getting burned on fleabay. The descriptions seem to be more and more inflated. Or just downright wrong.

I wanted a laptop computer, just a cheap one, because I want to carry it on my motorcycle so it will probably get broken sooner or later. I want to put my Garmin software on it so that when I am with a group, I can plan a route with people able to look at the map. Of course I will do other things with it, but that's why I want it. To install the maps, it needs to have a DVD rom.

So I found one, an IBM A31 1.9mhz 512 meg ram with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. I won it cheap enough that I felt I could afford to risk loss or damage, but it wasn't free. Double the money and I could get a new base model one at Wal-Mart.

The guy charged $30 for shipping, post office priority with a tracking number.

First it was a full week before he even put it in the mail. That really irritated me, because if I am paying for priority, I'd kind of like it within the week.

I finally got it and I realized that it didn't have the DVD rom. Only a CD-rw. I took it to work and had my I.T. guys look it over and they pointed out that it wasn't a 1.9. but only a 1.6ghz.

So I contacted the guy and he said he advertised the wrong computer and he would be glad to give me my money back.

Not good enough. Every time I bid on something I am reminded that my bid is a contract. I am expected to honor my bid. So I expect him to honor what he advertised. We have a contract.

I offered him several comprimises. I found a CD DVD combo drive for that computer for about $40 plus $10 shipping, so I offered to him that I would keep the computer, if he dropped the price $25 for it being the wrong speed and $50 to cover me having to replace the drive.

He wasn't interested in any compromise. He only wanted me to return the computer and he would replace it when he got another one in.

I offered something else so that I wouldn't have to return it, and he wasn't interested in that either.

So finally I returned it.

Then he comes back to me and says he got one in with the right drive, but it was only a 1.6ghz. Oh... so now it's ok to compromise as long as I am the one giving something up. So I said no.

He finallyl got a computer in that matched the 1.9ghz but it doesn't have the drive so now we are waiting for a drive to come in.

It's been 6 weeks and I am still waiting for my darn computer.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Oh, and I just bought a rear rotor for an 88-89 wing.

New is 7.0mm, discard is 6.0 mm.

The description was that it was estimated to be 6.7mm. It did say estimated. But I figured if it was within reason, I'd be ok.

I got it and didn't give it much thought. It wasn't for me, as I have a friend that bought one for his bike and it was wrong and it fit my bike, so he gave it to me. So I thought I would return the favor. I haven't seen him so it's been sitting for about 6 weeks.

I took my car to get it inspected so I thought I would take the rotor with me and get it measured.

At it's thickest point out near the edge, it is 6.7 mm. But closer to the center, there are points that are5.9mm. On average it is about 6.2.

I showed it to a Honda mechanic friend of mine and he measured it at 6.2 and stopped. Didn't check any other points. He said it would pass inspection, but it wasn't worth the effort to put it on the bike.

I don't think it's funny, I've had enough. :cussing:Too many crooks on e-bay and it seems to be getting worse.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I have actually had pretty good luck with ebay so far. Only one ink cartridge with no delivery so money lost. Oh well.

Once, I received a lower exhaust cover for my bike that was cut and modified for some reason. I replied back to the guy that anyone that knew anything about a goldwing would realize that this part was junk and totally unfit for resale. The guy actually totally agreed, apologized, and sent me another one.:blackstuff:

I tend not to get get too mad and not go ballistic in situation like these. But, I try not to make high dollar purchases greater than ~$150. I have made a few. I usually always plan for the worst, but surprisingly I have been mostly pleased.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I've had good luck with eBay too. Especially since I started using Auction Sniper. I do feel like a "Buzzard" using it, but hey, it works. That's how I got my NOS ignition switch and numerous other trinkets for my ride. I can't see the point in driving up an auction when this program will throw in my bid during the last 5 seconds and I've remained anonymous til then.

Tim

:boo:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I was interested in a second motorcycle for awhile so I contacted the owner of a local motorcycle on eBay. The ad said it ran fine but did show signs of age.

When I met the guy, the bike definitely showed signs of age, but also signs of neglect. He let me take it for a test ride. As soon as I hit the street, the thing was instantly unstable. The bars shook so violently that I was certain of an impending wreck. It took all my concentration to turn the bike around and get it back to his property, which was only 50 feet away.

I told the guy that this bike is completely unsafe and that his ad should warn potential buyers. He nodded, but never updated his ad. What a scumbag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.