Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just seen this on the GL1800 forum about a poor guy who fell for a $5000 GL1800;

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I hate to say it, but anyone using EBay has been warned. If you use the web you would have to be blind not to see all the warnings floating about. No sympathy for the victim from my end I'm afraid, much as I detest these scammers.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

:dude:I agree 100% with Skooter.;) I have absolutely

no sympathy for any person caught using ebay.

We are big enough, old enough, and in a lot of

cases thick enough to know that these scams

are world wide. I have said it before and I will

say it again, "Keep away from ebay" :shock:

:gunhead: :18red: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Ah Paul but you're a heartless fellow! I still feel sorry for the couple who lost their cash. Not everyone is proficient in the use of the Internet. After all, if you are not a visitor of forums where these things are discussed (and most people don't have any use for forums at all) then you won't know what signs to look out for.

I don't for a minute belive the measly $14 estimate for internet fraud. I think it is much much higher as there are so many different scams on the web. Apart from auction sites, there's;

A. The 409 scam. You know the one "I'm Prince Mugu from the Mugging Republic and my uncle died and left $66 million in a bank account and I need an honest business partner....."

B. Goods advertised on non auction sites where you end up with a forged bank draft in payment for your bike, car or whatever.

C. "Cheap" software, ie Windows XP pro for $49. You pay for it online and never get it. When enough people complain to the credit card company, the scammers move to another site after making a load of cash from the first one. Kazaa Gold is one of these, it's a scam site that is still going. You pay $39 and get absolutely nothing.

That's just 3 types of scam. There are obviously loads more, but I didn't attend the university ofSaintScamuel in Lagosor the other branches in Budapest etc so I'm probably a bit behind on my knowledge.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Everytime I switch on the PC and log on. Loads of email from

these scumbags. Right click and delete. The only mail I look

for on this PC is from this site re wingnut. :shock: :X

:waving: :18red: :waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I hate to admit it, but I fell for the software one last year. Adobe Premiere for $49. I thought it was all legit, real pro web site with loads of software at cheap prices. Supposedly surplus stock they bought in bulk. Needless to say I git nothing for my $40, but it was a cheap lesson as it made me read up on these scams. Made my hair stand on end with the apparent scale of it. Pay Pal said they would investigate but I've heard nothing since then, their customer service stinks, if I had paid by plastic I could have claimed it back from the credit card company.

I suppose the lesson I learned makes the $40 the best money I spent last year!! :X:X

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

As a software developer I never buy software I can't authenticate. I'd rather pay full retail at a reputable dealer than buy "deep discount" software.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I've noticed an upsurge in the amount of "software sellers" in my junk email recently. It used to be just a few people doing it and now they are coming from all over the place. I reckon the Nigerian scammers are in on it now as well so we will get tons of this stuff.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

I can't believe it, but this scam is STILL going, found the attachment on Ebay this morning, this guy claims to be selling an 1800 abs in perfect condition for $5999. Heed the warning, buy NOTHING on Ebay unless you know the supplier.:X

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There are at least 5-10 of them ads running every day. No, I don't feel sorry for anyone that thinks they can get a new bike for a third of the cost. And free shipping to boot. Just amazes me the number of gullible people around. But that's why the scammers and dupers thrive like roaches.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

EBay is a place I would not buy anything big from. Small items is okay but big money items, no way. BTW Sam, that looks like a nice gl1100 in your avatar picture. Are they lighted wheel covers on the front?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Ebay is a dodgy place where you never really see what your buying until it arrives at your door. I have been trying for 6 months to buy an accordion and the three serious attempts to actually buy on ebayso far have been scam merchants. I saw exactly what I wanted in October and the seller was listed in Belfast. I emailed him my phone number and he rang me. Described as a 2yr old electronic instrument virtually unused for £2000. I asked him for his address so I go go right away to buy it andthe sellerturned out to be a dealer in Gortin, near Omagh who I knew well. I told him I had tried to buy a similar one 25yrs ago from him and suspected it was the same one. When I asked for confirmation he hung up and has refused all calls from me since. It is actually worth about £300 given it was 5yrs old when I saw it 25yrs ago in his shop. I tried for another but when I asked a few complicated technical questions it was suddenly taken off ebay. I did however manage to buy two pairs of randolph sunglasses worth £100 each for £45 the pair so it aint all bad. :waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I would'nt buy a bar of toffee on ebay. :gunhead: Keep away. :waving:

:gunhead: :18red: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Thanks Martin. No, just covers for now. I have some caliper covers, and fender rail, but I am waiting till I get my bike painted before I put them on.

I am with Martin on the ebay issue. I buy and sell quite a bit on ebay, but nothing that's gonna cost a lot of money. Have sold a few big ticket items with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Yes , I've always wanted to buy a Helmet Camera . and I see a few deals on Ebay , well there goes that deal . I'll just shop around where I live then . I've always also been leary of buying there anyways , to much red tape it seems and also the horror stories . Also Gents

I'm doing alot of browsing around this site and I find that its a predominatly a GL1500:18magenta: and a GL1800 :15blue:site , very few older or custom GLs :1000darkblue:. are there any here and or where are they ? :1000red:

Zryder

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've done a bit of selling and buying on eBay. Sold two sailboats, two cars, bought my GL1200 and lots of small stuff including bike parts. To date I have had satisfactory dealings, one guy tried a scam, but you can run into that anywhere. If you are careful and aren't looking to shaft someone by buying something way below reasonable price, it's not all that risky. I guess I just kinda trust most people, and over the years (lots of them) I haven't been taken too many times.

The place is a real help when restoring an older bike like mine, I don't know how a person would find all those little parts without spending a fortune in phone calls and running around.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

A further scam.

i received an email from an authentic eBay looking email page asking me to updated my security details, they had my name and obviously email address, they required my bank details and card code this was due to my bank refusing my last payment, even thoughI had'nt used ebay for six months. My bank had not made any contact with eBay. The reply addresshad eBay in it. eBay confirmed they did'nt ask for the detail either
:crying:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a pretty typical phishing attempt. I got one awhile back that purported to be from my bank.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If you look carefully at the phishing e-mails, from either eBay, Paypal, or any number of banks, you'll notice one thing. The URL they direct you to will start with an IP address, like "http://123.33.49.77/ebay/.....", look somewhat like the real thing, and most certainly NEVER be a secured website, starting with https://. All websites that you enter critical information like card numbers need to be a https site, not a plain http site.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
If you look carefully at the phishing e-mails, from either eBay, Paypal, or any number of banks, you'll notice one thing. The URL they direct you to will start with an IP address, like "http://123.33.49.77/ebay/.....", look somewhat like the real thing, and most certainly NEVER be a secured website, starting with https://. All websites that you enter critical information like card numbers need to be a https site, not a plain http site.

Raymond
Hey Silicon Sam, Your 100% correct. :clapper:Even at that dont put any confnd info through your PC unless you know the people that you are dealing with. :gunhead:

Merry xmas to ya. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.