Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

Guess my 3900 usd Ebay find wasn't as pristine as I thought. I really love my '84 Aspy, but she does have her problems. I just cannot afford a newer bike, and I really had to do some fast talking to get this one past me wifey. Odometer only showed 42kmiles, but I'm beginning to not believe it. I bought the bike last September(08). Here goes with the trials.

So far, losing coolant but it's not dripping out. Oil looked really brown on first change and oil level didn't look too high, butstill was not looking good, so,here comes a head gasket replacement. Temp always runs 7-8 bars, won't come down from that at all. I couldn't tell much about the plugs. Oh well, things could be worse.

Guy I bought the bike from had the stator replaced. I think so far, so good on that one, but I'm putting a poor boy system on it this year anyway as it is weak at idle.(lights flicker)

Third issue is the starter doesn't want to engage cold. I'll MMO or Seafoam that, hopefully that will fix it. But, as one member already said, all you have to do is put it in 1st, rock a little in gear, then it will engage and I am running 5W30.

4th issue, starter drags when hot. So, I need to rebuild. Hopefully I'll get to do that before riding season this year.

5th issue is, fast shifts are not possible. If I accelerate fast in 1st gear, then shift to 2nd, it will pop out of gear.... bummer. My experience has been with cars that when that happens, it means the gearbox is worn out. The only thing I can think of other than that is possibly the markland heel/toe shifter isn't getting it into 2nd very well. I suppose it means there will be no fast shifting for me.

6th issue is the freakin' exhaust leak. I put new header gaskets and muffler gaskets on it last fall, but it still stinks. I suppose I just need to remove, replace again paying extremely close attention to getting everything aligned correctly. If I can sweet talk the 'lil lady, I'll get a new MAC system to put on since full Jardines aren't available. I have a Jardine 4/2 on my '82 CB900(which must be sold this spring)and it's a great system. Wish they were still around for the Aspy.

Last, but not least, back brake is sticking, but just a little. I'm very familiar with brakes as I have been a wrencher for the past 30+ years,so it's just a matter of getting the time to go through the caliper and system.(yep, I'm an old fart)

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I know that there are answers on this board to all of these questions and I'll search for them. I was just hoping I wasn't the only person on the board that has been disappointed by purchasing something that wasn't as expected. As they say, caveat emptor.

Overall though, I love the ride. The comfort with the Corbin seat is great. This is also a great forum and I appreciate all of the knowledge that has been posted here and here's hoping for a excellent 2009 riding season for all.

Jim(inSC):)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
imported post

You are not the first. My 2nd bike was as you describe but not quite as many faults.

It took a couple of trips to the m/c shop to get it fixed as I didn't have the time, nor the inclination to do it myself. My wrenching days ended about 20 years ago.

Just don't feel like that stuff anymore. Grew up in a machine shop, rebuilt car and truck engines a long time. Brother was a Top Fuel racer and built hot engines for the racing crowd.

Been there, done that stuff. Just don't care to anymore.

The things you mention aren't serious, they will just take a bit of time and effort to get fixed up.

FWIW, there are very few "pristine" bikes of that age out there. Most of them are pristine in the eyes of the seller so he can move it out of his yard.

Makes a good comment on always taking a long test ride so you have a chance to feel it out.

I test rode my bike twice, about a week a part. both times, I lulled myself into just a mile down the road and back to its' home.

Wrong, wrong both times. I should have put at least 30 minutes on it so as to get it up to full temperature.

I handed over the money, started for home. 20 minutes later and half way home, it started to 'fall apart'. Would not idle below 1500 rpm. Only showed up when it got hot at first.

Later, after riding it to work a couple of days, it got worse, and started surging at idle...

Your bike will be fine....

Oh, on the shifting, I would ditch the heel/toe shifter and put the stock one back on. A lot of your trouble "IMO" will go away. But, the 1200 doesn't like to be pushed to fast between 1 & 2. Or at least the gl1200 I had didn't .

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

hello, about the heating... i was thinking the t-stat could have something to do with that issue. does the coolant reservoir level raises 2 much or even boils?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

5W30 is pretty heavy for winter, does anyone agree? Fo rthe P/O running that, seems like he may was having more leaking oil, and I believe the 5w30 could also slow down your shifting. I went back to 10W40.
I recently fond a naked 1980 and a fully dressed 1982 Aspy for 2000 (1000.00Ea) for both. I owe 250.00 on a loan I have at my bank. As soon as I get it paid off, I believe I may suck them up. Both run, and have been inside a barn, but the 82 needs a paint job, but not at all a bad price! Clean up one, sell it, and pay the note off!
I purchased my first wing off Ebay, and it was cherry as could be. I guess I was lucky. These I am looking at, the owner cannot ride anymore because of a car wreck he had. That is very sad.

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Brown oil + losing coolant = head gasket. Not a bad fix actually...both can be done in an afternoon.

Shifter popping out of gear...sometimes happens when the gears aren't fully seating. I see you have floorboards, the heel-toe shifter may be bent a little and not pushing the gear selector fully into gear.

Exhaust leak. Check the torque specs on the manifold/header bolts. You have to squash those copper gaskets down to get a good seal.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Do you know what head it is? If Not, Look at your plugs. MDKramer can explain this better than I can
Good Luck.
Nightrider1

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Howdy Jim,

Really doesn't sound too bad to me.

Just take the problems one at a time.

And in order of importance or safety.

You will find that it will get sorted out in short order.

Like they said, The head gasket is not that bad a job on these engines.

For the shifting problem, I myself hate the heel toe shifters.

And they are very finicky to get right and then to keep them in adjustment.

Can't beat the stock shifter for getting the job done each and every time.

I guess the starter is next as there is no sense in working on the brakes if the dam thing wont start.

See? All done.

Well the exhaust leak is an annoyance. BUT.....

With a wing you can always turn the tunes up. Grin

Have a GREAT DAY.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I had 3 1100 with floor boards. i always thought I couldnt place my foot right for the regular pegs. I decided to have a look see . A member off this site shipped his pegs to me and Ive been in love with poegs ever since. i have noticed that the floorboards made me shift harder. Since I had to use my heel I usually slammed it in 2345.
Maybe your shifting has to be meterede accordingly.
Try a lil less pressure or maybe more pressure.
The head gasket change will take you an afternoon but make sure to purchase all your gaskets in advance or youll find yourself with heads in hand wanting to put it back ommiting af ew items.
head gasket, o ring,Remeber there are 7 bolts six under the valve cover and 1 between exhaust ports under the head.
Lights will be dim at idle which is teh lowest charge range of your stator. Alot of 4 cyl cagesrs will do the same , only to brighten up as you increase throttle. Before doing the poorboy check your voltage and amps thoughout range.

Connect your voltmeter and tape it to the fairing to see your readouts under load.
\You can save your self the poorboy cash for other things.Especially since the PO changed the stator.

make sure you have removed the old copper exhaust seal. I put on a set only to find out that there was a set inthere already. Really black so I couldnt tell the difference till i wiped it with engine cleaner.
If you look at the big picture you will drive yourself nuts.
take it one at a time and you ll be on your way to a happy wing.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I also removed the floorboards off my bike when I got it, they do make it harder to shift and put on the sidestand.

5-30 oil is way too light and would most likely have friction modifiers. I would put in a motorcycle 10-40 with some seafoam, run for a bit ( lots of info on the site for this) then change it out ( oil & filter ) put back in a motorcycle 10-40 oil. This will help both your starter & your clutch.

As for antifreeze problem, do site search lots of info on chasing down cause.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

First- The starters spin when its cold. Yours is probabbly normal.

Second- My 1982 Aspy has an exhaust leak, but of course, being a motorcycle, I don't expect carbon monoxide poisoning. You can still ride it now.

You should be able to fix the head, and even swap the engine someday, if you have to.

Seems the cosmetics on your bike are nice. That is a big deal.

I have never had a perfect used (or even new) used vehicle. Fix it, 'cause the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.