Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all.

Recently I fitted ebc pads to my 89 Gl1500 after reading the writeups on several forums.

BAD CHOICE.:(:(

Only done 500k and front pads were over 1/2 worn and rear down to backing plates.

Braking performance was great for the first 3000k then started to deteriorate.

Thought I had done something wrong with either fitting or bedding in.

Started reading through a lot of different forums again and found a lot of people with the same problems.

Of most concern was the number of total failures of these pads after only very low k's. Several persons have also had nasty experiances as a result.

Would suggest guys and girls that you want to be careful with these products as it appears several people are advertising these items on a cost highlight as to original Honda units.
I have now found out that there are several different grades and none of the dealers i use have a choice. it is always the cheapest.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've been using EBC pads for awhile on my bikes, 1100, 1200 and my 1500 and never felt they wore down overly fast. I use the organic EBCs to keep the wear down on the disk compared to the sintered metal type. I seem to get around 20-25k miles on them which seems reasonable to me. Basically I change them on every other tire change. I've never had one fail completely either or heard of anyone else on this forum reporting failures or premature wear. Perhaps there was a bad batch or counterfeit pads. Not an unusual thing nowadays with China forging all kinds of brands.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Exavid.

Where did you obtain yours and what grade are they?

We dont get them here in NZ so have to purchase from the US from reputable distributors.

I found the EBC website and note that there are many different grades but the suppliers I use just show them as "for goldwings".

There is nothing on the wrapping to show where manufactured, by whom or grade rating.

Most of the blurb only shows them as being organic but nothing else.

I did a search for premature wear and got a shock when I read numerous bike forums where riders are complaining of the same thing also numerous reports of them coming apart.

Appears there are numerous manufacturers but we thought that EBC was the manufacturer. hence our frustration.

Many riders within our own club have tried them and not one would put them back on.

I have also read that many people have had to change rotors so as not to have these problems.

At $20 us a set for you it is very cost effective against the Honda originals but by the time we buy 3 sets, shipping and exchange rate it has cost us $180nz.

Original honda sets i can obtain for $120nz

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I've been getting mine here. You can usually pick up a complete set fairly reasonable.

http://tiny.pl/s4lv

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The jury is still out. I put them on 2 1200's.......one I sold after 2000 miles and the pads were still good. The other one is still in the family, but doesn't get ridden much, so those are like new. My 1500 just got them about 2000 miles ago and still look good, even after a hard, recent trip to Georgia. Lots of hills and twisties, and some hard braking. Pads still look good.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I tried those ebay pads & almost ruined the rotors. They only lasted about 6000 mi. I use the EBC pads now & pay approx $30.00 / set, no such thing as "Good Cheap Brakes " :action::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I called the local Honda dealer here for a price on rear pads for my 1500 and was quoted a price of $29.99 but they would have to order them. I ordered a set of EBC brand from Dennis Kirk and should have them tomorrow.

So from what I get from the dealer's price is that the pads that they order are on the same par as EBC.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Amazing timing.

This week, I found my rear brake pads on my Valk(normal EBCs) down to bear metal. I had put them in a scant 2000 miles ago. I replaced them with the HH EBC high performance and combined with my car tire, I can really really stop. My front brakes have been HH EBCs for over 5k and they work great and have many miles left.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I use EBC on all my Hondas, my Ducati and my two Triumphs. They all wear and perform well. $20us a set? Not sure what those are, I'm paying close to $40us a set and $47 for the Duck's. If I go to Ducati pads they're $89us a set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.