Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this power plug from Electrical Connection for my GL1500 left pocket.
EC sent instruction for connecting to a GL1800 but not for the GL1500. I've emailed for tech support but have not received a response yet.
Has anyone used this plug and do you know the existing left pocket plug I should use?
I've attached a pic.
Should I plug into the green and white plug?
And what does this existing green and white plug power?
Thx!
http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplug.htm

Attachments

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
From the picture of the plug it looks like it should plug into the 2 prong connector with the orange and green wires. This should be the plug for the fairing marker lights. They are an accessory from Honda or from aftermarket companies like Show Chrome or EC.
Disconnect the white and green plugs and put the connectors back in with the power plug in place. Remember this is a very low amperage power plug and won't accept a lighter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to power a 5 volt RoadyXT XM radio with the power plug.
Do you think the low amp draw will power the XM? Thx

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The best thing you can do for that is to run a new power line from your accessory panel. That would get you the power you need for that port. If you want it powered all the time regardless of the key position then you will need to get a bit more creative.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
How much power could an XM radio draw? Can't be much. I'd research the capacity of the existing plug and if it's adequate see if you can get a compatible socket to use with it. Why create more work than needed to power such a simple, low power device? Maybe the mfg will have an adapter or the plug you need.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Why take a chance and burn up your electrical system. Just run a feed wire from your acc. terminal to the lighter and be done with it and have peace of mind. Dont forget a ground wire too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've currently have my GPS hard wired into the acc.
I was wanting to use the plug to be able to easily move my XM from car to bike.
The roady XM indicated it needs 5 Volta to operate.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
5 volts. You are going to need some sort of adapter to lower the voltage down from 12 volts that the bike puts out to the 5 volts you say you need. Are you sure it's 5 volts and not 5 amps?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I run my roady xt and my cell phone charger off the acc and never had a problem it's not much of a draw to start popping the fuse.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 volts. You are going to need some sort of adapter to lower the voltage down from 12 volts that the bike puts out to the 5 volts you say you need. Are you sure it's 5 volts and not 5 amps?
When comes to understanding volts, amps and watts i certaintly have no clue what Im talking about, heres what it says for power on the Roadyxt Mftr specs:
Power: 5 V, 2000 mA maximum current, positive polarity

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.