Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I just installed a ec harness and am putting on a new Mac system, headers and mufflers. I am running factory jets and plugs butam wondering if I should change jets and plug heat range. I don't know a formula to help figure out what plugs to use. Is there a formula to help figure this out or has anyone made similar changes.

thanks Tim

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ishi wrote:
Hi,

I just installed a ec harness and am putting on a new Mac system, headers and mufflers. I am running factory jets and plugs butam wondering if I should change jets and plug heat range. I don't know a formula to help figure out what plugs to use. Is there a formula to help figure this out or has anyone made similar changes.

thanks Tim
Tim, the EC harness has nothing to do with spark plug heat range or jetting.. The headers could effect the jetting slightly but that will have to be determined by how it operates after getting it together & riding it.

Plug heat range is usually a function of operating conditions, cylinder compression, & engine design. IF, you are going to ride only at very high speeds then maybe drop down one plug heat range. For normal riding stay with the stock heat range.

On the carb jetting? That would depend on how it runs, how it takes the throttle when warm, if it pops back through the carb on throttle up, & if it runs smoothly. On some applications you can watch the spark plug colors & tell how close your jetting is but on others with a lean burn design the plugs will always be pretty white & look lean even when correct.. You didn't tell usthe bike make or model you are working on so we really can't be specific on anything about your jetting.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Twisty,

Thanks for the info. I am working on a 84 aspencade. The reason I was concerned about plugs is that the installation instuctions suggest changing plugs. I think it has to do with the coils being fed 12 volts directly. I am going to make any changes slow, one at a time after testing each change. I hope after I put on the new exhaust it will run great with no further adjustments.

FYI:

I did figure out why my bike went dead after harness installation. I was at the main fuse 30 amp. I fixed it by mistake. after my bike had no power at all the fuse on the selnoid was the first place I checked and it was hot and the connections were hot. I have had trouble in this area before and after reading on the BB how to wiring a 30 amp inline fuse from the battery I went and got a maxi in line 30 amp and wired in the big red and red and white wires to the battery. I figued I might as well improve the solinoid setup once and for all while I was trying to figure out why the bike was dead. I turned the key on after installation and " nothing " oh, well.

I was looking at the 30 amp fuse on the solinoid thinking I would not need it so I would take it out , it was brand new ,I had changed it just in case it was the problem earlier. I picked up my tester and put it on the left side and it lite up then the left and it was dead, strange. I took the fuse out and something caught my eye it was the light comimg on, happy days my baby lives. I still have not figuered out what was the problem. I can tell you this the solinoid and main fuse area is a piece of junk setup. Wonder why no one ever invented an on the market harness kit to fix that problem.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I always used the NGK suggested plug but for some reason every year it would start missing on one cylinder on startup, the 4 cylinders would fire up after 30 seconds or so, I would change the plugs and be good for another year. I changed to the AC R121XLS plug that was recommended, running my second year and no problems, the bike did seem to have a noticable improvement in get up and go after the EC installalation. Whether the change of plug had anything to do with it I am not sure, it was most likely the harness.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ishi wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am working on a 84 aspencade. The reason I was concerned about plugs is that the installation instuctions suggest changing plugs. I think it has to do with the coils being fed 12 volts directly. I am going to make any changes slow, one at a time after testing each change. I hope after I put on the new exhaust it will run great with no further adjustments.
I'm not sure why the directions would say to change plug heat range. VOLTAGE TO THE COILS or the amount of spark produced has no effect what-so-ever on spark plug heat range. Plug heat range selection is a function of engine & combustion design & internal cylinder operating conditions. The heat range of a plug is it's ability to carry plug operatingheat from the plug to the cylinder head (or it's mounting location) & has NO effect on the spark produced or ignition properties.

I did figure out why my bike went dead after harness installation. I was at the main fuse 30 amp. I fixed it by mistake. after my bike had no power at all the fuse on the selnoid was the first place I checked and it was hot and the connections were hot. I have had trouble in this area before and after reading on the BB how to wiring a 30 amp in line fuse from the battery I went and got a maxi in line 30 amp and wired in the big red and red and white wires to the battery. I figued I might as well improve the solinoid setup once and for all while I was trying to figure out why the bike was dead. I turned the key on after installation and " nothing " oh, well.

I was looking at the 30 amp fuse on the solinoid thinking I would not need it so I would take it out , it was brand new ,I had changed it just in case it was the problem earlier. I picked up my tester and put it on the left side and it lite up then the left and it was dead, strange. I took the fuse out and something caught my eye it was the light comimg on, happy days my baby lives. I still have not figuered out what was the problem. I can tell you this the solinoid and main fuse area is a piece of junk setup. Wonder why no one ever invented an on the market harness kit to fix that problem.
That 30 amp fuse is a big problem on older Wings & in most cases should be eliminated & replaced with a sealed 30 amp in line fuse. Glad you found the problem before it let you down out on the road somewhere. (or did you?).. In a lot of cases it really isn't the fuse itself but the two red wires where they enter the starter relay cavities.. You might want to look at the red wire connectors & terminals where they enter the relay as those tend to burn & corrode. (look for melted plastic or the fact the wires won't pull out easily).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The instructions dont say to change them. There is a discussion page that came with the EC harness that mentions "in his opinion" that OEM Gold Wing plugs a way too hot. That experience with your own bike will tell you which type of plug it would be happier with.
He gave some recomendations:
1 AC R121XLS
2 Champion RA2HC
3 Champion RA4HC
4 Champion RA6HC
5 Bosch XR4CS
"All others are wannabees!"

In my own experience I find that the recomended NGK plug had a very short life, A friend who I ride with uses NGK but he says his bike pings when using regular gas.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the info. but I did not get any such paper with my instructions. I did not get any diletic grease that is supposed to be included also.

What the instructions say that I got is:

" We suggest changing your spark plugs while installing the harness. We have included information taken from the internet regarding plug application. This information is for your reference as we do not suggest one plug over another ".

That's it word for word and they did not include any type of info. from anywhere with my package. I was disappointed.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Yes to changing the plugs but not neccasarily with ones of a different make.
The info was gleaned from the net.
I tried the AC plugs and it seemed in my case they worked better than the NGK, more expensive mind.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

What many people don't know is the plug life on the old Wings (Harley's also) can be increased substantially by swapping the spark plugs side to side occasionally.. With that lost spark system one plug on a coil fires from the center electrode to the side electrode & the other plug on that coil fires from the side electrode to the center electrode.. That tends to round off the center electrode on one. When they are swapped side to side (on the same coil) it allows the spark to jump in a different direction on that plug. Like welding with a DC welder, DC reverse polarity really uses that rod up in a hurry..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the info. If Ichangeplugs I will give the AC R12XLS a try.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Never heard that before but it makes sense. What do you think about indexing plugs?

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ishi wrote:
Never heard that before but it makes sense. What do you think about indexing plugs?

Tim
Tim, I think enough to do it on ALL my bikes.. Depends on the plugs, combustion chamber design, valve shrouding, fuel air mixture, ign timing.. Some bikes like on my Wing I really can't tell the difference (there could be some but I just can't feel it).. Now on my Harley it improves the idle & low speed throttle up slightly & gives a more even low RPM exhaust sound.. The plugs on the Harley have big electrodes so hide the spark pretty easy so that could be the difference.. I do it on most bikes because it is real easy & could help. Probably on the Wing the plug placement is a little better so indexing isn't as effective.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well since it's not a major job and it might make a difference I will begin indexing. It could help as well in gas mileage I imagine.

Thanks,

tim

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Except for checking and changing oil, maintaining tire pressure,checking the electolyte level in the battery, checking the brakes, all I want to do is ride.
I cant even remember when the plugs were changed in my mercury marquis, it gets a comfortable highway 26MPG Imperial.
Why should I have to mess around with plugs on the wing. If I have found a plug that will stay in the bike for thousands of miles I shall be very happy.
My 89 Chevy S10 has had three sets of plugs in its 360,000 K, my wing has averaged about 17 (guess) sets in 193,000k....not good.
Only the future can tell me if changing the plug brand in the wing has improved longevity or if the Harness changed the way it works? I know I didnt have to change plugs this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.