1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
not cheap by any means

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Very cool looking, and I'll be getting a pair when my OEM's burn out. As far as the price, two things: 1) The last OEM bulb I bought was $18 and they usually last 3-4 years. These are 60% more cost, but being LED's, could likely last a decade or longer. 2) I'm reminded of a sign I saw in a tattoo parlor once that I feel can be applied to most small businesses, such as EC, and to electronics in general. It read: "A good tattoo isn't cheap, and a cheap tattoo isn't good."

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool looking, and I'll be getting a pair when my OEM's burn out. As far as the price, two things: 1) The last OEM bulb I bought was $18 and they usually last 3-4 years. These are 60% more cost, but being LED's, could likely last a decade or longer. 2) I'm reminded of a sign I saw in a tattoo parlor once that I feel can be applied to most small businesses, such as EC, and to electronics in general. It read: "A good tattoo isn't cheap, and a cheap tattoo isn't good."
I've been fighting my last set of replacement bulbs for several months now. The shank length changed, and I have 1 bulb that just wont keep working.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
So I gotta ask. Which "cornering light" is this for, and why only 98-00? Aren't the bulbs themselves the same for all years?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Since the factory bulb is a dual filament 18w/18w and only runs one of the two filaments (for 18w of draw) then are these LED bulbs actually pulling more than double the current or are they giving a wattage comparison? My question would be 'how much current are they actually pulling'. The link gives an amp rating for power use, but I do not know how that converts.
And I just ordered new factory bulbs ($8.50 each) two days ago. If these pull less I will more than likely pony up to free up wattage for future electric clothing.
I like the idea of leaving all the wiring just as mama Honda made it because I also was considering swapping to 1156 socket/LED bulbs.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
So I gotta ask. Which "cornering light" is this for, and why only 98-00? Aren't the bulbs themselves the same for all years?
I could be wrong, and if so someone will jump in and point out my error, but I think on 98 up they are always on and on earlier they are only on during cornering when the blinker is on?
Or that an SE vs Aspencade type thing?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 94, and have set up the cornering lights to be on all the time. The sockets have been modded so both stay lit. I'll be getting a set of these as soon as I can budget them in.
Ride Safe
Rich

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
I believe mine (98) have a high/low. When I installed my cheap led versions, I chose to wire to the high since the bulbs had only one contact.

I think that the two contact will indeed allow for low during normal running, and high during cornering.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
On my '98SE the running lights are on all the time, no high/low that I've noticed...and I'm pretty sure the whole setup is stock.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I know at least with 98 up, only one filament of the two is used. Take a look at the bulb sometime when you take the tupperware off- the glass is blackened on only one side from the hot filament. There is a thread on this site somewhere where someone modded the wiring to use the other filament when the first burned out.
I have never noticed any brighter light with the blinker on, but have not looked for it either. I ride at night a lot and I think I would have noticed that in the last 8 plus years.
I still want to know though- how much actual wattage do these pull? If less than the 18w on the stock bulbs, I will probably spring for them. If the same, I might anyway just for longevity and durability- those stockers are sensitive to vibration! Or dropping.
Rich

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
OK- I found the conversion formula on-line. The ad says they draw .58 amp, on a 12 volt system, equates to a draw of 7 watts. This is about a third of the stockers. (7w vs 18w).
This means the electrical system can support 22 additional watts of draw and think it is normal. Wonder how many watts electric gloves will draw? Hmmmm...
With my LED dash conversion done, these bulbs, I might be close.
Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.