Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just did test on my knock sensors and it points to the ecm. is there anyway to check them before buying one. I heard it could be dirty connections at the unit? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
just did test on my knock sensors and it points to the ecm. is there anyway to check them before buying one. I heard it could be dirty connections at the unit? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I just had the same problem with my '03...right knock sensor. They're kind of a pain to get the wire connector off, but I took both the right and left sensor out and swapped places with them. Put everything back together, F! indicator came back on with same code indicating right knock sensor. I also sprayed the connectors to the sensors and ECM before putting everything back together. No change. ECM supposed to be in today. Hope this fixes the problem...both yours and mine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had the same problem with my '03...right knock sensor. They're kind of a pain to get the wire connector off, but I took both the right and left sensor out and swapped places with them. Put everything back together, F! indicator came back on with same code indicating right knock sensor. I also sprayed the connectors to the sensors and ECM before putting everything back together. No change. ECM supposed to be in today. Hope this fixes the problem...both yours and mine!
Thanks for the quick response! If you get same code after swapping that means the ecm right?

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
Not hard to check the sensors but probably futile. I don't remember anyone ever having a bad sensor, always the ECU.

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
is it safe to put a used ecm in your Goldwing. Schocked at the price for a new one:oops:
It is safe. Just a chance a used one has the same problem.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
DaveO430 is the guy who checked out my '02 when it had the Knock Sensor problem...

he went thru all the test stuff described above, and we concluded it is a bad ECM.

I looked at the ECM to see if I can fix it? Nope, that putty crap they filled it with, is harder than the Aluminum case that surrounds it. file 13 it went.

I was very lucky, found an '04 that was being torn apart after it met a Brick Wall...
bought the ECM, Alternator and horns for $75.00
and it was local to me, just 35 miles down the road.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Got my new ECM in yesterday, easy swap out. Took it out for a test run, 35 miles later, no issues! I don't know if it's that I switched oil brands (don't want to hear it fellas) but it seemed to shift easier and running about 73 mph with just a tick under 3k rpm's. Felt great again!

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
Got my new ECM in yesterday, easy swap out. Took it out for a test run, 35 miles later, no issues! I don't know if it's that I switched oil brands (don't want to hear it fellas) but it seemed to shift easier and running about 73 mph with just a tick under 3k rpm's. Felt great again!
Good it's working. You do know your speedometer is wrong? You are probably running about 68 mph at that RPM.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
So I've heard. I just roll with it. Thanks anyway!
yup, I put the GPS large screen up with the Speed in big numbers....
my bike shows about 6-7 mph difference depending on RPM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts