Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Well the four barrel conversion is doing great. We now have two of them completed and on the road every day. One has logged several hundred miles and no problems at all. One has had a few minor adjustments made and all is well with it at this time. The gas mileage is from twenty five to thirty plus, and this is over short driving mostly, but very good reports. When the four barrels kick in at about sixty hang on. course they will entergize quicker at full low throttle but no one has been that brave. Also the "wing" is a cruiser not a tail stander. All I can say at this point is that its an easy conversion and works well, and the mileage is not shabby,they idle well (after warm up) best of all they can be set and run with out alot of kits and messing with four carbs. Just thought I would let all know how the change over was doing, and the mileage, Oh yes we have not done a super slab check over a couple tanks as yet but if thirty a gal. on short trips of ten mile or so is there then extended should be better. Jiggs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What size carb is that? I assume you made your own manifold, if so let us know how you did it. And let us know if you've tried any other carbs as well. Keep us informed, please...

I have the single Holley carb from the now closed Cycle Innovations.

Oh, and it's Edelbrock...

Raymond

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I may have missed the genesis of this thread, but I am curious, what was the motivation for the conversion?

Since the wing is a cruiser, as you say, could it be power? 25-30 mpg is considerably less than stock, so that cant be the reason. Its fascinating that it can be done...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

My motivation for going to a single carb was I didn't want to pay someone $500 to fix my 4 carbs, as I was quoted, and I got tired of messing with them and trying to get them to work right. Much simpler now, although any carb is gonna be tricky from time to time.

I just wanted to ride my bike, not work on it all the time.

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Well done jiggs. I think that it's great to see guys like you doing things with the older Wings that allows them to be driven inexpensively for many years to come.

It would be nice to see actual quarter mile time slips to gauge the performance difference between stock carbs and your 4 barrel setup.

Have you noticed any carb icing yet or do you have a heated plenum?

Vic

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Well done Jiggs. Are you going to share the knowledge with us or are you going to be selling the carb setup?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

dont get me wrong, I wasnt looking down my nose. I was just wondering. I, too, have sometimes had moments like "I wonder what would happen if...".

Its cool to think and trouble shoot creatively.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

U-bar, don't worry about it. I've seen and heard my share of people sneering or bad mouthing the single carb setup. I got a bit upset when I was told that during a GWRRA Classic SIG meeting at a show that they were really putting down the setup. Hey, nothing wrong with trying new things, and making your bike unique. I get some compliments on my bike, and even a few extra when they peek under the false tank. Imagine if I had one of them superchargers stuffed under there...

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I don't know what's wrong with ignorant snobs who think everything on the bike must be original. Aren't they intelligent enough to realize that as soon as you put a coat of wax on a new Wing that it's no longer original because the wax that they put on never came from the factory. Same with the first oil change, then tire change, brake change etc.............

In my opinion any Gold Wing that has four cylinders and still has the original steering head is a Classic Wing. Anything else is just a variation ofthe Classic Wing.

There are original Wings, but, try finding one that's still usable because rubber rots, fuel dries out, metal rusts etc. and etc. It's all measured in degrees.

As far as I am concerned there are unrestored Wings, restored Wings, custom Wings and neglected Wings, as well as everything else between those categories.

I would have to say that the rarest Wing would be one where the enginewas never started andthe bike wasvacuumwrapped and sealed from the factory, but, to my way of thinking that would be the most useless and sensless Wing ever assembled because the true pleasure of a Wing is found in riding it and working on it.

Enjoy your Wing in any safe way you see fit and be proud of your unique creation because after all, your fingerprints are different than everybody elses so why can't your bike be different also.

Vic

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Vic, that reminded me about my wife (soon to be ex) and the hobby and business she had selling collectible ornaments and dolls, etc.. So much emphasis was made on buying something like a doll and never taking it from the box, so it has high resale value later on.

When she bought dolls for little girls, first thing she did was take it out of the box and hand it to the girl, and toss the box. Her way of saying and thinking that the dolls were made to be played with, and enjoyment for children. Not as collectibles for old women with nothing but greed in mind.

Just get on the bike, spend whatever you need to to get it running, and just enjoy it. The last two hobbies I spent a bit of money on was this bike and new Canon camera. But the enjoyment I get from riding it (the bike, I mean) and taking nice pictures, far outweighs the cost involved.

This bike will never be a collectible, it will be a toy for me to enjoy, and to see the countryside. It's a good way to get away from the world when I hop on and leave the house. When it's all said and done, the bike will be plenty wore out. At least that's the intentions anyway.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ok guys ,,, here goes, I will try and answer all of the questions, forgive if I miss one.
This is a six hundred C.F.M. carb, it does real well and does not slobber at idle, just sits and purrs. At this time there is no heat to the box, and not sure if needed unless your in cold country and ride in the winter, here in Akansas we rode this last fall and some cool days in the cold months and had no trouble exept it was more cold natured. of course that is normal as it is.would be a simple matter to install a heat sink heater under the distribution box to assist, I will have to look in to this deeper and report back.
This unit was not done for power although it does give it some what better get up and go and if elec.ignition is installed it really excells. each of the original are one fifty cfm. each so it it is actually less gas running on the front two barrles than the original four carbs. I really think mileage will improve on a long trip. My other 81 Wing is stock and it gets 40 per gal. so it is not far off. and the cost factor is lots better, I would rather build one carb than four. I would like to hear some reports on the single carb and information on it.
At this time we don't exspect to build these units for sale, however several boys with older wings with carb problems have ask us as to the price and so forth,
It sure does turn head when cruising the strip down town.
We love the two that we have in operation, we are just a bunch of riders that love to ride, I am sixty nine in a few weeks so you never know about us "old boys" thanks for all response Jiggs.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Well I'am just a kid at 60 but I could use a set up like that for mine is there anyway I could get you to build a manifold for me or a compete set up Iam get to old to been over to work on these bikes Help Dennis thank you 1978 gl1000

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

I think everybody on all the Wing sites is trying to get jiggs to build one or send them the plans to build there own I know I sure would like to have one I have a EB carb. that is looking for a new home.

Raymond- jimjim's dad

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I don't have any carb problems but being an old hot rodder I read every post on the single carb conversion. You hear of to many tales of high dollar carb overhauls or like one local that has been trying to get his carbs up to snuff (a good southern term) for 3 months.

It is such a shame that someone with design ability, and good flow knowledge has not designed a good set-up with a simple, easy to work on and rejet carb.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Thats a spread bore Edelbrock with smaller primaries than secondaries (right?)

The 10 mpg loss is permanent, its due to fuel flow problems due from the primaries being offset and problems in the intake manifold distribution. Tough to improve it without major work. This is where the original, diaphragm operated carbs rocked, they were balanced well and vacuum control gave good fuel mileage.

That offsets the problems with the stock carbs when the diaphragms refuse to open. I never could get WOT even when my 1200s were nearly new because of this.

Believe it or not, that carb may either be the same size, or smaller than the original 4 as far as airflow.

Years ago, Id put a square bore Holley 4779 on a GL1200, it was a nightmare to install and took a lot of modification to the carb.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Great work Jiggs.. Kudos to you for the imagination and ability to do the conversion..

I don't blame you for wanting to ride more than repair the bike.. What good is it if it just sits in the garage all the time...

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey Gang......
Wow!! Never really thought this thing would create such a tremor through the Wing group's.
Well at this time the two 1000's that we converted are doing great. lots of miles and not one problem, (did break a return spring) but that was minor.
Both units are achieving forty or fifty miles per gallon. From zero to ninty they are a thrill, My buddie has slid his wife off once and nearly so several times. Normaly they shift out to third at 90 plus. I am chicken, My wing has not been converted as yet. The reason is that the original carbs are fine and need nothing at this time. if one goes down then I will convert my 1100,but at this time all is well. I am going to install headers with large megaphone type blow tube's.
We have two or three local boys that want to have theres done but don't quite have the funds for all the parts, but soon they will join the eldabrock club.....
I talked to the young man that has the shop where all of this came to be and he is not quite ready to do them for public at this moment. Seems he has some idea of protecting his(our) plans and ideas. My self I would give all plans away as it is really a simple swap, however mine is not the last word, and yes it is a spread bore, small infront and large in rear, there is no dripping or mess, this unit runs clean and smooth and yet will get up and make you proud to have it under you. I am not sure as to what the total conversion would run, ball park figure gestimation would be around six to seven fifty. This would be the carb,intake,gaskets, tube's, and of course directions to finish it up. We are talking about just the 1000s as this is all we have completed, I was studying on a 1200 today, it looks to be much easier than the older ones. We must remember though that with fairings it could be more difficult or at least time consuming.
You do need a fairly complete shop with tools to tackel this project, and bring it to completion. I understand that not all riders have a shop to work in nor the tools, so if they should be made availible then we will have the a list that you would need to do it or know some one that you could take it to and have them install it for you. As I said it is simple at least for us. I myself do not do to much of the bull work, I prefer to do the tig welding if its stainless , or the fitting of componets. My best work is done sitting, as my knees are full of arthritis so I tend to not work to hard or long on projects.I will post any new proggress and also post new pictures as I take them. If you all need any one certian thing cleared up Just email or post and I will do my best to help.. thanks to all and hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

How can you make a man's mouth water? Tell him that it is right there but you might have to wait on a maybe!

Awesome that someone is keeping this alive. I have been searching for a way to modify my exhisting carbs on my 82 GL1100 and yet only yearn for the single carb manifold. I have mill and lathe and am wondering how involved. There is no info on jetting goldwings and I almost will do it myself but replacement parts are not as cheap through trial and error than a conversion would be, not to mention frustration and another possibility in the field. Any donated info would be fantabulous. I am 31 and love my wing. I have respect for old-schoolers because they do it for themselves and that is what I do. Good luck all!!

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

Just curious - why the 600cfm carb ? I would have thought a 500 would do it - would that improve gas mileage ?
Also, do you use one with an electric choke ? If I am not mistaken, my truck just had 12 volts at key on to set the choke, it was a 400M engine with a 600 edelbrock carb.

I think it is cool to see things like this. ANY alternative to keep these bikes on the road is ok by me. I really do not see any difference between a one carb setup and me putting GL1100 bags on my gl1000, whatever makes it work for me is what I like.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.