Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm currently researching/working on retrofitting an up to date electronic fuel injection systemfor the four cylinder Gold Wings. There are many benefits to this performance enhancing EFI system, especially as our Classic Wings become older and parts become more and more scarce.

The most commonly appliedsystem, I believe, would be the single point EFI because it would only require an easily fabricated single plenum manifold to mount the throttle body to and the other components would be integrated onto the Gold Wing. This single point EFI would lower top end power somewhat but would give superior fuel economy and bottom end torque and throttle response.

For those who want more power (like me) I am also working on a multi port EFI system that would allow for turbocharging their Wing (as I will be be doing to mine.)

I am not working alone on this project but I am working hard to get it off the ground and aiming to bring these systems to market as cost effectively as possible. Maybe even as DIY kits.

If there is any interest in this fuel injection project please let me know here or stop by and say hello to the group that is working with me on this at; http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrill/messages.msnw or you can come out and talk or listen on Pal Talk every Wednesday evening from 10P.M. Eastern time (U.S.) by downloading the Pal Talk communicator at www.paltalk.com and looking for the Back Yard Built Gold Wings group under "Miscellaneous"

Please let me know if you are interested.

Any and all comments are appreciated and may go a long way in helping to keep our Gold Wings running reliably for many years to come.

Vic

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

That does sound interesting. Single point would probably do fine the way the manifolds are laid out anyway.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The single point EFI would keep it less complicated for the average DIY type. Once the ECU is mapped and coordinated I can't see this being a hard install. Coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, map sensor and throttle position sensor should all be available inexpensively at salvage yards if the budget is tight.

This system, in my opinion,would eliminate carb synchronization, manual choke and would deliver smooth performance over four ill tuned carburettors.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

This is interesting Vic, I often wondered if its possible to adapt some car FI to a Wing. Of course not having the monet to buy a test bike for this project does hold me back. Lots of options though, over here the Bosch systems fitted to older Volkswagens (Golf, Polo etc) are very easy and cheapto obtain used.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
I thought that there might be more interest in this from the Guru's out here. Negative input is OK also.

Vic

I'm no guru by any strech, but I'm definately interested. I'd be after a system that would be simple to install and adjust, and would ease cold start-up. Low cost would be a plus as well. How difficult would adapting the electronics and programmong be?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Surely the hard part would be getting the whole thing to integrate with the ignition box on the 1200, or would you be replacing that with the car one?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Viv, Damn rite am interested,would be a great update for the 1000. I have a friend in Austin,Tx. that has been messing around in that direction for a couple years! Will see if I can "HOOK" U up with him? Smitty in Seguin,Tx. 4 cyl Wings 4 Ever!:action:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have a couple of buddies that have already built their own intake manifolds and it wasn't really a lot of work. One manifold is good for high RPM and the other is great for bottom end torque.

I am working with a company who can and will build a special EFIECU with spark control for the Wing that would not be too expensive in kit form. Once this was accomplished we'd be able to set our ignition timing for our specific needs ie. trailer towing, high performance etc. and we could even use the high voltage G.M. HEI car coils to double spark plug voltage.

The most expensive item at this pointseems to bethe fuel pump as it needs to be a compact, high pressure pump. Most car EFI fuel pumps are "in the tank" types and don't adapt too easily to our Wings, so if you know of any that may work for the EFI system on our Wings please let me know.

A single point throttle body EFI shouldn't be too hard to find in the auto salvage yards. Once we find the right components I believe that we may come up with a very worthwhile DIY project for our Wings that will give us a good return on investment.

If you come across anything that may work for this application please let me know.

Vic

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

If you could find an EFI from an86 ornewer Aspencade SE-I wouldyou be able to bolt it up to an earlier Goldwing or Aspencade? Thanks WyoWinger :shock:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Wyo, I think that's the route I'll go with my Wing because of the turbocharger install, but, for the average touring rider, single port EFI would have a far greater advantage, cost and maintenance wise, than multi port(SEi).

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The fuel injection is one of the things I like the best on my '86 SEI. The old machine startshot or cold, regardless of weather, and answers the throttle just as smoothly whether the engine is hot or cold. This engine is the finest running of any I've ever ridden in all conditions.

Automobiles got rid of carbs years ago, bikes should too. I think single point EFI would be the easiest and cleanest set up for retro fitting, and might be cheap enough to make it well worth while. The ability to be electronically programmed for performance or economy would be a nice side benefit too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.