Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After having my ride for 7 years with never breaking down, it broke the pull part of the throttle cable at the grip. I managed to get safely into a parking lot to assess the situation. I have the OEM tool kit and so I took the throttle assembly apart, hoping to find an easy fix. Nope, not happening. I used somecreative thinking and figured out that I could use the pair of pliers to pull on the cable by gripping real tight and actually rolling on the throttle using the grip as a pivot point of sorts. Made it back home without much to do and was safe. Wish I'd had visegrips but oh well.

Now to my question: anyone using Motion-Pro cables? I'm probably going to go ahead and replace the clutch cable too.

If not what is the general consensus of a good manufacturer of cables(besides Honda OEM)?

Hobie:waving:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I have had very good service life from Motion-pro cables on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, ATVs and just put a Motion-pro speedo cable on my 1500 last night, I thing they make a good replacement and a lot less coin than OEM

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

Have had Motionpro throttle cables on my 83 Aspy for 2 years no problems at all and they fit perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies, guys.:thumbsup:

I'll pick up the set. Might go ahead and replace the clutch cable also and lube the tach and speedo cables too.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i put a set on mine in 06 . fit perfect and still doing there job. just lube them with cable lube before you in stall them.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

They're ordered and I also got the cable lube attachment and their lube. I didn't go OEM because I've had very good luck with aftermarket and have saved some cash in the process.

I'm involved in two hobbies at the moment. Only have money for one....:sadguy::cheesygrin:My new S&W MP15 Sporter AR-15 is due any time now.

Btw, I hope that the cables I have for my '79 won't work on the '83. Hmm, just thought about that. It appears they have different part numbers. Hmmm.

Hobie.

BTW, thanks for the replies!!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Motion Pro makes excellent cables, at least oem quality. Plus they will make any cable in any length, though it isn't cheap. I have Motion Pro cables on my dual sport bike, and carry an extra throttle and clutch cable. But I have never had one break.

Your method of getting home reminds me of how I dealt with a broken throttle cable on a VW bug about 20 years ago. Myself and a couple of other people had been to the beach flying kites, and were on the way home when the cable broke. After thinking it over, I removed the broken piece of cable from the carb, and tied a piece of kite string to it. I ran the string through one of the vents in the rear lid, up over the top of the car, and through the vent window on the drivers door. I used that as a throttle the rest of the way home. Try that on one of these newfangled "fly by wire" systems, ala Toyota.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Motion Pro makes excellent cables, at least oem quality. Plus they will make any cable in any length, though it isn't cheap. I have Motion Pro cables on my dual sport bike, and carry an extra throttle and clutch cable. But I have never had one break.

Your method of getting home reminds me of how I dealt with a broken throttle cable on a VW bug about 20 years ago. Myself and a couple of other people had been to the beach flying kites, and were on the way home when the cable broke. After thinking it over, I removed the broken piece of cable from the carb, and tied a piece of kite string to it. I ran the string through one of the vents in the rear lid, up over the top of the car, and through the vent window on the drivers door. I used that as a throttle the rest of the way home. Try that on one of these newfangled "fly by wire" systems, ala Toyota.
:applause::cheesygrin:+1

Hobie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.