Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm no electrician, so if this makes you laugh...don't bust my chops TOO much k?! LOL!

Anyway, I upgraded my whole sound system on my 79 GL1000. I put in a new Kenwood cd player w/ Aux input, and new Kenwood 100W speakers. Here's my question....

Ready?

If the head unit puts out 50W per channel, then I would think having FR, FL, RR, and RL speakers, that would be the equiv of 200W...so is it possible to link the front and rear channels together to increase it from 50W per side to 100W?

Or would that fry things?

Thanks!

reply when you're done laughing.....

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well now I REALLY feel stupid. I've known about bridging for sub woofers, but in my brain, it only pertained to amplifiers. I didn't know you could do it to the head units too. I guess I'll tear it back down and splice those wires in.

Thanks! that's some good reading!!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Be VERY careful about doing that, it really depends on the unit. I sold/installed car audio for over 20 years. A few select Panasonic radios from the early 90's was the only ones you could do that to. They have an internal fader that does it at the preamp level and tying in any combination (two positives, front positive/rear neg) will usually end up with you going to the stereo place buying a new radio. Hope I caught you before diving into it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

So is there any way to bump it short of installing an amp?
Does fading to the front rob the power from the back and increase the front?

And thanks for the save. I'm off work in one hour and I was going straight out to the shop....

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

The 50W/channel that Kenwood talks about is really just a made up figure. Look at the CEA-2006 rating (most decent manufacturers are doing this nonw) or RMS rating. That's what the actual usable power is, probably 16-20 watts per channel if I had to guess, which is still quite a bit for a radio. The 50W rating is accomplished by having the volume turned up all the way, the bass and treble settings at max, bass boost turned on, etc. You cant listen to it like that, but it does 50W, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

graphicjunkie wrote:
So is there any way to bump it short of installing an amp?
Does fading to the front rob the power from the back and increase the front?

And thanks for the save. I'm off work in one hour and I was going straight out to the shop....
Not really. You can get more efficient speakers, which will increase the volume by 5-10% maybe, not really a noticeable difference. You're pretty much stuck with installing an amp. If you have a spot for rear speakers,that is the best way to get more sound without an amp or a higher power stereo. When you use your fader, it takes away from the rear when you go towards the front, but after the middle setting (0?) it doesnt get any louder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.